2022-23 College Basketball 🏀

1 Like

As an FYI, the three in 1970 were Jacksonville, New Mexico State, and St. Bonaventure.

3 Likes

Jacksonville with Artis Gilmore who played at Gardner Webb when it was a junior college.

2 Likes

Yep! And the Bonnies with NBA Hall of Famer Bob Lanier.

1 Like
1 Like

I think our NINERS were ranked 17th in the final AP poll just before our run to the FF in '77.

That sounds right :+1:

If I recall correctly, they used to do a poll after the Championship back then and we moved up at least to Top 10. Would possibly be higher if that ref had balls enough to call that foul that was committed against Maxwell.

1 Like

We were preseason Top 20 i believe because of the NIT the year before, so not as much of a surprise as these teams.

1 Like

Preseason #19 but dropped out by week two. Re-entered at #18 in week 15.

1 Like
2 Likes

What if the NCAA did this and killed the NIT off?

I’m not saying I’m for it, but I like thinking about it.

Run four regional 32 team tournaments, with the champs to the Final Four?

Possibly also guaranty a place for every regular season conference champ?

I don’t think it’s as terrible of an idea as I once thought. That is still only 35.7% of all of D1 basketball teams (128 of 358) getting in. 230 teams still sitting at home.

Pros:

  1. Introduces a larger path to the championship like CFP expansion (more competitiveness / parity).

  2. Ends the screw job 25+ win mid majors typically experience so the ACC or SEC can get their 10th place team in

  3. provides a pretty solid and uniform definition of success across all of MBB, and removes the stigma of the lesser tournaments.

  4. mo money mo money mo money ! (And a better chance of it getting to the mid majors that need it badly)

Cons

  1. Longer tournament (don’t necessarily think this is a bad thing)

  2. lessens the exclusivity (can also argue this as a pro - unifies MBB as having the same stakes across the country)

  3. does absolutely nothing to protect mid majors from being screwed by under-seeding and by pairing off for early elimination to keep the $ in the power leagues.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

I’m in favor of it.

Best sporting event in America by far and it would still include a lower percentage of teams than most playoff tournaments.

2 Likes

Reckon we woulda been in if it had 128 this year?