2022 49er Football Season 🏈

Win games

2 Likes

Just realized our Georgia St game in Atlanta is one day after the greatest live band in the world “The Killers”. What a weekend!!

The Braves play at home that weekend too. If you’re so inclined.

Yup. I love Healy but if he goes 5-7 or worse it’s time to look in a different direction. That would be 3 straight losing seasons (2 if you give a pass on the COVID year). With stadium expansion and conference change we desperately need to win games and get some excitement around this program.

We obviously need Reynolds to stay healthy and lots of improvement on defense. I think we get enough to go 6-6 or 7-5 if we can play better on the road.

3 Likes

The problem is the schedule gets tougher going forward and you have a 6th year QB that is excellent this year. You’d better win because it’s only going to get tougher.

I think anywhere from 5-7—>7-5 is the range, will be surprised if higher or lower than that.

For his sake and ours we’d better go bowling this year.

2 Likes

No way Healey and Sanchez both get replaced in the same year. Not happening.

1 Like

Agreed 100% better win this year.

1 Like

Sanchez gets the boot usless he performs a miracle. Healy get another season unless something is seriously wrong.

7 Likes

I agree. Also depends on how team looks and feels with Will. If they go 5-7 and get blown out in 6 of the 7 or something like that he’s gone. If he goes 4-8 but 7 of the 8 losses are close that might buy him a year.

My gut though says we surprise people and win in football. My guy says basketball will be bad. Hope I’m right and wrong.

3 Likes

The FAU game will tell us what to expect this yr. Win the first one and 7-8 wins could hapoen, lose and could be 4-5 wins

7 Likes

Will Healy brought a lot of optimism hype to this program. A 5-7 season will not put him in the hot seat due to the growing numbers of fans on since he arrived . This is a brutal schedule for us but prepares the team for the conference switch . I think we go 7-5 this year with the upset of Maryland at home .

3 Likes

I think the Maryland upset is a good bet, hopefully we don’t blow FAU out of the water week one and put Maryland on alert. We need them sleeping as the wonder down south.

1 Like

clt says we need to continue to build momentum for the big step up to the AAC

gotta bowl

2 Likes

Agreed, tough schedule. Unless the bottom falls out, Healy is not the problem. The challenge is that we must do our (fans, AD) part and get the stadium expansion done (total first phase: 30k+) after this season. Next year with going to the AAC and expanded stadium (or in progress), recruiting quality should improve dramatically. Healy needs the tools to work with. (BTW, I put little credence in the belief that stadium size has little to do with attracting recruits. When you are the smallest, it most assuredly does.)

5 Likes

We Have some serious headwinds - we need stadium expanded to 30k, operating budget increased by 20 mil and a NIL collective. We need more people chipping in. Pretty simple.

2 Likes

I don’t know where all this money is going to come from. I have been mulling it over and I don’t feel inclined to pay into an NIL fund no matter how badly I want us to win. It just doesn’t feel right, and honestly I have other priorities right now.

That kind of thing is going to require the combined effort of a wealthy class of donors. I don’t think average joes chipping in $100 or whatever is gonna do it. You’re talking about millions per year.

6 Likes

I agree NA. After Just putting 3 kids through college, the NIL deal is not going to work for me.
I still fully support the program, but like many others, I am not expecting anything big for football. Just go enjoy the event.

1 Like

We have a small fanbase compared to most schools we want to be competing with. Every year a new class graduates that got to experience football as students and that will add to the numbers but you can only suck so much out of the hardcore fans who have continued to support the athletic department over the last 15 years of mediocrity. And calling it mediocrity is being kind. It’s time to win. If you want more money and more donors you have to give them some motivation. The 2500 or so current donors only have so much disposable income to give and you can’t expect them to keep giving more with very little in return.

6 Likes

I would argue that our fanbase isn’t so much small (by comparison) as it is dormant. We’ve shown we can draw when we’re a winner (see basketball attendance pre Lutz firing). But yes, it’s not large by any means.

2 Likes

Yeah I agree that it has been much larger in the past but the only thing that will bring those fans back is winning. And some have been lost that will never come back.