2022 49er Football Season šŸˆ

As much emphasis & job security & perceived success is based on Bowl eligibilityā€¦ Iā€™m shocked as well that we donā€™t schedule a much softer OOC schedule especially if we need at least 1 pay game per year.

1 Like

Home wins over P5 schools are more important to me than a bowl. I want both but give me all the P5s at home I can get. That Duke game was something else, imagine if itā€™s Chapel Hill, State, or Ole Miss and we get the W. I might not survive it haha.

2 Likes

Successful G5 programs are built on P5 wins. Cant win them if we dont play them!

2 Likes

From what I have seen, it seemed that Bowl eligibility is the measure of success. I agree playing P5s, especially at home is good for the program. However, I do not think the P5s we are playing will move the needle into the Successful G5 category. Beating the Tarholes, Wolfpack, and Gamecocks would be awesome and be tremendous help recruiting. Duke, Ilinois, Maryland, Indiana and teams like that is only good for us fans if we win.

1 Like

Chapel Hill

Playing a P5 - win or loss, put a light on the program thats good. Playing at home generates interest amongst our fans and casual fans. Sure beating Chapel Hill or State is bigger, but any win against a P5 program be it Duke or otherwise is huge for the program, especially one as young as ours.

I do agree and maybe that is the best approach. However, I do think a Wins are more important no matter who it is against. Going 11-1, 10-2, 9-3 will do more for the program. We beat Duke this year, but we were all complaining about not being bowl eligible and could not even sellout the stadium.

Yeah but that Duke game got national attention and galvanized the fanbase for the season. I think wins are important but a win vs a B10 team probably means more to this fanbase than beating another G5 program in a bowl game.

Of course this discussion is an old one amongst G5 fanbases.

Letā€™s just say this - letā€™s go win them all!

2 Likes

I got multiple comments from people downtown prior to the Clemson-UGA game the day after we beat Duke when I was pre-gaming wearing my Niner hat. The comments after a bowl appearance I wager would have been zero.

I want both but would be livid if we didnā€™t have P5 home games in an effort to get bowl eligible.

3 Likes

Fans and programs LOVE the P5 wins more than playing in a Bowl for sureā€¦

Iā€™m just shocked from a Coaching standpoint. The odds of scheduling a P5 game whether at home or on the road that you have a chance to win and then actually do win is very very few and far between. Helps the program when you winā€¦but if you lose 6 to every one you win, a coach isnā€™t necessarily getting a boost from it. The risk/reward doesnā€™t line up for what a Coach needs for longevity, stability or upward mobility.

Itā€™s much more likely that you are able to schedule a game you can win that you actually do win that helps get you to Bowl eligibility. Since you need 6 wins, that 1 win gets you 1/6 of the way to Bowl eligibility in a season with just 12 games. And again, whether we like it or not or agree with it or notā€¦Bowl eligibility is to football coaches what making the NCAA Tourney is for basketball coaches. It is the bar of success.

The program gets more out of the extremely rare and ocassional P5 win but I would think Coaches want the Bowl eligibility. But how much say do the coaches have in setting the schedule? Is that more an AD thing or a current coach thingā€¦since they are scheduled so far out in advance maybe itā€™s more an AD thing and the coaches just have to deal with it.

I think for a coach that P5 win puts you on P5 job radars also keep in mind that unlike basketball, football scheduling is often done at least partially at the AD level with OOC games scheduled well in advance - i think these games were scheduled while Lambert was still here.
Edit: MD game was scheduled in 2016

clt reminds folks it is #P6

2 Likes

Iā€™m not going to worry about you too much!

1 Like

Based on the posts on this site, we quickly forgot about the Duke win and complained about collapsing and not making a bowl.

The Duke win did get us more fans but by the end of the year we could not sell out a home game.

I like playing against the big boys but making a bowl and winning is important.

Thanks for the welcome ā€œYā€™allā€! Yes, we are Nittany Lions fans but not Nittany Lion cult fansā€¦meaning we were not born into it and didnā€™t grow up in PA but my wife did get her masters there! We are used to getting over hyped leading up to the season and through early October until we play Ohio State and Michigan. I will say we love to tailgate and HAPPY VALLEY does have some of the best tailgates in the country!!!

What are the "Forty Niner Seat Licenses (FSLs)?

When you buy season tickets does that include a parking pass and would an employee be able to park on campus the day of a game with there parking pass that they use for work?

Will any of you guys be making the trip to USC?

Being a new program we have had to build everything. FSLs were used to help fund the stadium. They are $1000 for each seat. With a donation of, I think it is still $250, it locks those specific seats in. If you donā€™t pay the 250 the seat location may move but you will always have a seat. I do not believe there is a discount for employees on FSLs. Just on season tickets if purchased without FSLs. Most of the season tickets are towards the endzone. If you want season tickets down the sideline I THINK you still need an FSL for that.

The season tickets do not include a parking pass. That is tied to the donor levels. We have lots all over campus, from basically I donā€™t donate (far away lot) to $5,500 and up lot (near the stadium). A way to park closer is to buy a pass in a parking deck and walk to a tailgate.

We will be going to USC and GA State this fall. I own the Normbulance. A tailgate rig that was once an ambulance and is named after the mascot. You are more than welcome to join our tailgate and meet some Niners both at USC and at home games. I am not sure if I am going to tailgate GSU, might just go for the game. For home games we have tailgated on the sidewalk right at the stadium and the tailgate has become quite the party.

We won. If we had scheduled EMU and won we still wouldnā€™t have made a bowl but would have missed out on a national TV victory against an ACC opponent with an iconic field rushing that was all over sports news the next day.

Also letā€™s not forget when we followed the ā€œsoft schedulingā€ strategy and played EMU, Temple, and UMASS we lost 5 of those 6 games.

To be the man youā€™ve got to beat the man, and your chances of doing that are greater when youā€™re playing at home.

1 Like

Anybody know anything about Greg Brown?

1 Like
2 Likes

Yes, we are his 23rd football job and his last one was as a volunteer, and he accepted a position where he will be ā€œco-DCā€ with a guy who was terrible, but was kept on staff because he is best buddies with HCā€¦not good.

2 Likes