2023 49er Football Season 🏈

Julius Welschof, he on the roster #96.

1 Like

No way he doesn’t have an open competition for QB1. No way.

Jones isn’t good enough to warrant that.

You don’t do that unless you get a proven FBS starter that you can point to and say boys this guys got x starts and x stats in FBS. You have to beat him out.

Hypothetical let’s say Hudson Card had transferred here. That would do it.

2 Likes

He has said openly that it will be competition and that he potentially plays multiple QBs depending on situation. I am not sure why someone would assume that when the coach said one thing, he’s actually going to do something else. He brought Jones in to raise the level of competition for the job, however Coach Poggi does not strike me as a coach who guarantees recruits starting positions. He guarantees players an opportunity to compete to be the starter. If someone separates himself from the group, I would think he would be the starter. I also would not expect a starter to be named publicly until the week of Sept 2nd, however I would think multiple QBs play against SC State.

We better have 2 guys ready by September, with a 3rd QB at least capable of lining up against legit defenses. In my mind, it’s not necessarily who runs or passes better, it’s who can protect the football without interceptions or fumbles. We will need to get many more turnovers than we lose to have a successful season. If they protect the football, then punts can be part of winning.

clt says we are going to run the damn ball

3 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

Expect players to transfer after Spring game.

The transfers will consist of players being beaten out by others and not upholding their end of the requirements to be on the team.

1 Like

Any guesses as to who? Im guessing healy’s guys

1 Like

I don’t know anyone that may transfer because of getting beaten out but that is common. The 2nd one I mentioned, I do not know specific names but understand there may be a few.

To be honest, the roster has really turned over and I have not really followed the players to much. Going to let the roster and depth chart settle down before I get excited. I do want to see Xavier win the QB spot as he is a winner to me. Seems like he is in the same position as Chris was when Healy tried to find a better QB but could not.

1 Like
5 Likes

That man holds all the remaining threads of hope that I still possess.

Don’t let me down Coach!

8 Likes

I’m coming to the spring game. Never been before, no idea what to expect

1 Like

Same here. I don’t really know what you can learn from a glorified practice. Offense makes a great play… or bad defense? Defense makes a great play… or bad offense? It seem conflicting. lol

In my experience the defense usually has the upper hand as the offense is not fully installed / featured / QB may not be decided or is still learning.

I do think it is cool that the coaches are going to pick teams and play a true game. We have done glorified drills in prior spring games.

3 Likes

I like that it’s going to be treated like a real game, especially with all the new faces (and hopefully depth).

1 Like