2023 Softball šŸ„Ž

Obviously, the all-regional teams go like this: regional winner 4 regional finalist 3 single game winner 2
two game loser 1. Simplifies the thinking process :roll_eyes:

1 Like

From what I saw this weekend, the people in charge of that regional need things simplified for them.

So proud of our softball team!

2 Likes

Just saw a video from Jomboy where he discusses softball regionals. He talked about the Duke game for a little bit and agrees that calling that blocking the plate was a bad call.

2 Likes

Here is the Jomboy video for others. Had some other fun or interesting things in the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z560OpKO_3E&pp=ygUMam9tYm95IG1lZGlh

Go Ella !

OK. I was avoiding replay of the obstruction call til now because I didnā€™t want to be pissed off.
Looks to me as if the call was technically right, but not in the spirit of the intention of the rule.
Very tough break for us.

I feel like our other pitchers will improve over the off season to the point of giving Gress consistent relief.
She needs that.
BTW, I watched Dukeā€™s press conference after the game. I had to laugh when that ā€œlean backā€ pitcher who came out of the game in seventh said she was ā€œgassedā€ at that point. One inning on Friday. A little work on Saturday and what? 5 innings on Sunday and she was ā€œgassedā€ Work on that conditioning this summer, girl. :laughing:

Comments below the video above that make sense:

ā€œPer the rules: 9.5.1 Obstruction occurs when a defensive player, not in possession of the ball nor in the act of fielding a batted ball, impedes a batterā€™s attempt to make contact with a pitch or impedes the progress of any runner who is legally running bases on a live ball. I would argue the catcher was fielding the ball, given were the pitcher relayed it to her. You can see that she only touched her knee and completely blocked the plate after she got the ball.ā€

ā€œSo the rule says ā€˜impedes the runnerā€™. Iā€™d say the runner was still so far from home plate, the catcher wasnā€™t impeding her progress when she wasnā€™t fielding the ball yet. Only when she was in possession did she impede the runner, which is legal.ā€

You be the judge (video set up to the controversial play):

Also of note, all reviews from this past weekend in the Durham Regional were sent to a studio in Pittsburgh for review. Iā€™m guessing the NCAA had an office setup for all the reviews from the 16 sites. So the decision to make an obstruction call was made off-site by someone we will never know.

That is correct. They made mention of the ā€œPittsburgh officeā€ during the broadcast.

clt says mean joe needs to talk to his pittsburgh people

1 Like

If anyone thinks that weā€™d have gotten that same call, please contact me. Iā€™ve got some real estate that Iā€™d like to talk to you about.

4 Likes

yes, this is 100% DOBA.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a bullshit call. Ball beat her there by at least two steps. No way that call should be made

Does anyone have a link to a similar play that was ruled legal last weekend. I think it was Floriduh State?
Since it was the same people (Pittsburgh) , Iā€™d like to see how consistent they were with rule interpretation.

I dont have a link, but i dont think a challenge was issued on it, so i dont think it was reviewed.

https://twitter.com/dalevannoy/status/1661521485008183297?t=iBWx5CoYIN8E8Vy5Io27eA&s=19

2 Likes

Name wrong and wrong logo, impressive!

Theyā€™ve already got jerseys for sale!!

5 Likes

No one picked up Kassidy ?