2026 49er Football Week 3 - Game #3 @ App State - 9/19 6PM ESPN+

I’m going 24-21 App but hope it is reversed.

Just the opposite, Charlotte by a field goal, 24-21

3 Likes

https://x.com/CharlotteFTBL/status/2100571972950229167

3 Likes

49-6 App. Hope I’m very wrong

I think we’ll play ok into the 4th quarter. Likely not enough to get the win though. 31-21 App.

1 Like

41-17 App state

I think it will be a 28-30 point game and then we score late to cut the lead to 21-24 points

I know I’m being really pollyannaish about this, particularly given how disgusted I was walking out of the Rich after the Citadel game, but I think that ā€œleapā€ everyone talks about between game 1 and game 2 was evident at Ole Miss. There were a lot of positives (negatives too of course), but I just feel like the Niners will make a game of it.

Here’s the thing, we can be much better between season 1 and season 2, but it’s not always reflected in the wins and losses. Clearly I want wins. I can’t say if Appy is that good (after beating ECU) or if ECU isn’t as good as many expected. Hats off to Appy, but I just feel better about the Niners after Ole Miss than I did going into the game.

I won’t predict the score, but I think the NIners will surprise (in a good way)…if we get gob-smacked again, then I’ll put down the Guinness and join the doom and gloomers.

4 Likes

I’m with you, I’m feeling better after our trip to Oxford. I think Appy will look small and slow compared to the boys at Ole Miss. Hopefully the coaches can put together a good gameplan.

2 Likes

If this was app’s team last year I would feel more bullish about keeping it competitive. I think their team this year is infinitely better and they will bully our defense. 49-20 App

I’m in a wait and see mode.

This game should tell us everything we need to know about this year’s team. Also think the Louisiana game could be confirmation. But nonetheless I expect to find out who we are this weekend.

https://x.com/camwillsports/status/2100590453087162617?s=20

FYI - Rod Green is a 5th year OL, Originally a transfer from Purdue. Played in 9 games last season.

An App fan told me today he took us with the 21 points. I told him he was crazy. He thinks they will have a let down from last week and be looking forward to NC State next week. I told him I would never beat on us covering the spread.

That might be my favorite uniform combo.

I will only make a partial prediction. I predict Charlotte 27. I know that Charlotte has an offense, and can put points on the board. Unfortunately, I can’t begin to guess how many App State will score, as I am not yet convinced that Charlotte has a sound defense. The third quarter at Old Miss gives me hope that the defense is coming together, and that they have the potential to get some stops. Until they play a whole game, I will remain a skeptic.

Since I believe that it’s defense that wins games, I will have little hope for wins this year until the defense convinces me that they are ready to play. The funny thing is that, as I watch the games, I like the defensive players, and don’t see obvious weaknesses, but as a unit, they just aren’t getting it done.

4 Likes

Let’s hope part of their game plan is not to purposely try to hurt our qb as it obviously has been in the past. And they did the first time we played them in Tweetsieville.

4 Likes

I just saw that sort of play by Jacksonville State last week. They took out the starting QB with a targeting hit that got the Jax St player ejected. Then they took out the backup with a late hit out of bounds, resulting in a personal foul. They lost anyway when a true Freshman QB scored in OT. Let’s hope App State doesn’t resort to that, and if they do, they lose. I think Charlotte could go three deep at QB.

App has a history of giving up first scores. If we can get a quick score and then a turnover, we could take the crowd out of the game and make it interesting. Also, the weather could get sloppy, which could cause more turnovers, which could bounce our way. Lots of ā€œifsā€ but those are what can lead to an upset. Finally, although they are 2-0, their coach has made some questionable, if not bonehead, clock management decisions. If we keep it close…

Prediction (head over heart): App 28 Us 20

I think we will look (OK), Not bad - not great.
We will Score a TD and a couple of field goals but App gets 24 to 31.

If we cannot beat Appalachian

1 Like

(49ER9ER If we cannot beat Appalachian)

Well - We can’t. So what do we do?? Fire the coach, Fire the AD?? Been there - Done that…