24-34

Thereā€™s an ignore user feature? Seriously?

haha, who are you aching to ignore?

Itā€™s hard for me to make too much of the RPI. Obviously, it is an important component for the NCAA selection. But itā€™s just hard for me to understand how we can be 122 and how are other teams are ranked higher? For instance, I donā€™t see why were behind these teams:

Rank School W-L RPI Rank Rating
60 Wright St 3-2 0.5913 9 0.6306
66 Portland St 4-4 0.5862 54 0.5711
72 UL Monroe 3-4 0.5815 37 0.5901
76 Hampton 4-4 0.5770 47 0.5764
77 Toledo 2-7 0.5739 1 0.7007
85 Wofford 1-2 0.5665 5 0.6442
94 Southern Illinois 3-3 0.5561 39 0.5866
99 Northeastern 3-5 0.5506 69 0.5591

[QUOTE=Normmm;275533]Itā€™s hard for me to make too much of the RPI. Obviously, it is an important component for the NCAA selection. But itā€™s just hard for me to understand how we can be 122 and how are other teams are ranked higher? For instance, I donā€™t see why were behind these teams:

99 Northeastern 3-5 0.5506 69 0.5591[/QUOTE]

I need some math guy to explain it properly, but it has to do with that same issue that Sagarin has early in the season. There havenā€™t been enough games to link everybody yet. Prior to that, the 2nd RPI component - your [B]opponents winning %[/B] carries so much weight that it skews the results.

Once everybody has played everybody, the entire thing begins to sort out based on how each team did. Your winning % becomes the determinative characteristic.

Having said that, we have played a bunch of traditional small conference kings, so we may still be setup for the rare continual late season RPI boost if they get on a roll in conference. Thatā€™s only if they start winning though. Iā€™m confident Davidson will once they get over the shell shock of their early schedule. App State thoughā€¦ wow. They are a mess. Gotta believe I was wrong about their prospects this season.

I need some math guy to explain it properly, but it has to do with that same issue that Sagarin has early in the season. There haven't been enough games to link everybody yet. Prior to that, the 2nd RPI component - your [B]opponents winning %[/B] carries so much weight that it skews the results.

Once everybody has played everybody, the entire thing begins to sort out based on how each team did. Your winning % becomes the determinative characteristic.

Having said that, we have played a bunch of traditional small conference kings, so we may still be setup for the rare continual late season RPI boost if they get on a roll in conference. Thatā€™s only if they start winning though. Iā€™m confident Davidson will once they get over the shell shock of their early schedule. App State thoughā€¦ wow. They are a mess. Gotta believe I was wrong about their prospects this season.

Also, home games count less towards the RPI than road games, and we have 0 road games so far.

RPI=BCS. The only difference in the two is basketball has a playoff at the end to even out any computer discrepancies. Bottom line is that computerā€™s cannot tell us who the best teams are.

haha, who are you aching to ignore?

Actually, itā€™s just the opposite. It seems like a middle schoolerā€™s solution to a disagreement to me. Kind of like blocking people on AIM.

It's hard for me to make too much of the RPI. Obviously, it is an important component for the NCAA selection. But it's just hard for me to understand how we can be 122 and how are other teams are ranked higher? For instance, I don't see why were behind these teams:

99 Northeastern 3-5 0.5506 69 0.5591

Normmm - teams play their non-con games first and the conference games last. So if youā€™re Toledo, you can go up against Vandy, Pitt, URI, Dayton, etc and get a nice RPI with a 2-7 record. But the schedule strengths (and consequently, the RPI) for most of those teams will change significantly once they start playing their conference games.

Iā€™m surprised you included Southern Illinois. Itā€™s not too shocking that weā€™re behind them since theyā€™re a good team - and their losses included us, Indiana, and USC (the California one)

[QUOTE=TheNinerAlchemist;275548]Actually, itā€™s just the opposite. It seems like a middle schoolerā€™s solution to a disagreement to me. Kind of like blocking people on AIM.[/QUOTE]

Ignoring people is middle school? So you would rather they continue an argument with someone that is clearly seeking to be inflammatory?

[QUOTE=Submarley734;275546]Bottom line is that computerā€™s cannot tell us who the best teams are.[/QUOTE]

Agreed! I also agree that there needs to be some sort of attempt to calculate rankings so that they donā€™t come across as completely human bias. That might be even worse for the 49ers.

I agree that it weighs road games heavier, but I believe there are a couple of teams where they have rated a teams road losses higher than our home wins, which is completely screwed. Like #72 UL Monroe. They have 1 home win, 1 road win and one neutral win. Yet theyā€™re 50 places higher than Charlotte in the rankings.

Like #72 UL Monroe. They have 1 home win, 1 road win and one neutral win. Yet they're 50 places higher than Charlotte in the rankings.

UL Monroe is 3-4 in a ā€œconferenceā€ with Kansas, Michigan State, Mississippi, and Iowa. They also have Stephen F. Austin (6-1) in their ā€œconferenceā€, which may not sound too hot ā€¦but those 6 wins included Oklahoma. UL Monroe has yet to play a team in the Sun Belt.

I think the computerā€™s conclusions are reasonable so far. Expect changes.

[QUOTE=survivor45;275553]Normmm - teams play their non-con games first and the conference games last. So if youā€™re Toledo, you can go up against Vandy, Pitt, URI, Dayton, etc and get a nice RPI with a 2-7 record. But the schedule strengths (and consequently, the RPI) for most of those teams will change significantly once they start playing their conference games.

Iā€™m surprised you included Southern Illinois. Itā€™s not too shocking that weā€™re behind them since theyā€™re a good team - and their losses included us, Indiana, and USC (the California one)[/QUOTE]

I agree Southern Ill is tough, and theyā€™re not that much ahead of us. But it just seems to me the formula should use common sense some how too. They have one more loss than we do, they 3 less wins than we do and the only thing in common on the 2 of our schedules thus far is the game between the 2 of us. We won. Thereā€™s no way they should be ahead of us. I could understand for instance if So. Ill had beaten GT and/or Monmouth that they would be a head of us. I just think the system has some short comings.

[QUOTE=Normmm;275558]
I agree that it weighs road games heavier, but I believe there are a couple of teams where they have rated a teams road losses higher than our home wins, which is completely screwed. Like #72 UL Monroe. They have 1 home win, 1 road win and one neutral win. Yet theyā€™re 50 places higher than Charlotte in the rankings.[/QUOTE]

A road loss counts against you and a home win helps you, therefore you are not correct. The multiplier on a road loss is less than on a road win, the same with home win vs loss. So, a road loss will not hurt you as much as a home loss (or neutral loss, which has no modifier), but a home win will not help you as much as a road win. There is no human bias in the RPI, except for the weighting. Those changes were made because the committee felt like teams were being rewarded for playing at home, where it is much easier for them to win.

The reason the RPI is out of whack right now is that, as others have noted, everyone hasnā€™t played everyone else. Your teams W/L record is a big part of the formula, but also your opponentsā€™ records and the records of your opponentsā€™ opponents.

P.S. The RPI is not the BSC. That factors in the coaches poll, which is the most biased poll in existence.

Also, the RPI does not say who the best team is, it calculates who has performed best against the best competition. It generates a SOS off of the strength of who you are playing, how they are doing and how the teams they played are doing.

The wrinkle of weighting is what has thrown a lot of people into a tizzy, especially power conference teams that were doing well at home against even good teams. You schedule a solid team at home and beat them, with even weighting, you are going to have a good RPI. Syracuse is a good example of a team that has been drastically hurt by the new RPI.

[QUOTE=survivor45;275564]UL Monroe is 3-4 in a ā€œconferenceā€ with Kansas, Michigan State, Mississippi, and Iowa. They also have Stephen F. Austin (6-1) in their ā€œconferenceā€, which may not sound too hot ā€¦but those 6 wins included Oklahoma.

I think the computerā€™s conclusions are reasonable so far. Expect changes.[/QUOTE]

I donā€™t think so. Especially when it has UL Mon 50 places higher than Charlotte. Youā€™re telling me itā€™s better to reward a UL Monroe loss to Kansas by 29 because it was on the road than a Charlotte win at home against App State by 6?

Except, they were still dinged for a loss and we were still rewarded for a win.

Ignoring people is middle school? So you would rather they continue an argument with someone that is clearly seeking to be inflammatory?
PB, your speaking to someone who dresses up part Little Richard/part Harry Potter's instructor/part Liberacci to basketball games while making Pepsi CEO assasination vids on youtube. :confused:
I don't think so. Especially when it has UL Mon 50 places higher than Charlotte. You're telling me it's better to reward a UL Monroe loss to Kansas by 29 because it was on the road than a Charlotte win at home against App State by 6?

Yes.

[QUOTE=metro;275576]PB,
your speaking to someone who dresses up part Little Richard/part Harry Potterā€™s instructor/part Liberacci to basketball games while making Pepsi CEO assasination vids on youtube. :confused:[/QUOTE]

Some might knock my basketball attire during collegeā€¦

to me the RPI is very fair at the end of the year, its hard to look at the RPI at the end of the year and have any arguments. I remember when we used to hover around 30 quite often and you could hear the steam coming out of BCS campuses locally because facts were facts.