24-34

to me the RPI is very fair at the end of the year, its hard to look at the RPI at the end of the year and have any arguments. I remember when we used to hover around 30 quite often and you could hear the steam coming out of BCS campuses locally because facts were facts.

It ends up seeming more fair bc of the NCAA tourney. If the final RPI rankings were the final word, and the number one played number two, and that was it, everyone would hate it. The RPI #1 team at the end of the year is usually not the best team in the country.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;275567]A road loss counts against you and a home win helps you, therefore you are not correct. The multiplier on a road loss is less than on a road win, the same with home win vs loss. So, a road loss will not hurt you as much as a home loss (or neutral loss, which has no modifier), but a home win will not help you as much as a road win. There is no human bias in the RPI, except for the weighting. Those changes were made because the committee felt like teams were being rewarded for playing at home, where it is much easier for them to win.

The reason the RPI is out of whack right now is that, as others have noted, everyone hasnā€™t played everyone else. Your teams W/L record is a big part of the formula, but also your opponentsā€™ records and the records of your opponentsā€™ opponents.[/QUOTE]

I understand that. But look at UL Monroeā€™s results thus far. Tell me on a game by game basis how they are 50 spots higher than Charlotte. I agree the Iowa win is better than anything Charlotte has. But they also have 3 really bad road losses, worse than anything Charlotte has, that do not seem to drag down their RPI.

Date Opponent Result
Nov 9 @ Kansas L 78-107
Nov 13 vs Non-Div I W 60-53 (CBE Classic)
Nov 14 @ Michigan St L 65-83 (CBE Classic)
Nov 21 @ Stephen F. Austin L 68-71
Nov 24 @ Mississippi L 70-94
Nov 27 Alcorn St W 105-75
Nov 30 @ Iowa W 72-67 OT (Hawkeye Invitational)
Dec 1 vs Rice W 80-67 (Hawkeye Invitational)

The RPI at the end of the season, not at the end of the tournament.

The RPI is used to gauge at-large bids, not who is the best team in the country. BUt if you are performing well enough to be in the top 30 in the RPI, you are usually a team that is going to be good enough to win a national championship.

[QUOTE=Normmm;275587]I understand that. But look at UL Monroeā€™s results thus far. Tell me on a game by game basis how they are 50 spots higher than Charlotte. I agree the Iowa win is better than anything Charlotte has. But they also have 3 really bad road losses, worse than anything Charlotte has, that do not seem to drag down their RPI.

Date Opponent Result
Nov 9 @ Kansas L 78-107
Nov 13 vs Non-Div I W 60-53 (CBE Classic)
Nov 14 @ Michigan St L 65-83 (CBE Classic)
Nov 21 @ Stephen F. Austin L 68-71
Nov 24 @ Mississippi L 70-94
Nov 27 Alcorn St W 105-75
Nov 30 @ Iowa W 72-67 OT (Hawkeye Invitational)
Dec 1 vs Rice W 80-67 (Hawkeye Invitational)[/QUOTE]

So what youā€™re saying is, you donā€™t understand that the RPI doesnā€™t matter yet? No one is using the RPI as a judge right now.

It ends up seeming more fair bc of the NCAA tourney. If the final RPI rankings were the final word, and the number one played number two, and that was it, everyone would hate it. The RPI #1 team at the end of the year is usually not the best team in the country.
certainly, I agree with that. I think the RPI though at the end of "regular season" is usually spot on in terms of ranking teams on performance and no bias, and the RPI is DOBA for seeding teams.

Last yearā€™s final reg season RPI:
http://kenpom.com/rpi.php?y=2007

[QUOTE=Powerbait;275590]So what youā€™re saying is, you donā€™t understand that the RPI doesnā€™t matter yet? No one is using the RPI as a judge right now.[/QUOTE]

Somewhat. I agree the significance of it right now is minimal. I just donā€™t understand how we can be 50 spots behind a UL Monroe right now. All though the RPI will not be used until the end of the season. Analyst do bring it up through out the entire season.

even if the rpi were a predictor currently (which it isnā€™t)ā€¦ i think weā€™re all getting just a touch excited over our string of 3 Wā€™s vs quality opponents (even if it was at home). While we should be exicted, its a loooooooong way to march and any rpi/tourney talk should be tempered by looking at what we were hoping for before the season started. even if all we do is make the NIT, with all our new players, lutzā€™s situation, etc. etc., Iā€™ld consider this season a success. sit back and enjoy the niner ride. :slight_smile:

It is an interesting talking point, but to look at it realistically this early in the season will be befuddled.

How is this for RPI gatorade, on tuesday Southern Illinois plays the #1 ranked RPI team, St. Marys.

How is this for RPI gatorade, on tuesday Southern Illinois plays the #1 ranked RPI team, St. Marys.
yep, I posted that above. If SIU can beat St Marys our RPI will jump significantly
yep, I posted that above. If SIU can beat St Marys our RPI will jump significantly
They also play Butler in Non-conf.

SIUā€™s RPI will jump significantly and weā€™ll get to brag about beating a good opponent.

But our 50% opponentā€™s record will only go from (24-34) to (25-34). A single game wonā€™t boost it that much. We really need the entire group of opponents to establish a trend of winning games.

PB, your speaking to someone who dresses up part Little Richard/part Harry Potter's instructor/part Liberacci to basketball games while making Pepsi CEO assasination vids on youtube. :confused:

Well, actually Iā€™d rather them resolve their argument gracefully with sound reasoning, overall politeness, and, most importantly, a distinguishable respect for the other person.

Oh, AND name calling.

seriously, what a nasty reply from our friend Bust. I simply was informing him I could not see his reply and I assumed it missed the point in regards to RPI. As for the insults, keyboard courage is highly overrated, my policy is never say online what you would not in person, and if he ever wished to say those unkind things in person, I'd wager he'd have an upleasant experience. I would wish him Merry Christmas but he probably is one of those "Happy Holidays" types.
Yes, you have never thrown insults my way. At least mine are accurate. I would say it to your face but you are the kind of Neanderthal who would resort to violence. (That and we have only seen each other once for a half minute and under pleasant circumstances so opportunities are slim.) Merry Christmas 'll do just fine. Same to you and yours.

But I didnā€™t mean to hijack this thread. Feel free to float me a PM if you want to continue this fun little convo. I wonā€™t be able reply tho since, ya know, you have me ignored.

GO NINERS!!! AND GO FRIENDSHIP!!!

go banana.

I donā€™t think metro is going to resort to violence.

But, then again, he is one of the few I havenā€™t met in person.

I have met most of the people here that people said would resort to violence though, and not one of them has ever raised a fist in anger when Iā€™ve been around (although there is a story about the picassoā€™s atm).

The RPI at the end of the season, not at the end of the tournament.

The RPI is used to gauge at-large bids, not who is the best team in the country. BUt if you are performing well enough to be in the top 30 in the RPI, you are usually a team that is going to be good enough to win a national championship.

From 1998-99 to 2004-05 (and probably since the RPIā€™s inception), all teams finishing in top 30 of the RPI got a bid and all but 1 team every other year (two teams once in '00) in the top 40 of the RPI got a bid. Then in 05-06 (coincidentally the year that the MVC finished ahead of the Pac10 and had 6 teams all above 34 RPI) they decided to stop doing that and kept the 21st and 30th (and 39th and 40th) team in the RPI out. Appears that the committeeā€™s opinion of the RPI has drastically shifted. At least drastically as far as bubble teams go. Iā€™m not sure what to expect out of them anymore.

Anybody know how many people in the AP/USA Today Coaches poll are also on the selection committee in a given year?

Just win baby

I don't think metro is going to resort to violence.

But, then again, he is one of the few I havenā€™t met in person.

I have met most of the people here that people said would resort to violence though, and not one of them has ever raised a fist in anger when Iā€™ve been around (although there is a story about the picassoā€™s atm).

metro has sent me PMs saying he was going to beat me up before. :lmao:

[QUOTE] This message is hidden because [B]eason49[/B] is on your [URL=http://www.ninernation.net/forum/profile.php?do=editlist]ignore list[/URL].[/QUOTE]

huh?