A-10 announces TV sked

[QUOTE=ChevEE;264113]I wouldn’t be surprised to see Sig Sports pick up the rest and show some of them… This sucks!!![/QUOTE]

I would, unless they find a big-time sponsor. Those guys are Charlotte grads, but that doesn’t make them more likely to make a bad business decision out of the kindness of their hearts, I’m sure.

[QUOTE=metro;264117]I am just tired of the shaft. This school has limited fan base as it is, it seems like being a 49er fan is the hardest job in the world. When you see schools like Davidson and UNCW getting superior TV packages, it makes you wonder who has the rudder.[/QUOTE]

Some of Davidson’s TV fortune is determined by the opponents they play – on the road, or at least not in their home building – in non-conference. McKillop can schedule well. They may be Top 25 preseason, and 4-6 after 10 games. And still win their conference and go to the NCAAs.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;264115]St. Joe’s a few years ago, other Philly schools, Xavier recently were among the best things you had for leverage. Great basketball played there historically. Somehow no one took advantage of that moment in the conference’s history. MASN would be, as I said, the best fit. I’d love to see more of your games on TV. [B]I’m not coming out to a bunch of games, but I’d watch if they were on TV, even if it was just as background noise for something else. I tend to watch most of what’s on[/B].[/QUOTE]

BINGO. And that’s exactly what you’re trying to capture. Mike’s piddling away at the office or at home, Niners versus Xavier in the background, and suddenly it’s a tight game with 2 minutes to go, and the dramatic happens. That’s how you start water cooler talk and get people interested.

I have to say, we spend a lot of time talking about the “glory days” in CUSA, but honestly, I never felt like the league arrived until I saw two top 5 teams, both from CUSA, playing at Marquette, as ESPN’s showcase college basketball product that week. The brand new floor, the marquette fans decked out in yellow, and the intense play on the floor were TV gold. It was everything I want us to be part of (and, in fairness to us, we had some showcase games ourselves too, but not quite that good).

[QUOTE=metro;264117] it seems like being a 49er fan is the hardest job in the world.

[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way sometimes. Our TV deal is crappy and we can’t hear our radio broadcast outside of the 485 loop. How are we going to follow the team on the road??? Maybe we could find a place that actually picks up FNZ’s signal and we could all meet there for road game listening parties. This is depressing…

[QUOTE=Mr. Bojangles;264123]Maybe we could find a place that actually picks up FNZ’s signal and we could all meet there for road game listening parties.[/QUOTE]

This is definitely NOT the worst idea ever. However, I’d hate to be there if we start losing.

PS - I was throwing some love earlier re: your avatar Mr. B. Galen FTW!

[QUOTE=Mr. Bojangles;264123]I feel the same way sometimes. Our TV deal is crappy and we can’t hear our radio broadcast outside of the 485 loop. How are we going to follow the team on the road??? Maybe we could find a place that actually picks up FNZ’s signal and we could all meet there for road game listening parties. This is depressing…[/QUOTE]

We don’t even get the box scores that update every 60 seconds and have stats, now we just get a score update every 20 min with the starting 5 and the top scorer at halftime.

Pathetic.

[QUOTE=metro;264093]the amount of TV games is not as important as if they are “away” games. I don’t care about home games so much.[/QUOTE]

Amen.

No FullCourt games either, aside from the CSTV games that might get picked up. No TV for Clemson, Hofstra, or Tulsa. I checked their sites.

I hope we get picked up on MASN as well, and I hope that TWC and MASN can work something out.

I know why they haven’t so far though, because other channels will try and strong arm the corporation into a money losing venture. I don’t understand why MASN wont just accept being on digital cable. I think if they accepted digital cable, I think they might even be able to get on digital variety.

The NFL Network is brewing a similar campaign, but they also want to be on standard cable.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;264125]

PS - I was throwing some love earlier re: your avatar Mr. B. Galen FTW![/QUOTE]

Thanks!! Galen was the man. Not to mention KP in the pic too!!!

This TV schedule blows.

god help A10 if Xavier underachieves this year. They are on so many times this season that if they have an off year, there may be no one of interest to the networks in the following year.

[QUOTE=metro;264117]When you see schools like Davidson and UNCW getting superior TV packages, it makes you wonder who has the rudder.[/QUOTE]
DOBA. This crap is getting old. We’re going downhill faster than an avalanche.

Why is Bruno still around? And what is our AD’s stance on this crap?

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;264209]Why is Bruno still around? And what is our AD’s stance on this crap?[/QUOTE]

Both are damn good questions.

Everyone should seriously [B][URL=http://www.basketballforum.com/atlantic-10-conference/357627-ads-unhappy-tv-deal.html]read this thread [/URL][/B](13 posts long) from a couple months ago. Way to fix things! Judy Rose was in charge of a league-wide standards thingee and I’d really like to find out what her conclusions were.

with the release of the A10 tv sched yesterday, we learned only one game on the road will be on TV (@Dayton). I completely understand why ESPN and CSTV don’t want our product this year, but I have been watching 49er basketball since about 1989, and there have always been a few road games each year on some combination of WAXN, WCCB, or WJZY televised locally.

Its my understanding it costs about $30,000 to produce one game on TV. We must step up and [B]“invest”[/B] in 3-4 A10 road games. How can you have a loyal fan base or even begin to [B]“build”[/B] a base when you can’t watch your team? This is an outrage. I think we even need to pressure Dubois to release some special funding for this if the Athletic Department is truly that short on cash.

I know in the past Sig Sports (company founded by alumni) have bought the rights to these games and aired them on their own dime in the past (as a service to fans). We can’t expect them alone to foot the bill year after year.

I’m with you metro. The same goes with having a decent radio signal, not to mention having a radio company that slams your product daily.

Most schools have a network of stations, we can’t get a decent station.

good news

the wheels are in motion to have a few “away” A10 games on local tv, where you can actually watch them (unlike defunct cset). No done deals yet but at least the efforts are being made. Stay tuned.

:49ers:

Good news.

I was about to say, look at X’s schedule (with TV):

Coppin State, FSNO
Kent State, FSNO
Indiana, Big Ten Network (if XU plays Indiana)
Oakland, FSNO
Belmont, FSNO
Cincinnat, ESPN2
at Ariz. State, FSN National
Tennessee, ESPN
Deleware State, FSNO
Kansas State, ESPNU
Virginia, CSTV
at Auburn, FSNO
Fordham, CSTV regional (FSNO)
at Temple, FSNO (subject to change)
at GW, FSNO
Dayton, CSTV
at UMass, CSTV regional (FSNO)
at SLU, ESPN
Saint Joseph’s, CSTV regional (FSNO)
at Rhody, CSTV regional (FSNO)
Duquesne, FSNO
at UD, CSTV
GW, CSTV regional (FSNO)
at Saint Joseph’s, ESPN
Richmond, FSNO

That’s how ours should look, bare minimum.

[QUOTE=HP49er;264262]I’m with you metro. The same goes with having a decent radio signal, not to mention having a radio company that slams your product daily.

Most schools have a network of stations, we can’t get a decent station.[/QUOTE]

Could anyone have imagined this position 3 years ago when we were 21-4 and ranked #18 in the Country with the CUSA Player of the Year on the roster?

The shape of the NC basketball landscape via radio…

East Carolina - 6 radio affiliates
Wake Forest - 11 radio affiliates
Appalachian State - 14 radio affiliates
NC State - 24 radio affiliates (5 for women’s basketball)
Duke - 27 radio affiliates
UNC-Chapel Hill - 42 radio affiliates (7 for women’s basketball)
Charlotte - one station who could care less

[QUOTE=HP49er;264277]The shape of the NC basketball landscape via radio…

East Carolina - 6 radio affiliates
Wake Forest - 11 radio affiliates
Appalachian State - 14 radio affiliates
NC State - 24 radio affiliates (5 for women’s basketball)
Duke - 27 radio affiliates
UNC-Chapel Hill - 42 radio affiliates (7 for women’s basketball)
Charlotte - one station who could care less[/QUOTE]

To quote Jags, “That’s pathetic, right there.”

Who would be the most appropriate person to email my concerns to? Judy?