A-10 mirror games

Now, why canā€™t the A-10 put out a notice like this?! It lists all Big East matchups, including their 3 mirror games, noting that dates, times, and TV will be announced in September. Hmmmā€¦

BigEast.org: EXPANDED 18-GAME CONFERENCE SLATE HEADLINES MENā€™S BASKETBALL OPPONENTS ANNOUNCEMENT

run, the A10 office has no graph paper to come up with such a chart. However, it sure would be nice to have something like this.

[QUOTE=run49er;248366]Now, why canā€™t the A-10 put out a notice like this?! [/QUOTE]

I think it has to do with the fact the A10 might be forced to utter a statement like this:

[QUOTE]The upcoming ā€¦menā€™s basketball season figures to be very fan friendly.[/QUOTE]

Dayton has announced their round-robin A-10 opponents, which are Rhode Island, Saint Louis, and Xavier. Still not sure why the league office just canā€™t put out a global announcement, but I guess theyā€™re still looking for that graph paper!

Anyway, the only one that is certain for Charlotte at this point (July 18th) is Richmond. That means our other two home-and-homes will be from this group: Fordham, GW, UMass, Rhode Island, Temple, or Xavier.

[URL=http://www.fordhamsports.com/asp_new/full_news.asp?TeamID=143&NewsID=1411]http://www.fordhamsports.com/asp_new/full_news.asp?TeamID=143&NewsID=1411[/URL]

Charlotte will have a home-and-home with Fordham this year.

[QUOTE]Head coach Dereck Whittenburg returns all five starters from last yearā€™s squad, led by forward Bryant Dunston, a Second Team All-Atlantic 10 pick in 2007, and guard Marcus Stout, an Honorable Mention All-Conference selection last winter.[/QUOTE]

They won 18 games last year and are expected to be 20+ game winners this season. Quite literally, theyā€™ve spent the last few seasons building toward this year - as 5 of their seniors were starters 3 years ago. Should be a postseason team.

[QUOTE=run49er;248852]I guess theyā€™re still looking for that graph paper!

Anyway, the only one that is certain for Charlotte at this point (July 18th) is Richmond. That means our other two home-and-homes will be from this group: Fordham, GW, UMass, Rhode Island, Temple, or Xavier.[/QUOTE]

To simplify the process, I sent them some graph paper.

But now that we know Fordham and Richmond, Iā€™m gonna go out on a limb and ā€œassumeā€ that URI is the other game.

Since info seems to trickling out from various schools, Iā€™m guessing that we wouldā€™ve made this info public already if the 3rd home/home was GW or Xavier.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and "assume" that URI is the other game.

Iā€™d say GW. A-10 leadership is probably smart enough to realize that they should try to turn Charlotte-GW into some kind of a rivalry.

Wait a minute - did I just say ā€œA-10 leadership is probably smart enoughā€?

Scratch that. Iā€™ll say Temple.

[QUOTE=survivor45;249390]Scratch that. Iā€™ll say Temple.[/QUOTE]
I agree. I donā€™t think theyā€™re going to give us two upper tier teams this season.

I sent the Atlantic 10 media director an email on Monday asking if there was such a piece of paper with the mirror teams.

Iā€™ve not received a reply.

I'd say GW. A-10 leadership is probably smart enough to realize that they should try to turn Charlotte-GW into some kind of a rivalry.

Wait a minute - did I just say ā€œA-10 leadership is probably smart enoughā€?

Scratch that. Iā€™ll say Temple.

weā€™ve lost 5 straight games against them in recent history, time to give up on the fact that we are a decent team and that it should be us or gw every year. Karl Hobbs is Bobby Lutz daddy, well him or sean miller one.

[QUOTE=ninerID;249396]weā€™ve lost 5 straight games against them in recent history, time to give up on the fact that we are a decent team and that it should be us or gw every year. Karl Hobbs is Bobby Lutz daddy, well him or sean miller one.[/QUOTE]

Sean Miller has gotta be at top of that list.

Lutz hasnā€™t been close (yet) in a game vs. XU. (edit: forgot we played them close in the tourney once. the 2 regular season games were so damn bad by us, I kinda overlooked it)

I like the idea of trying to make GW a rival ā€¦along the lines of St. Joes v. Temple, UMass v. URI or Dayton v. XU.

However, to make a rivalry work, both sides have to bring something to the table. Maybe this year we will make a statement in some A10 games.

Assessing Charlotte A10 results kinda reminds me of the ā€œsuccessā€ that John Cooper had the Michigan-Ohio State rivalry.

GW would be the closest team to us too in the A-10 right?

I think we already got something brewing with GW. Speaking as a fan, who has shed tears due to our close losesā€¦

GW would be the closest team to us too in the A-10 right?...

Geographically? That would be Richmond.

[QUOTE=SilvioDante;249387]But now that we know Fordham and Richmond, Iā€™m gonna go out on a limb and ā€œassumeā€ that URI is the other game.[/QUOTE]
Donā€™t crawl out too far.

[B]Fordham, Richmond, Temple.[/B]

Sounds like the A-10 is using the Big East template for scheduling league gamesā€¦

CSTV.com: The Gameā€™s Toughest Job?

One differenceā€¦ TV isnā€™t knocking down the A-10 office door trying to get in.

This is what I have been able to piece together from official releases and newspaper stories.

[NOTE: last edited on 7/24]

[COLOR=green]Charlotte[/COLOR] - Fordham, Richmond, Temple

Itā€™s official?

[QUOTE=HP49er;249956]One differenceā€¦ TV isnā€™t knocking down the A-10 office door trying to get in.[/QUOTE]
Heck, theyā€™re not even breathing on it!

HP, are Fordham, Richmond, and Temple official for our mirror games? You seemed pretty certain in that post.

OFFICIAL. Fordham, Richmond, and Temple are the 49ersā€™ three mirror games.

[QUOTE=HP49er;249981]OFFICIAL. Fordham, Richmond, and Temple are the 49ersā€™ three mirror games.[/QUOTE]
Thanks!