advice from nnn parents

Do you know if the parents were outside observing when the accident took place?

Either way I think it is the parents fault more than either kid. If they were outside watching then they shouldn’t have let a 3 year old run around where other kids were swinging. If they weren’t outside there is no way they could no who’s fault the accident was and they can’t come after you for it.

Whether you decide to pay them or not I think you or your wife should make it known to the other parents that they are to blame and not the kids since they were supposed to be supervising. It is completely irresponsible of your neighbor to tell your wife that your kid was entirely to blame for the accident.

Do you know if the parents were outside observing when the accident took place?

Either way I think it is the parents fault more than either kid. If they were outside watching then they shouldn’t have let a 3 year old run around where other kids were swinging. If they weren’t outside there is no way they could no who’s fault the accident was and they can’t come after you for it.

Whether you decide to pay them or not I think you or your wife should make it known to the other parents that they are to blame and not the kids since they were supposed to be supervising. It is completely irresponsible of your neighbor to tell your wife that your kid was entirely to blame for the accident.

Yes the father was outside. He even told my daughter to be careful with the bat. So he observed danger and let it continue. All he had to do was realize too many kids were around and put the bat away like 99% of adults would do.

I haven’t read all the posts, just the first few, but I think we’re becoming such a wussified society. What happened to letting your smart ass kid get his rear kicked by the school bully or agreeing to let your kid play football and take a star-seeing blow? It’s part of growing up.

I remember a time when I was around 12 and me/my buddy were hitting golf balls in my yard. I didn’t realize he was behind me and caught him across the bridge of the nose on a swing. Broke his nose and had to have a few stitches but not only did we not have to pay the bill, we never even heard anything from his parents about it. Why? Because they understood that it was two guys goofing around and something was bound to happen. It usually works both ways. Same guy pulled me off the top of some “monkey bars” one day and cracked a bone in my leg. The only outcome was that he gave me one of his Transformers as a nice gesture.

$hit happens. The parents need to grow up, not the kids. Metro, I wouldn’t pay a penny. Tell them you’ll probably be even one day when their kid doesn’t something to one of yours. Except you won’t whine about it and threaten legal action if they don’t pay for your daughter’s medical bills.

Pay them and then slash one of their tires or two… that way there is some balance, and it makes you feel pretty good.

Not a parent, and definately not an attorney, but at the most pay for half of the bill. And thats just if youre feeling some guilt. If not, dont pay, and send them a few bills from things such as the oppurtunity to play with your kid who obviously has a nice swing, the food that youve taken them, etc.

I think my neighbor is the most at fault. Why would you allow a 1st grader to hold/swing a bat (natural thing to do) that you are providing, while a 3 yr old is running around loose? That is a trip to the urgent care waiting to happen, and a risk you must eliminate.

the best part I haven’t metioned: my wife sees the wife at the grocery the next day, and the her biggest point to my wife was “I just want to make sure you know your daughter was at fault, not mine in any way.” Who the fock talks like that about 7 and 3 yr olds having a backyard boo boo?? To me that is code for: if my kid can’t see one day from this, we will take your ass for all your worth.

I would suggest you get an initial consultation with an atty. Typically you can get one for free. My guess is this would be a small claims matter.

Now as a person, you might want to see who the neighborhood sides with. If the neighborhood is on your side, then the atty’s may not feel welcome bringing such a case.

This is idiotic. Kids are kids.

You should give those parents some of your chill pills.

My best friend bit through his tongue playing on the swingset at my house. We never heard a word about it.

It’s a shame our society is to this point now.

[QUOTE=donkeyjaws;430988]Their own kid was hurt on their property. This would not be covered under liability or Med Pay of their own policy.[/QUOTE]

I hadn’t thought about that. One of the kids in our neghborhood broke her tooth playing at a friends house, and the homeowners insurance took care of that.
In this case, do the parents not have health care insurance on thier kid?

I hadn't thought about that. One of the kids in our neghborhood broke her tooth playing at a friends house, and the homeowners insurance took care of that. In this case, do the parents not have health care insurance on thier kid?
thats what I said to him....he's a public defender

I think a lot of people giving advice are not parents and don’t live in Neighborhoods.

I would pay the bill in full.
I would deliver the check one evening when they are both home and make my feelings known to them about how I disagree with paying for this accident, and clearly state that you would have never expected them to pay you over an incident like this.

You seem to have a decent relationship with these neighbors and that is tricky nowdays.

My hope would be that they would do an about face and refuse your payement after thinking about it.
If not, your wife’s realationship with the other mom is shot.

I would not make a bunch of noise about my kids never playing with their kids etc. It is not the kids issue.
I hate to state this, but the first thing that popped in my mind was that they are not from the South.

It is a minor incident - pay it and move on.

I think a lot of people giving advice are not parents and don't live in Neighborhoods.

I would deliver the check one evening when they are both home and make my feelings known to them about how I disagree with paying for this accident, and clearly state that you would have never expected them to pay you over an incident like this.

You seem to have a decent relationship with these neighbors and that is tricky nowdays.

My hope would be that they would do an about face and refuse your payement after thinking about it.

I would not make a bunch of noise about my kids never playing with their kids etc. It is not the kids issue.
I hate to state this, but the first thing that popped in my mind was that they are not from the South.

I would typically agree with this. But the line from the other mom sounds like legal posturing. In saying whose fault, sounds like she is setting up a claim.

If god forbid, there is lasting damage from the hit, delivering a check may be admitting fault (like saying you would take care of it could be thought of). Thus, you may be admitting to pay for future bills if so exist…or availing yourself to an insurance company bringing suit for any coverage.

That’s why I would suggest asking a qualified attorney before doing anything. Almost sounds weird, but I would avoid talking to the parents, too, until you can talk to the atty.

I think a lot of people giving advice are not parents and don't live in Neighborhoods.

I agree in theory but, they effectively ruined the relationship now and here is why: there is no freaking way I am letting their kids come over anymore. What if we mop our floors one day and its too slick and their child slips? Or maybe they yank on my dog’s tail and he snips at them, etc, etc.

And yes, they are major Yanks. :wink:

This reminds me of the time some idiots in our neighborhood let their kid run out into the road and grab my dog’s tail.

My mom was telling the kid to back off and yelling for his parents, but the idiot toddler wouldn’t stop. Somehow the kid ended up with a scratch on his cheek. The parents didn’t even realize the kid was down at the road until they heard his crying.

They called later and said the kid was “hemorraging” blood and had to go to the ER and the dog would need to be isolated to check for rabies. All because some idiot parents couldn’t keep an eye on their kid.

your homeowners insurance will pay the medical bill under medical payments to others coverage. typically the policy limit for this coverage is $1,000 or so and there is no deductible on your part.

I’d take cakewalk’s advice.

[URL]http://www.parents.uncc.edu/[/URL]

will we have a presence at this?

[URL]http://www.parents.uncc.edu/[/URL]

will we have a presence at this?

WTF is that ****?, what an awful website.

What school is this? VT? Tennessee? Texas?! WTF ORANGE?!?!!

:lmao:

:lmao:

U didn’t hear??? It’s this year’s Black…

[QUOTE=metro;431028]thats what I said to him…he’s a public defender[/QUOTE]

Wait wait wait, I thought you said he was a REAL attorney. Tell him to public defend a second job and pay for it himself!