App at Michigan

Great article by Sorenson:
[URL=http://www.charlotte.com/507/story/261668.html]http://www.charlotte.com/507/story/261668.html[/URL]

itā€™s obvious app state has the best football team in the state of nc. dook bolws. state lost to central florida. chapel hill is half freshmen and beat a d-1aa team. wake is overrated but may give app a battle.

this is why we need football. so much potential to be best in state.

[QUOTE=TheProvider;256384]Has anyone ever face to face asked Judy whether she wants football? Or is everyone content to take the feelings of anonymous posters that ā€œassureā€ you she is anti-football.[/QUOTE]

Does she want football ā€œnow?ā€ yes.

has she embraced it over the years? no

if not for the internet banding a large chunk of alumni together, and giving a large group a voice to hold the athletic dept and chancellor accountable, football would never be on the front burner, EVER.

Provider, you know that UNCC is possibly one of the more viscous places environments for admin and dept politics. There are all these little pockets of people who are afraid of the heavy hands they report to, and you dare not speak out (I dare you to deny this). Judy should of tactfully spoke in favor of football and what it could do for UNCC athletics. Instead sheā€™s been the good employee too long, and worried more about a career instead of what was right for UNCC. To be cliche, you could say she has always chosen the path of least resistance. A good AD would of banged the football drum their entire career, not just once it became in vogue. This directly resulted in the tough spot we are in today. And I know your reply, ā€œshe couldnā€™t go against Woodward.ā€ In a way, no she could not, but I think the truth is something more like she truly did not want to exert the energy football will require, nor risk her career for it. I am all ears if you can convince me I am wrong in any way.

Let me just sayā€¦ :clap: Way to go App! Had a few people ask me if I had seen it followed by ā€œThat could be Charlotte in a few years right?ā€ Man, I am loving this!

Id, I think you are over emphasizing Apps. championships. These are equivalent to NIT championships. The reason an NC is so spectacular is that it means you were the best that year. These arenā€™t that spectacular for that reason.

Would App. Trade their D-1AA Champ. for a BCS title game win?

This is a great game and Apps. football program is very admirable, but at the end of the day, they will dominate FCS and they are still small time in peopleā€™s minds (not reigning national champions).

Id, I think you are over emphasizing Apps. championships. These are equivalent to NIT championships. The reason an NC is so spectacular is that it means you were the best that year. These aren't that spectacular for that reason.

Would App. Trade their D-1AA Champ. for a BCS title game win?

This is a great game and Apps. football program is very admirable, but at the end of the day, they will dominate FCS and they are still small time in peopleā€™s minds (not reigning national champions).

First, when did we win an NIT championship? So still, they have more championships than us.

Second, for those who want to constantly downgrade appā€™s success as Division 1-AA, i think we need to note that any success we have had is Division 1-AAA, b/c thats what we are.

Finally, are some of you sitting down right now . . . . . . ā€¦ .okay good.

We are not ā€œbig timeā€ either.

First, when did we win an NIT championship? So still, they have more championships than us.

Second, for those who want to constantly downgrade appā€™s success as Division 1-AA, i think we need to note that any success we have had is Division 1-AAA, b/c thats what we are.

Finally, are some of you sitting down right now . . . . . . ā€¦ .okay good.

We are not ā€œbig timeā€ either.

They still at the end of the day have two second rate titles and no other sports doing anything else for them. We all admire what they did, but next week they will be all but forgotten and brought up only during the Michigan game, and then at the ESPYā€™s. It will give them a bunch of exposure but at the end of the day their stock will drop back in line with ours.

You seem to be disgusted with people on this board. We would all like a football team and a successful one at that, but have you aimed any of these points at the AD or Chancellor. You are on here arguing with a bunch of people who support the same cause, but are just not willing to give everything up for 2 second tier titles (and Iā€™m not downplaying their championships, thatā€™s what they are) whether we have any at any collegiate level, neitherā€™s going to budge.

They still at the end of the day have two second rate titles and no other sports doing anything else for them. We all admire what they did, but next week they will be all but forgotten and brought up only during the Michigan game, and then at the ESPY's. It will give them a bunch of exposure but at the end of the day their stock will drop back in line with ours.

You seem to be disgusted with people on this board. We would all like a football team and a successful one at that, but have you aimed any of these points at the AD or Chancellor. You are on here arguing with a bunch of people who support the same cause, but are just not willing to give everything up for 2 second tier titles (and Iā€™m not downplaying their championships, thatā€™s what they are) whether we have any at any collegiate level, neitherā€™s going to budge.

fair enough.

I am not disgusted by people on this board, i would just like to see some come down from the mountain. Sometimes I wonder if the CMackā€™s of the board would trade Floridaā€™s success for ours. Its just kind of disturbing to watch our board be all ā€œits just small time/its div 1AAā€ when donā€™t even put a team on the field.

Another thing that disturbs me about app is, not only do they have every sport we do for mens teams, with the addition of football and the womenā€™s equivalent sports. . . they also have wrestling. From everything I have heard, Appā€™s athletic foundation isnā€™t any bigger than ours, and we have a bigger group of students (whoā€™s student fees are less than ours I believe), in a more wealthy town. . . . .yet weā€™ve hit the snooze button on football for decades. It doesnt add up.

Direct it at the Chancellor . . . okayā€¦

Phil,

Not only has this school not had the vision to see 10 years ahead of itself for a very long time, we have been blind to the benefits of raising a successful athletics programs. In the next couple of weeks, thouands of students in North Carolina, and across the nation, will begin to fill out applications for where they would like to attend college next year. Two days ago, App put themselves on the national stage, we played soccer. We will wait until November to put up a sport that has any kind of national care, if we have that anymore, by then many students will have made up their minds, especially the proactive students who care about college and care about college athletics.

Wake up. Get your head out of the sand. Start football. Build this University.

Thank you.

You have valid points ID, but I wouldnā€™t say that a D-1AA championship trumps a final four appearance (It is more like an NIT win). What gained more attention and is considered a bigger achievement? Apps. National Championships or George Mason (or any other schools) recent final four appearances (which I admit we donā€™t have).

I also agree that Apps. football program is better than ours, but you make it out to be that App. has national championshsips and I know they do, but so does South Carolina basketball lately. Barton College is the defending Menā€™s basketball national champion. I just dont identify with your use of the term national championship. It is like our 2004 Conference USA basketball championship(bet you didnā€™t know that Charlotte was the 2004 CUSA champion)- in name and championship ring only.

It is like our 2004 Conference USA basketball championship(bet you didn't know that Charlotte was the 2004 CUSA champion)- in name and championship ring only.

I graduated in 2005, so i am well aware of that. 5 way tie with UAB, Memphis, Cincy, andā€¦Depaul?, someone check that.

I just think a championship is a championship, back to back even better.

Tell you what, Iā€™ll change my vote to a tossup. Iā€™ll say that back to back 1aa championships is a little more than a basketball final four, but the way our other sports have performed pulls us close.

I think my biggest reason for why I would trade is not based on history, but based on the future. We were once in what some would argue as the best conference outside of BCS leauges. We drop to the a10 (NOTHING happens), which is still much better than the socon, but all the other things outside of conference affliation, I think that appalachian has capitalized on and we have not made any ground in securing our place in this region. whether thats shirt sales, radio coverage, national recogonition, bumperstickers, flags, name recognition, etc. Some are expecting over 25K next week in boone for Lenoir-Rhyne Collegeā€¦we complain here that we canā€™t get 6K in halton b/c the team is just Umass/Lasalle/(insert a10 team name).

New York Times Article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/03/sports/ncaafootball/03appalachian.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

App in da houz!
Go Mountaineers!
I hope they run the table, except next week, although I doubt LR could beat them, but then again, who thought ASU would beat UM?
ASU in the BCS!
It would be funny if UM ran the table, went 12-1, was the BCS champ, & the hopefully 3-time 1-aa champ ASU had beaten them.
Itā€™d be cool if you lost to a lower-division team that you had to switch their schedules. Itā€™d be cool to see ASU play the rest of the Big 10 this year, while UM had to play the rest of the SoCon this year.

It seems to me there is a lot of comparing apples and oranges here: App State and Charlotte are two different schools. Itā€™s frustrating, yes, to drive to Boone and see stores and other places all decked out in ASU colors and pride, but being a much larger market, Charlotte will always have trouble compteing here for similar attention. Thatā€™s changing, but very slowly. I noticed more niner gear on campus that last two years than in all previous eight combined. Still, there is a lot of ā€œotherā€ gear worn on campus, but maybe that reflects family background and/or ignorance, but I would never begrudge someoneā€™s right to ā€œsupportā€ some other school even though they go to Charlotte or live in ā€œCharlotte.ā€

I donā€™t understand the belittling of 1-AA either, any more than criticizing D-II or D-III schoolsā€™ accomplishments in their respective divisions. I think itā€™s great what App State did to Michigan; itā€™s why they play the game. I want football here and I really donā€™t care if itā€™s 1-AA or FBS (stupid labels anyway), and if it starts 1-AA and moves up, that would be great, but itā€™s much more exciting to watch the game than lament the fact that it isnā€™t here now.

Finally, I think App state would be foolish, although I know now some think they should (not necessarily among this group) move to 1-A, but why abandon a long-time conference affiliation, rivalries (those App State-Furman games are great, or against Georgia Southern), and conference dominance (App State has won the conference cup for all mens and, often, womensā€™ sports more than any other school in the SoConā€“which is a very strong conference in soccer, baseball, wrestling) to follow Marshall into the unknown, less rewarding 1-A ā€œwho-gives-a-crapā€ bowl. App State might see some financial boost, but long term the school wouldnā€™t be competative at 1-A football and I think folks there know that.

The best thing for Charlotte would be to get football, find or help recreate something like CUSA, but a conference that provides long-term stability for the school in all sports that can compete against the greedy boys in the ACC, SEC, and others. Thatā€™s the shot that CUSA was making before the ACC got news that football makes money and screwed-up a terrific basketball conference.

[URL=http://gmine.blogspot.com/][COLOR=black]http://gmine.blogspot.com/[/COLOR][/URL]

:clap: :clap: :clap: Utter is da man! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Someone mentioned TX has 10 teams, & FL 7 in D1-A.
CA also has 7
UCLA
So Cal
Stanford
Cal
Fresno St.
SD St.
SJ St.

NC is currently at 5. We plan to eventually make it 6. I say the more the better w/ Wilmington, G-boro, Asheville, WCU, ASU, A&T, NCCU, WSSU, FSU, D-son, & ECSU. 17 would rule!

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;256469]Someone mentioned TX has 10 teams, & FL 7 in D1-A.
CA also has 7
UCLA
So Cal
Stanford
Cal
Fresno St.
SD St.
SJ St.

NC is currently at 5. We plan to eventually make it 6. I say the more the better w/ Wilmington, G-boro, Asheville, WCU, ASU, A&T, NCCU, WSSU, FSU, D-son, & ECSU. 17 would rule![/QUOTE]

You left out UNC-P, Garnder-Webb, and Elon (iā€™m sure you left out a few more as well). Thing is UNC-P, GWU, and Elon all have football teams and Charlotte doesnā€™t.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;256420]They still at the end of the day have two second rate titles and no other sports doing anything else for them[/QUOTE]

I beg to differ. Letā€™s have a look at their basketball season. Was a lot better than our Notable wins (Hofstra, Dayton (Both @ home), and our RPI of 146.

App St.

Record - (22-7)
RPI - 62
Noncon RPI - 7 NonCon SOS - 4
Notable Wins

Virginia (80-69, Neutral)
Vanderbilt (87-79 OT, Neutral) (Won San Juan Shootout)
VCU (73-70, Away)
Davidson (81-74, Away)
Witchita St. (60-58, Away)

They also beat the College of Charleston twice.

[QUOTE=Ninerballin;256527]You left out UNC-P, Garnder-Webb, and Elon (iā€™m sure you left out a few more as well). Thing is UNC-P, GWU, and Elon all have football teams and Charlotte doesnā€™t.[/QUOTE]

doesnā€™t campbell/johnson c smith/nc a&t/nccu all have teams too?

[QUOTE=Ninerballin;256527]You left out UNC-P, Garnder-Webb, and Elon (iā€™m sure you left out a few more as well). Thing is UNC-P, GWU, and Elon all have football teams and Charlotte doesnā€™t.[/QUOTE]
NC Central in Durham is in the process of moving to D-I as well.

I beg to differ. Let's have a look at their basketball season. Was a lot better than our Notable wins (Hofstra, Dayton (Both @ home), and our RPI of 146.

App St.

Record - (22-7)
RPI - 62
Noncon RPI - 7 NonCon SOS - 4
Notable Wins

Virginia (80-69, Neutral)
Vanderbilt (87-79 OT, Neutral) (Won San Juan Shootout)
VCU (73-70, Away)
Davidson (81-74, Away)
Witchita St. (60-58, Away)

They also beat the College of Charleston twice.

1 seasonā€¦ need more than that.

We were talking about consistency.