App postgame

Is it just a Lambert thing to have your team drive down the field and then pulll the QB and put in the backup? Used to do that with Matt Johnson and Lee McNeil as well. Makes no sense and kills the drive.

1 Like

Your QB1 was on the field my friend. Running for his life. While receivers couldnt leave their DBs hips. Youā€™ll be loving him for years.

Klugh was used like Johnson was used when he lost the starting job. If heā€™s in thereā€™s a 99% chance heā€™s running. Easy pickins for any defense worth anything.

Most likely, you were talking about me and my extended family. I didnā€™t know cheering my team on from start to finish was a reflection of my academics. I did not taunt anyone or use foul language. I had a good time talking to the fans about your improved kicking game and some of the nice passes your QB threw. Cheers to themā€¦ Maybe you were the ones who left at halftime?

The irony of it all- my ā€œacademicsā€ earned me two business degrees from App State and in turn led to me managing some ā€œheavyā€ funds that your institution receives annually. I hate that I came off any other way than a die hard Black and Gold fan. Iā€™ll continue to enjoy my relationship with your institution and look forward to future games, but Iā€™ve never been known to sit on my hands at an App gameā€¦ever.

1 Like

What game were you guys watching that gives you hope? We have a kicker and thatā€™s it.

We remain allergic to the red zone. We canā€™t stop a passing game. Special teams (minus Cruz) continue to be abysmal. We have brads boneheaded decision making. SSDD stuff in year 6. Results will be no different.

Here is my take as a football coach. Why on earth are we still switching QBs in the middle of a successful drive? Lambert did it with Johnson, McNeil and Barden one year and it never worked, so why do it now with Reynolds and Klugh. I coach offense and we never even think about switching QBs unless there is an injury or weā€™re running away with the game. You have to stick with your guy, only situation I could justify using Klugh at QB is short yardage near goal line with his legs, but Reynolds can run too.
Reynolds actually made some really solid decisions overall, obviously wheels came off in late 3rd, but I thought he played as well as he couldā€™ve.
Penalties killed us, cannot have them against a well coached team like App State. Our kicking is finally legit, Cruz is the real deal and will onyl get better too. Nice to finally have a solid, reliable kicker for the first time in program history.
All in all, it was an exciting game, hung with them for 1 1/2 quarters, but anyone who expected it to be close is living in another world.
Also someone said sad to see students bail in the third. Uhhh dude it was 24-9, then 31-9, then 38-9, does anyone expect them to stay when it was 90 degrees with 80% humidity all day? I left with 7 minutes to go in the fourth, it was over, Iā€™d seen enough. Just cause you stay until the last whistle doesnā€™t mean youā€™re a true fan.
Student turnout overall was great and enthusiasm was great among them as well. Winning will keep students coming to the game.
Also about App fans, I had no issues with them. Every one I talked to was nice and had nothing but nice things to say about campus and our stadium, just wish we couldā€™ve been a bit more competitive, but when Brad Lambert is your head coach it only goes so far.

4 Likes

Come on IDā€¦all we needed to do was triple our score in the third and we would have been in the lead!

That fighter jet fly over was cool. Nice job athletic department.

3 Likes

Non football observation. Passed the JW Clay light rail station when leaving. The station was packed. I mean like fill the train packed. Not sure if it was the same at campus station but Wow. An incredible asset.

As I walked to student tailgate tons and tons of people were getting off the lightrail and going to either tailgate lots or towards the stadium, HUGE asset.

The light rail is a huge asset. Fans can park in the lots along South Blvd. and avoid the hassle of parking on campus.

It will be utilized during basketball season, too.

Havenā€™t posted in forever, cause Judy sucked the caring out of me. But Iā€™m not giving up on the season with 9 winnable games left. Our conference is awful and so is UMASS. Lambert deserves to be let go but Iā€™m still going to cheer and hope for 7 wins and a bowl game regardless because itā€™s very doable. How played the second half against Fordham and first half against App is all itā€™ll take to win in our conference. At any rate, I plan to be there next weekend, because for once, I actually feel like we can win. Plus Hill has me caring again lol

3 Likes

I agree 88.

Speaking on App fans, the vast majority were great. Heard a lot of compliments about the campus. Had good conversations with several, including a former player who knows Reynoldsā€™ father well, and had great things to say about Chris. Of course there was still some of the jackassery found in the worst parts of most fanbases, but I saw us giving it too. Saw a lot of friends and family members sitting or walking together in opposite colors. This will be a great rivalry for both teams if we can eventually put up a fight.

3 Likes

Very true. I brought my brother in law who graduated from Charlotte earlier this year. We tailgated together and had a good time. My kids even played football with the new Bball coachā€™s kid

A couple of random thoughts as I part the board for the immediate future.

1. Band was bigger than I thought it would be given UNCC does not have a music school or college so I imagine that is a smaller program on campus. And they sounded good. Nice entrance on to the field. They were walking right in front of me as I was entering the stadium so I wished them to have a good show. They did.

2. I am far from a flag-waver and donā€™t have much use for things like that but the flyover was nice. Always neat how that can be calculated. Some simple physics of time and speed, but still takes some coordination and I appreciate that aspect of it.

3. I was in the endzone and mostly surrounded by App fans but the few 49ers near me were very gracious and we had a good conversation. They left at the start of the 4th quarter but we shook hands and one was a HS coach so we talked a minute or two about that.

4. Campus is much greener than I remembered from 25 years ago during a summer workshop with the College of Engineering. My drive around the stadium over the summer was short and only hit one corner. I walked over a large part of the campus yesterday.

5. I had the 10 ticket birthday package and the ticket office called me around 5:00 and checked in on my and told me about a gift bag they had waiting for me. Classy. They told me the wrong location but I figured it out and it gave me a chance to walk the entire stadium which I wanted to do anyway. I most likley will give away the lunch box to a student that has a connection to UNCC or maybe a senior that might be heading to your campus next fall. I may end up hanging the 49er flag in my classroom. I start at a new school tomorrow and have to have a college corner so this can start that in a nicer looking way than what is currently in place.

6. Plenty of concessions and the bathrooms were also adequate. My daughter mentioned that there was a line for the menā€™s facilities but not the womenā€™s . I am guessing the number of stalls is skewed to the female gender to help with this.

7. I had a great time. Of course it helps that App won, but for a non-conference game the atmosphere was really good on campus before the game. I hope I get to come back in a couple of years.

Good job hosting your largest crowd ever. Logistics worked out very well from my end.

I took pics of the stadium early in the game. I also took some pics during the 4th quarter when the fan base composition changed. What I donā€™t have is a pic of the end zone as I was part of that crowd. I can post a link if any is interested and it will be possible to get a better feel for numbers of fans with based on color of shirts.

I doubt App black and gold was 50% as some have said but it was a bit higher than some on here have stated I am sure. We each have pride getting in the way of a rational view of the counts. Being a good science-y type I took some visual evidence that can be almost counted person by person if someone really wanted to waste hours of their life.

6 Likes

Identifiable App fans made up about 35% to 40% of the attendance from what I could see.

My cousinā€¦an App gradā€¦swears it was 60+% and at least 12K.

App fans see what they want to seeā€¦but I know there was black and gold throughout the entire stadium in the pics I saw but my guess would have been 40%.

If you counted the sections and assigned them Based on appearances, App had 25-30%, tops. If you give App full credit for all of their sections and add several hundred more it equals 4000, tops.

I would agree around 40% on high end and 33% on low end. 80-85 upper deck was App but lower area was a lot of green except App section and end zone. Still a lot for a visiting team and at end of game close to even numbers and maybe a bit more for App.

Good luck next week.