App State obsession thread

App has been in top 25. We kinda proud of ourselves if we think we can dictate to top 25 programs.

Then again that is our MO……

2 Likes

Hootie, they aren’t Alabama. They’re a damn Sunbelt team.

I think you show too much deference.

If they had 100k fans in seats every week and traveled well, I’d say, “we are just happy you’re thinking about coming here”. But App? Hahaha :rofl:

1 Like

yes, I corrected my previous post------I mis-counted the total games as 9, instead of 8…BTW, I didn’t say MIke got strong-armed…I simply said I didn’t like putting ourselves at such a series disadvantage in the early years…Sorry, I think I still get to have an opinion…and for what its worth, the 2 games in Boone were both very competitive. I would not agree that we were definitely going to lose all games against them in our '“formative” years regardless of site.

Exactly NA

1 Like

I get not liking playing 3 outta the first 4 in Boone. From a strategic point of view it was brilliant to leverage their need of a home opener in 20 and returning the game to our full stadium. All about $ and this makes us more.

If our football program had done what Apps has done the last 20 years we’d all be strutting around with hardons constantly.

I know it for a fact, we used to do it over our hoops years ago.

Don’t fool yourselves. NA you old enough to remember it too

2 Likes

Uhh, making an occasional Top 25 Weekly poll, while nice, does NOT come close to equating a Top 25 “program”.

Uhh, since 2015:
11-2
10-3
9-4
11-2
13-1
9-3
10-4

If we were doing that and winning small time bowl games we’d freaking expect parades. Trust me, I was around for the good times in hoops and we thought we were on par with the big boys. We walked around with swagger and people hated us

Somebody back me up on this

9 Likes

I’m not going to get caught up in arguing over App’s athletic achievements when they are still in the glorified Southern Conference, the same FCS league they came from.

My point was that I wouldn’t afford that level of deference to any program that wasn’t a currently elite program like an SEC or B1G program… And certainly not ANY G5 program. These are our peers.

FWIW, about our hoops program - we had swagger when we were routinely beating top 10 teams (not just a single one off fluke, we did it repeatedly). If that doesn’t warrant swagger, I’m not sure what does.

I’m with Hootie on us winning. Consistent winning seasons like that would be very welcome. I don’t need an elite conference, I just need one that is competitive and we are near the top. I grew up watching Elon in NAIA. Watching us in the AAC with 30,000 seat stadium is going to be special for me. When we beat App in that stadium next time they are here I will be the happiest football fan in the country for at least a week. Getting to NA’s point, I also agree that an App level team should not be dictating our schedule. Both of you are correct in some way

1 Like

WTH does that have to do with your claim that App is a “Top 25 program”?

No one is disagreeing that winning seasons “like that” would be welcome. duh…what he claimed was that App is a “top 25 program” and inferred that we should basically just accept whatever series terms they wanted…I call 110% BS on that.

They aren’t always top 25 but they have been and pretty recently

2 Likes

clt says appy is on the decline. being ranked in 2020 is mickey mouse

Pretty sure it was 2019 but I don’t really follow App. Just find it silly some think we are near their level at this point. Hell I hope we fly by them in a couple of years but right now and in the few years past they are to us as we are to Gardner Webb.

Go ahead, rip away….

3 Likes

I hate App. I feel like their best days are behind them. Their league has gotten way more difficult and financially they are tapped out.

With that said their program has been way ahead of ours, which makes sense. They throttled us in our first match up and we surprisingly hung in there in the second. Starting 0-2 vs them though was no shock given their head start of like 90 years on us. I said it before, if having an edge on them in the series is something we really wanted from the start we needed to wait a decade to play them.

The covid game, along with the rest of 2020 was just a total shit show. Yeah we lost that game but whatever, that season means absolutely nothing to me. I also had a view of waiting about a decade before I really expected to win games on a regular basis. Building a program isn’t something you just snap your fingers and it is done.

So yeah being down to them 0-3 sucks, but it was pretty mush expected to be 0-2 and who cares about the third. Let’s see where the programs are when the 5 games start. Those games we should be winning, bigger budget, more tv coverage, more money, etc.

1 Like

Very well said. I concur with everything you said.

HAHA nice title. Also F them.

Lol good title. Coulda just as easy renamed it delusional Niner thread

I was just trying to break off the stuff that wasn’t about scheduling anymore.

1 Like