Barack Obama on campus

[QUOTE=49or bust;356449]I agree. I don’t think it is overly sentimental. What is going on right now is still bigger than any class you will take.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps. And the trade offs and consequences must be evaluated.

Test >> rally > regular class.

There is no way in my teaching at the undergraduate level that I would have let them off without some sort of pretty major ding. Especially now with so many ways to communicate with the lecturer.

The way I see it, they now have more time to prepare, why should they have that advantage over the people who took the test at the scheduled time?

[QUOTE=Sideshow;356452]are you drunk? BS is an adjective, not a noun.

I appreciate your input, but please don’t spew supposed facts when they’re only opinions. My class may or may not be “that important” in the grand scheme of things, however rules are rules, tests are tests, and due dates are due dates.[/QUOTE]

Obviously some people shouldn’t be put in power positions, they lose all objectivity… You have become everything that you once despised…

[QUOTE=NLP;356455]Test >> rally > regular class.

There is no way in my teaching at the undergraduate level that I would have let them off without some sort of pretty major ding. Especially now with so many ways to communicate with the lecturer.

The way I see it, they now have more time to prepare, why should they have that advantage over the people who took the test at the scheduled time?[/QUOTE]

That’s what I’m thinking. Look, if you want to blow off class, fine. I blew off more than one class when I was a student, for every reason under the sun. You weigh the pros and cons, and if you feel it’s worth the risk, you take the leap. But there’s always consequences.

It would be unethical if I made exceptions for something as arbitrary as to attend a speech. Nevermind the heightened emotional aspect of it, the “once in a lifetime” history making stuff. 49rfootball is right. If it were for a concert, or a date, or even something as noble as to volunteer to build a habitat house-- they’re still decisions you have to make that conflict with a prior commitment. And there should be consequences for making that tradeoff. I’m sure the students thought of that before they made the decision, and I’m sure they will accept them.

[QUOTE=Jimmyhat49er;356456]Obviously some people shouldn’t be put in power positions, they lose all objectivity… You have become everything that you once despised…[/QUOTE]

you’re cute

Tell them that you understand why they feel like they needed to be at the rally, and penalize them. If they were really in a moral tear between higher learning and politics-as-personal-experience, they would’ve talked to you beforehand. As it stands, it’s far more likely they were just looking for an excuse to not have to study.

Obviously some people shouldn't be put in power positions, they lose all objectivity.... You have become everything that you once despised....
I think you are outrageous trying to condemn people like this. Look, rules are rules and you can't hate on people for wanting to follow them. If these kids were punished a teacher would be well within their rights and the students should know that and accept that.

However, if the teacher were to grant the kids a reprieve and let them take the test with no penalty, I would not see that as bad in any way considering the circumstances. If you want to go this route and feel that the kids who took the test on it’s original date are being shafted, allow the kids who took the test the first time to take the make-up taste (a completely different test mind you) and let those students take the higher of the two.

It’s just the teacher’s call. Sometimes the teacher just goes by the rules or sometimes the teacher goes above the call of duty and makes a second test so that all things are fair and the students at the rally aren’t penalized for taking part in American history.

I see both sides of the issue, especially if the class time was for testing. Regardless of one’s political views, it is RARE that anyone would have the opportunity to see the possible next POTUS on the night before his election. This should have been one of those “where were you when…” moments in a UNC Charlotte student’s life. My 15-yr old had the chance to meet Hillary in the spring during a High Point visit and was thrilled to see a major political figure.

College [U]is[/U] for learning. One must not forget that some of the best lessons during the higher education time frame are not necessarily taught nor learned in the confines of a classroom.

[QUOTE=Sideshow;356420]i had 2 students who rolled into class 2 hours late to class today, on a day when we had a test. they were at the obama rally. how should i deal with these students[/QUOTE]

Did they hold up the class or cause the class to stay later than usual? If not I see no reason to penalize, it is their responsibility, if they came in and managed to do the same work in less time than other students, then good job to them.

[QUOTE=GtfoMyPorch;356469]Did they hold up the class or cause the class to stay later than usual? If not I see no reason to penalize, it is their responsibility, if they came in and managed to do the same work in less time than other students, then good job to them.[/QUOTE]
the thing is, if other students had already finished and left class, there is the possibility those students talked with the students that had already finished. They also had more study time than the students that came to class on time. Classes were not canceled so the school did not view this event as more important than classes, therefore, the students should not go without punishment. I say dock them 20 points automatically, but not fail them.

College [U]is[/U] for learning. One must not forget that some of the best lessons during the higher education time frame are not necessarily taught nor learned in the confines of a classroom.
True dat!!!

Sideshow, maybe you should have moved the test date back until the next day of class. Maybe you should only be angry at yourself. Give a little. It’s not that they blew off your test for a game or music concert. AND YES, your class is LESS important. You should have been more flexible. Give the students a different test.

When Charlotte had basketball games in the tournament during the class time, I had teachers CANCEL class. They were flexible and understood.

Perhaps. And the trade offs and consequences must be evaluated.
Perhaps???? hahahaha...

Just say… “YES it is more important than my class.”

I remember jack about 75% of my college classes. People who attend a rally like that, should NEVER forget.

oh spare me the drama. that settles it. a makeup essay test at half credit.
Would you fail a student if it came down to this test being the reason? Thats the question I want to know.

I’ve had classes where you only have 4 tests. A 40% would def hurt.

Look, the kids had their choice. They knew in advance there was a test. They did not come to the test session. Simple as that. I don’t care what party you’re affiliated with, the kids knew exactly what they were doing.

What does the syllabus say? If they have an excused absence due to illness they can make it up? Is going to see Obama an illness?

Obama came to Charlotte already during this campaign, so those who said it is a once in a lifetime opportunity seem to have forgotten about this being the second time…

Look, the kids had their choice. They knew in advance there was a test. They did not come to the test session. Simple as that. I don't care what party you're affiliated with, the kids knew exactly what they were doing.

What does the syllabus say? If they have an excused absence due to illness they can make it up? Is going to see Obama an illness?

Obama came to Charlotte already during this campaign, so those who said it is a once in a lifetime opportunity seem to have forgotten about this being the second time…

Unless our football stadium holds over 12K, I doubt there will ever be that many people on campus.

Biggest event, numbers wise, ever held on campus? Don’t downplay this event.

[QUOTE=J Felt;356497]Unless our football stadium holds over 12K, I doubt there will ever be that many people on campus.

Biggest event, numbers wise, ever held on campus? Don’t downplay this event.[/QUOTE]

Who cares how big the event is?

Kids skipped a test.

If they were really that concerned about it, they should have raised the point before the class with the test. Or they could have just lied and said they were sick.

I’m sure a lot more people would have gone to the rally from class if they had known they would be able to make up the test. I think they should be punished for their actions.

You know what… When you get a job you have rules and deadlines that if not met cost $$.

Say for instance one of your employees went to the Obama rally, came in 2 hours late and made him/her miss a deliverable what would you do? Same concept. You don’t get do overs in real life.

College is about learning and about making good decisions- Life lessons are painful sometimes.

2 points for staying on topic.

Who cares how big the event is?

I think they should be punished for their actions.

It’s a presidential event. It’s not an everyday thing.

They should be punished, but not as severe as Sideshow mentioned.

How about this… Make the students that missed write a 2 page paper on what they learned and the significance of this presidential election and make them turn it in before they take the re-test. Knocking their grade 50% is kinda harsh. Maybe a 10 point letter grade deduction. AND give those that took the test a 10 point bump. AND PROBLEM SOLVED.

[QUOTE=cibik02;356510]It’s a presidential event. It’s not an everyday thing.

They should be punished, but not as severe as Sideshow mentioned.

How about this… Make the students that missed write a 2 page paper on what they learned and the significance of this presidential election and make them turn it in before they take the re-test. Knocking their grade 50% is kinda harsh. Maybe a 10 point letter grade deduction. AND give those that took the test a 10 point bump. AND PROBLEM SOLVED.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t even give them that much if I were the prof. The consequences are outlined in most syllabi: miss a test for any reason other than illness, receive a zero.

They missed the test, they get a zero.