Baseball Week 13- at Rice (CUSA TV)

Yes, its on CUSA TV.

Link on Rice website.

All gathering limits and social distancing requirements are lifting, too, Cooper said.

Read more here: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article251412068.html#storylink=cpy

Hope this means full capacity for UNCW.

Another step forward today.

2 Likes

Clinched at least a 2 seed!! Let’s get the 1!!!

3 Likes

I still would like to know specifically what we are lacking and assuming its lights, did we look into temporary lights? Seating could certainly be added if more capacity was needed…not trying to be a buzzkill,but I think people are underestimating the importance of what we would be giving up by not playing in our ballpark.

So we are assured of a 2 seed because we are division winners?

I think because of record, but not positive.

La Tech and USM both lost today, so Charlotte can possibly wrap up the 1 seed on Saturday.

3 Likes

We actually asked Loren Hibbs back in 2011, after getting shipped off to Arizona State for a regional, what it would take for us to host at the Hayes. Lighting was not up to standard and there are not enough seats. Video board was another upgrade that was needed back then.

More seats = more revenue. Adding temp lights, seating, netting was probably not cost efficient compared to renting a bigger facility.

1 Like

We would all love it to be at The Hayes but if we host we deprive an opponent from getting all those inherent home field advantages. Also we have the first chance to buy tickets to stack the crowd. It would be better obviously if it was on campus but Ill be ecstatic if in a few week I’m drinking beer in Gastonia.

4 Likes

Giving your team the best chance of winning and keeping your athletic department from looking small time in the national media is also cost effective…think for a few minutes what average Joe will think about our program every time they mention on the TV broadcast how we aren’t playing at our on campus stadium…because…

I don’t think Mike Hill wants to see this happen twice.

Upgrades to the Hayes were already on the agenda. This season has helped push up the timeline.

2 Likes

I get that,but the “next time” is never guaranteed. You have to be ready the first time.

You know why we’re not there already. As far as this year goes, nobody saw this happening so soon. I’m glad it did. This is how you get stuff done. :call_me_hand:

4 Likes

Something to keep an eye on in Houston: tomorrow’s forecast does not look good at the moment. I say we lock up the 1 seed with at least one W today and then let it rain.

You know exactly why we are in this situation. Baseball was ignored for years here. Look how long it took to get the indoor facility. Our scoreboard is probably on its 3rd or 4th decade now.

When Mike Hill got here, one of the first things he did for baseball was approve our Baseball Ops position. He definitely understands the investment needed and it is in the works. It can’t happen overnight.

We need to quickly announce our plans. This will build on our momentum. It should also help with recruiting. I would like to see some expansion to our stadium. I follow baseball but never attend. I plan to next year.

Maybe the best thing about Baseball right now is the ROI. I am sure that Woodard said something like “if you give me funding for X, we will compete for conference titles”, and damn if they aren’t. Way to walk the walk Diamond Niners!

Same thing with the football stadium.