Battery powered trimmers and blowers

I bought my electric not out of desire to be clean or anything. It was just I was tired of keeping a mix of fuels around, then I got one that was just straight gas and it was crazy heavy. They were a pain to get started and I hated turning them off to restring and then having a hard time getting it started again. For me it was just ease of use. I walk out and hit a button and it comes on, it isn’t as a heavy, I don’t have to keep different fuel for it and it just flat gets the job done.

My biggest concern was if I could do my entire yard on a charge. The answer is no. However, it charges fast enough that I can do the front yard, mow and then do the back yard.

You make me blush. Be assured that my “big words” comment was less a compliment and more a poke at their need to use them to validate the reason they payed $60k a year for a psychology degree. Verbal masturbation.

I have a daughter that goes to Davidson. Rest assured she is not paying that much a year. I think she is out about 5500 a year.

Has clt seen any leaves fall yet?

The part about one button and it starts is spot on. That is a big thing for me. NO frustrating starting.

What amp-hour batery do you have? Either you have a crazy big yard or a smaller than average battery I would think.

We try not to mention that, because WFA is sensitive about his smaller than average battery.

1 Like

Well my yard is a bit over an acre with lots of edging and a large bank and some woods. The battery life was really good. I borrowed a friends elec weed eater first to see how long it will last. If I’m just edging woods and driveway I can do it all, but I’m doing bank and into woods as is sometimes required then it takes two full charges.

That is a bit larger than average for yards and if you have a bank it could take a recharge. I think I have a 9 A-hr battery with the DeWalt trimmer. I actually enjoy the work now because the stress is lower with starting.

1 Like

Gonna be a long, hot summer.

I did put off mowing today.

No rain = no grass @ my house

No shortage of grass in Boone, per a source.

As per every college. If you want it you can find it and if you don’t want it it is easy to stay away from.

clt saw a leaf fall at clt’s club today. Didn’t interfere with the shot.

Will report back tomorrow.

I too have made the jump to battery operated tools. First chain saw, then pressure washer and lastly weed eater. I don’t see me making the jump for my lawnmower or leaf blower any time soon though. I feel I still need the extra power they provide.

I was reluctant to get the chain saw. Didn’t think it would have enough power and would die quickly. While that has been partly true. It still out weighs the seemingly finicky nature of chain saws in general. For me, only using it roughly once a year, it was always a fingers crossed situation, hoping that my gas powered saw would even start.

The biggest downside to battery operated tools is the none compatibility of the batteries. Similar to cell phone accessories, can’t use an Apple charger to charge an Android phone. Where gas is gas. I could have a Huskvarna chain saw, Honda mower and a Troy Bilt weed eater.

Now, with batteries, a lot of my hand tools were already Ryobi, so I felt like I had to go all in with their lawn tools too.

So I tested out my Ryobi 40 volt trimmer and blower today, I’m please with both. More than enough juice in the batter to handle my needs. While the trimmer isn’t as powerful as my old gas one, it was fine for my needs. The ease of connecting the batter and getting right to work was :raised_hands:t3:

I’ll update once I have to add more string to the trimmer. Not sure how that’ll work just yet.

clt once used an electric chainsaw in an attempt to fell a tree. What. A mistake.

Leatherface would have been just a nuisance if he had a battery powered chainsaw.

McAppFan says McAppFan only uses an axe to fell a tree like a real man. The chainsaw is only usef for quick cleanup for pickup by the city.

McAppFan figures clt does not have the upper body strength to wield an axe.

A real man burns his trees in his wood burning stove or in his bonfire. He does not do city pickup.