Bernard Sullivan - transfer

Who knows what he can bring to the table he only took 1 shot attempt in his last 8 games or so. May be a change of scenery with an additional year to work on his game.

If the coaches see something in him I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. So far talent evaluation wise they’ve done a pretty good job. I’d hate for us to pass him over only to end up at Davidson and give us fits later.

Cam was a very good player his freshmen year at purdue, before goin jc.

I believe he went to the NCAA tourney and may have hit a buzzer beater in the tourney while at Purdue, can someone confirm this??

[quote=“amnesiac, post:42, topic:27702”]Cam was a very good player his freshmen year at purdue, before goin jc.

I believe he went to the NCAA tourney and may have hit a buzzer beater in the tourney while at Purdue, can someone confirm this??[/quote]

Not sure on mind played but he averaged 3 or 4 points.

I am yet to understand this thinking. This past year we played 3 bigs. Thorne played in about half the games. I think it is a little more maybe 17-20 but only avg 6-7 minutes a game. So we plug him into the rotation full time and it is still the three man rotation we ran this year with Clayton, Bras, and Clark. I just don’t see the HUGE need. I would love to have another big. But I don’t see a lot of minutes with three sophs in that position.

Side question because I have no idea. Is CUSA more of an athletic conference? I guess I am asking are we going to have to switch up recruiting a little bit because these school will have more of the smaller athletes? I look at a Wichita State and their two leading scorers are forwards that are listed 6-8. Does that make sense?[/quote]
Well, frankly, I don’t see Thorne being able to replace Bras with minutes played next year. He looks like a 15-20 min per game guy tops. Also, we are one injury to a big away from having our season decimated. Even when Clark missed a game last year, or Clayton was hurting, we had plenty of others to step in if need be. Next year the cupboard is pretty bare if we run into any kind of injury or, even more likely, foul trouble.

I am yet to understand this thinking. This past year we played 3 bigs. Thorne played in about half the games. I think it is a little more maybe 17-20 but only avg 6-7 minutes a game. So we plug him into the rotation full time and it is still the three man rotation we ran this year with Clayton, Bras, and Clark. I just don’t see the HUGE need. I would love to have another big. But I don’t see a lot of minutes with three sophs in that position.

Side question because I have no idea. Is CUSA more of an athletic conference? I guess I am asking are we going to have to switch up recruiting a little bit because these school will have more of the smaller athletes? I look at a Wichita State and their two leading scorers are forwards that are listed 6-8. Does that make sense?[/quote]
Well, frankly, I don’t see Thorne being able to replace Bras with minutes played next year. He looks like a 15-20 min per game guy tops. Also, we are one injury to a big away from having our season decimated. Even when Clark missed a game last year, or Clayton was hurting, we had plenty of others to step in if need be. Next year the cupboard is pretty bare if we run into any kind of injury or, even more likely, foul trouble.[/quote]

2 bigs play 80 minutes total. Clayton/Clark 30, and Thorne 20. Again, I agree we need more but I don’t think it is a we are screwed if we don’t need. That also led to my next question. Could we slide Vic down to the 4 if CUSA teams are more athletic than sheer size.

If EVN can add some lbs/muscle in the off season he can definitely play the 4. At his current size I think he’d struggle.

I guess DA, Marcus Bennett, Shamari Spears and Plavich were exceptions too? If more have succeeded than failed, wouldn’t that make them more the rule than the exception?

In fact, Gerrity is the only one I can think of off the top of my head who perhaps went backwards while at Charlotte.

Gerrity wasn’t a BCS transfer, he transferred to a BCS school.

And, the dude was awesome here. We just didn’t have an offense that was suited to his talents at all. He would be amazing on a team like this with his penetration and passing. We’d have lobcity with Clark too.

I guess DA, Marcus Bennett, Shamari Spears and Plavich were exceptions too? If more have succeeded than failed, wouldn’t that make them more the rule than the exception?

In fact, Gerrity is the only one I can think of off the top of my head who perhaps went backwards while at Charlotte.[/quote]

marcus bennett never suited up for michigan but was tommy amakers top recruit, spears was a starter for bc who put up good numbers and plavich never suited up for ga. tech. so none of those examples make sense. im all for transfers but not ones that have proven to be flops.

Plavich did play two years at Vanderbilt though.

Well, frankly, I don’t see Thorne being able to replace Bras with minutes played next year. He looks like a 15-20 min per game guy tops. Also, we are one injury to a big away from having our season decimated. Even when Clark missed a game last year, or Clayton was hurting, we had plenty of others to step in if need be. Next year the cupboard is pretty bare if we run into any kind of injury or, even more likely, foul trouble.[/quote]

2 bigs play 80 minutes total. Clayton/Clark 30, and Thorne 20. Again, I agree we need more but I don’t think it is a we are screwed if we don’t need. That also led to my next question. Could we slide Vic down to the 4 if CUSA teams are more athletic than sheer size.[/quote]
Yes, that works out decently if no big guy ever gets hurt and no one ever gets in foul trouble. Unfortunately, thats not usually how it works.
Evic playing a good amount of minutes at 4 would be bad imho. I’m sure we could get by some cusa teams like that, but any good team we play would post him up and back him down repeatedly. He doesn’t have the phsicality or attitude to defend a 4 - even an undersized one like Clark would push him straight under the basket. But, from the looks of it, we may see this experiment happen.

We’ve had a good results with transfers. Kelvin Price, Plavich, and Mayfield all transferred here. The only one I remember not working out to be a major contributor was Gerrity. Stephens and Bennett came here from Jucos after leaving their original D1 schools. Either way, Sullivan is someone we can definitely use, and he will be a key contributor if he does come here.

[quote=“Powerbait, post:48, topic:27702”]Gerrity wasn’t a BCS transfer, he transferred to a BCS school.

And, the dude was awesome here. We just didn’t have an offense that was suited to his talents at all. He would be amazing on a team like this with his penetration and passing. We’d have lobcity with Clark too.[/quote]

I was referring to D1 transfers in general, regardless if they were BCS or not.

I was a Gerrity fan too. But saying he was awesome here is a bit of stretch. Not sure how he would work out in an AM system either. He got beat out by Dijuan in part because Dijuan was the better defender, which AM seems to prefer.

Any way, my point was that he was the only transfer that I could think of that wasn’t as successful in Charlotte as he was at his other stops. Wasn’t implying anything about his game or the system he played under.

In fact, Gerrity is the only one I can think of off the top of my head who perhaps went backwards while at Charlotte.[/quote]

marcus bennett never suited up for michigan but was tommy amakers top recruit, spears was a starter for bc who put up good numbers and plavich never suited up for ga. tech. so none of those examples make sense. im all for transfers but not ones that have proven to be flops.[/quote]

Regardless of the situation, just pointing out that transfers have generally done better at Charlotte than they did at their previous school. If Sullivan transfers I’m hoping he does the same.

Ok so I have a little more info on things. I was right about the DeVoe and Sullivan visit…so trust me with this, I promise I am not lying!!

-Sullivan was crazy impressive the other night when I watched him play. Think of him as a mix of JT Thompson and Darion Clark, and resembling Davidson’s De’Mon Brooks, but better. He is lefty and has some serious game. Only knock on his game that I saw was that his shot takes really long to finish, and was getting blocked a couple times on his wind up. And I am hearing that he is almost a lock to commit here after a really great recruiting trip.

if this kid becomes a niner i will root for him but playijng good in a pickup game does not convince me. sean phaler anybody? all the clemson fans describe him as a tweener who is too short for the four and too slow for the three. im not trying to badmouth the kid but i would feel better about signing him if we had landed a kid like atewe.

I think we would all agree with that.

I think the point is since we dont play ALL scholarship players and we don’t exactly have a huge signing class, what is the harm in signing him? We have a track record of finding guys who can contribute so it is worth a shot. If we were expecting him to come in and start and lead the team in scoring then your concerns would prob be equaled amongst many here. If we are just looking for a role player - I think this is fine and maybe he can surprise us.

http://ninernation.net/index.php?topic=26096.msg442652#msg442652

Book hasn’t changed on him. As a normal transfer, he will have to sit a year anyway, correct? Not eligible this season.

I think we’re being a bit too critical here. Skeen got some similar criticism and he performed well at VCU. Would not want to pass on another player that was improperly used at his 1st school.

I say sign him up if he wants to play for us.

If we were going to make a strong run to make the ncaa tourney and hopefully win some games, you would think it would be in 2 years with a team full of seniors and juniors. Wouldn’t hurt to have some depth.