Bobby or Matt

I agree with JCL - Doh could have the biggest initial impact. I think he is also the biggest gamble (usually the case with the big gambles - they pay more if they win). He hasn’t coached for a while and nobody has seemed to offer him. Still an unknown if he will be able to recruit given his credibility has been shot. Could bring in more fans - could also lose more support.

I think both Doh and Marshall are commonly referred to as a-holes (sounds like Marshall more than Doh, though). With the exception of the a-hole comments - the more I hear about Marshall, the more I like. Well deciplined teams. He may be an a-hole - but his players respond to him. And I read somewhere (probably on this board) that he has been the coach for Winthrop for 5 years and that they have been to the NCAA’s each of those 5 years. If that is true - WOW. This is a conference that is going to only get 1 bid - you have to win the conference. And he did it since his first year there? With somebody else’s players? I don’t know if this guy can recruit or not but it seems he can flat out coach.

I say Marshall over both.

Yeah, I read that Withrop’s RPI was 295 the year before he took them over. Since then they have improved every year and have yet to miss the NCAAA tournament. Their RPI was 82 this year. After watching them play Gonzaga, I think they probably would have beaten the “March 49ers” this year. His track record is impressive, but I am a little leary of him as well just because his success has come on a much lower level. I wonder how that would transfer to the A10… Bottom line is that anyone we bring in will be a gamble.

What has marshall done to earn his a-hole reputation? I don’t know that much about him aside from what I have read online or in the paper.

What about Rick Majerus. Is he interested in a coaching job? This may be the type of low stress environment for him, but he’d have to relocate to the east coast. I doubt we could get him, but one can always dream right?

[i]Originally posted by UNCC49R[/i]@Mar 23 2005, 08:53 AM [b] I do NOT believe he wants to leave UNCC nor wants it to be a "stepping stone" but my guess is he is frustrated with some of the administrative things going on (e.g. why put $, time and resources toward Woman's C-USA Tournament?) No offense to Katie Meier - that just doesn't make business sense to me.

Also, I have chatted with many people about Greg Marshall. I even talked to a former player of him. Not one person left out the word “a-hole” when describing him. If that is the case, he’d probably not get along well with Judy.

I do think some changes need to be made with Charlotte Athletics - Bobby Lutz is NOT one of them. [/b]

This is the best post and pretty much sums up what the situation is here since the word leaked out.

Rick Majerus, great guy but no offense, from a longevity standpoint we might as well hire keith richards.

[i]Originally posted by 49erFan1[/i]@Mar 23 2005, 03:03 PM [b] What about Rick Majerus. Is he interested in a coaching job? This may be the type of low stress environment for him, but he'd have to relocate to the east coast. I doubt we could get him, but one can always dream right? [/b]
He turned down over 1 million a year from USC, don't think we have a shot there. Though I'm sure he could teach our teach a much better OOfense.

I think those are some of the reasons why I put it out their, we don’t need him to be a long haul guy, however I think he could gap us through a turbulent time (this year and the next) and give our program a fresh start. This isn’t a rebuilding situation and the expectations won’t be high. He’ll have some talent and a small league to square off against. The biggest hitch to me would be the money. Obviously that’s not his primary concern. I hope our AD’s at least give it a shot. You never know. Stranger things have happened.

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Mar 23 2005, 01:35 PM [b] Lutz in November - 17-9 Lutz in December - 32-20 Lutz in January - 35-18 Lutz in February - 33-19 Lutz in March - 18-17

Overall: 135 - 83 (62% winning percentage) [/b]

Since you’re posting stats (twice), how about these from the poll on this site:

Matt Doh [ 46 ] [31.08%]
Greg Marshall [ 42 ] [28.38%]
Bob Mckillip [ 17 ] [11.49%]
Moxley [ 5 ] [3.38%]
Watkins [ 8 ] [5.41%]
Moss [ 6 ] [4.05%]
Bruce Pearl [ 8 ] [5.41%]
Other [ 16 ] [10.81%]

You may not want him here, but you’re in the minority based on the fans that frequent this board. I’ll take my chances, regardless of what you can dig up on the internet to suggest he can’t coach.

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner+Mar 23 2005, 10:50 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (LeftyNiner @ Mar 23 2005, 10:50 AM)
[i]Originally posted by CharlotteAlum[/i]@Mar 23 2005, 03:58 PM [b] What is the avg RPI of the teams that Doh lost to compared to the teams that Lutz lost to?

I’m sorry, but I don’t really think that the stats you listed are comparable. [/b]

What is the difference between the level of talent Doh had at his disposal and what Lutz had at his?

And in one year he lost to Hampton, Davidson, EA Sports all stars, Charleston, Ohio, Clemson and Virginia with said talent.

Lefty’s point wasn’t that Doh had losses, it was that his teams had a propensity for fading down the stretch, the same thing some here bash Lutz for.

[i]Originally posted by MKNiner+Mar 23 2005, 04:03 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (MKNiner @ Mar 23 2005, 04:03 PM)
[i]Originally posted by CharlotteAlum[/i]@Mar 23 2005, 04:06 PM [b] And lately we've complained that Lutz hasn't made the most of the talent that he has either. I'm just commenting that I don't think that the stats are comparable. [/b]
Probably not, but the stats aren't the comparison, it's the trend they show. And both coaches have shown a propensity to fade down the stretch in their careers. So one could argue going to Doh from Lutz is robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Lefty. Serously, we saw Bobby’s stats the first time you posted it. Point taken. :o

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er+Mar 23 2005, 03:56 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (jcl49er @ Mar 23 2005, 03:56 PM)
[i]Originally posted by franchise49er[/i]@Mar 23 2005, 04:11 PM [b] Lefty. Serously, we saw Bobby's stats the first time you posted it. Point taken. :o [/b]
Actually, loselutz.com guy was the first to present the month by month's for Lutz. He said Doherty would be far better on Penner & Mac. I found Doherty's. They're comparable. Both are average.

Hiring Matt Doherty would be one of the worst mistakes we could possibly make. I pray that it does not happen.

This whole thread is moot now. Based on the latest developments, I will be shocked if Lutz is not our coach next season.

I just hope that Bobby’s interest (interviewing) at UT was strictly a leverage move and not because he truly wanted to coach at a bigger school. If that’s not the case, then it will come across as him settling for us after not being hired at UT. Either way, I’m still hard pressed to believe that none of this played a part in our late season collapse. For that I’m very disappointed.

As I said in another thread, I’ll still be there at every game regardless of who’s coach and I’ll be just as much of a fan as I always have. As a Bills and Niners fan, I’m a glutton for misery so why change now?

The only thing that bothers me is the way Lutz announced that he had talked to UT. A lot of coaches would have denied or had no comment. I took that as Lutz saying, if any of you AD’s did not know before today you know now, I AM AVAILABLE. His tune has changed over the last few months and obviously something has caused this.

There are a few more jobs to be filled and the fallout could still have a bearing on us.

Matt Doherty also won 5 NCAA tournament games in one year. No 49er coach has done that over their entire career here.

He’s a risk with as equally big upside as downside.

If nothing else, the past few weeks may have deflated Bobby’s ego a bit.

He learned that his style of play with no defense and a renegade offense won’t win in March. He learned that he is not as hot an item as he thinks he is and he learned that he is no longer as popular at Charlotte as he may have once been.

Maybe now he will make some changes and bring a new look to Charlotte basketball. That is the only thing that is going to excite me if we go into another year with Lutz running the show.