Bryce Brown - 2015 G - signed LOI with Auburn

[quote=“JWNiner, post:39, topic:29032”]The last few years, the A-10 has gotten their fair share of bids. I could be wrong, but weren’t there more A-10 teams in the tourney than ACC teams a couple years ago? Sure Chaaarlotte didn’t make the tourney, but there was potential, in the A-10, to get an at large bid with a weak out of conference schedule I’ve grown used to at Charlotte.[/quote]We have to win, conference doesn’t matter if we can’t do that. Our schedule last year and this year are fine to get an at-large, we just have to take care of business.

[quote=“Honest Niner, post:37, topic:29032”][quote=“Niner National, post:23, topic:29032”][quote=“earlyniner, post:22, topic:29032”]auburn sounds sexy, i know. sec and all. but it might be a hard-sell to convince a kid that going there to a conference-second-tier program is better than going to an up-and-coming conference program. i truly believe we’re headed to the upper eschalon of our conference! and, furthermore, i think we’re about to pull the rest of the conference up.
THAT will be exciting to be a part of!
let’s hope so! and that bryce renews his committment![/quote]don’t underestimate the allure of Bruce Pearl.

He probably got an invite to a BBQ in exchange for his decommitment tonight.[/quote]

First there is a 1% chance this kid comes to Charlotte now. You do not commit to a program with intentions of signing early, only to decommit and then re-commit to that same program a few days later. He is going to Auburn.

Secondly I completely understand the allure of Bruce Pearl and it was one of the reasons I wanted Charlotte to hire him. He is a nationally recognized name in basketball and that in of itself represents an appeal to high school kids. Think about it for one second, you are a recruit walking through the halls and your friends ask you who is recruiting you (because you know they talk about this) and you say Alan Major! The group looks at you with blank stares before politely saying “that’s cool” and changing the conversation. If you insert Bruce Pearl there people would go “Oh wow Bruce Pearl!?! That’s awesome!”

Bruce Pearl was the HC of several nationally ranked teams at Tennessee and was an “expert” on ESPN for a number of years. (Yes due to suspension but nobody cares about that now) so his name and face has been seen by these kids for years. His name is immediately recognizable and cares with it a cache of credibility that Major simply does not have. Until we can be in the national spotlight for more than a few days or the occasional snippet here and there, we will lose many of these recruiting battles.[/quote] Yep. Makes good jam, too

Let him go to Auburn, the place where all basketball recruits go to die.

^^^^

^^^^

Not anymore. Now they will have just have Pearl give them promises and just recruit over them.

We could have danced last year if we had sealed the deal instead of imploding in the back end of the season.

There is plenty of opportunity to get to the NCAAs if we simply perform.

And staying on the A10 was not going to work for us due to football. We have to move on from that.

Frankly our biggest issue is not our conference it is our failure to perform on the court.

We didn’t perform in the A10 and that’s the simple truth.

A resurgent Charlotte team would get plenty of votes for an at large. It would fit the mid major narrative, the rebuilding narrative and release a lot of good will that we probably have left over from CUSA 1.0 but we have to give the committee something to work with. We have to give them an excuse to select us, not lots of reasons that we aren’t good enough.

I’m tired of all this belly aching about the conference. Just go out and win it and score a couple of good OOC wins (like last year!!!) and we will get the bid. That simple.

And I’m sure as hell not writing us off this year!

Even without Lester we have a ton of talent.

We have a good back court, plenty of experience, some hot recruits, a rising star center and a beast of a power forward.

We have a coach who has gotten his health in order and is ready to go!

We are going to put this thing together this year people!

Now I got that off my chest, see you tomorrow!

I’m tired of all this belly aching about the conference. Just go out and win it and score a couple of good OOC wins (like last year!!!) and we will get the bid. That simple.[/quote]

Yeah, I’m getting tired of hearing that too. If CUSA does well OOC then the number of bids will take care of itself.

Not to mention that even the A10 in most cases is not going to persuade a kid from going to a P5 conference.

[quote=“Niner National, post:23, topic:29032”][quote=“earlyniner, post:22, topic:29032”]auburn sounds sexy, i know. sec and all. but it might be a hard-sell to convince a kid that going there to a conference-second-tier program is better than going to an up-and-coming conference program. i truly believe we’re headed to the upper eschalon of our conference! and, furthermore, i think we’re about to pull the rest of the conference up.
let’s hope so! and that bryce renews his committment![/quote]don’t underestimate the allure of Bruce Pearl.

He probably got an invite to a BBQ in exchange for his decommitment tonight.[/quote]
It isn’t the allure of Pearl, it is that Pearl is in the P5 and they have already committed to the “full cost of attendance” scholarships. Auburn can hand Brown a check for thousands of dollars each year on top of everything else that has traditionally been covered. That is the new P5 vs G5 recruiting technique. Auburn can give a player things that Charlotte cannot. We had better get used to this.

[quote=“Nugget, post:49, topic:29032”][quote=“Niner National, post:23, topic:29032”][quote=“earlyniner, post:22, topic:29032”]auburn sounds sexy, i know. sec and all. but it might be a hard-sell to convince a kid that going there to a conference-second-tier program is better than going to an up-and-coming conference program. i truly believe we’re headed to the upper eschalon of our conference! and, furthermore, i think we’re about to pull the rest of the conference up.

It isn’t the allure of Pearl, it is that Pearl is in the P5 and they have already committed to the “full cost of attendance” scholarships. Auburn can hand Brown a check for thousands of dollars each year on top of everything else that has traditionally been covered. That is the new P5 vs G5 recruiting technique. Auburn can give a player things that Charlotte cannot. We had better get used to this.[/quote]CUSA has already stated that they would provide full cost of attendance stipends too.

[quote=“Niner National, post:50, topic:29032”][quote=“Nugget, post:49, topic:29032”][quote=“Niner National, post:23, topic:29032”][quote=“earlyniner, post:22, topic:29032”]auburn sounds sexy, i know. sec and all. but it might be a hard-sell to convince a kid that going there to a conference-second-tier program is better than going to an up-and-coming conference program. i truly believe we’re headed to the upper eschalon of our conference! and, furthermore, i think we’re about to pull the rest of the conference up.

It isn’t the allure of Pearl, it is that Pearl is in the P5 and they have already committed to the “full cost of attendance” scholarships. Auburn can hand Brown a check for thousands of dollars each year on top of everything else that has traditionally been covered. That is the new P5 vs G5 recruiting technique. Auburn can give a player things that Charlotte cannot. We had better get used to this.[/quote]CUSA has already stated that they would provide full cost of attendance stipends too.[/quote]
It has not happened yet though. They are still trying to figure out what that means, and schools in a conference cannot even talk to each other about what they are planning to do. The judge said that would be collusion. So right now the P5 is ahead of the game and has an advantage.

Here is another interesting scenario. The “full cost of attendance” at Duke is higher than at Chapel Hill because it is a state school. If they are recruiting the same athlete and Roy tells the kid he is going to give him a $3000 check, but K says we are going to give you $8000 where do you think the player is going to school? This is going to create a huge mess for all of us.

If this discussion continues, we probably need to split the thread.

This full cost of attendance thing will not survive Title IX as proposed, unless Texas is going to pay its Women’s Volleyball players $10k/each as well. I donlt know why that keeps getting glossed over even by the major news outlets. Title IX is a Federal law, not some NCAA rule. The NCAA has no say in that whatsoever.

However, if revenue sharing, and not just trying to create free agency so the P5 can leverage their already considerable advantages some more (poor wittle P5 - too bad you’re just stuck with billionaire alums throwing unregulated cash at your programs), then the answer to the entire issue is so simple it hurts - have all schools contribute a fixed % of revenues (not profits - no book cooking) to a single revenue sharing fund for all of NCAA athletics. This should incude fair portions of TV, licensing and bowl money. Every college athlete in good academic standing should receive an equal share of the money. Wham. Problem solved. No Title IX violations, and no defacto P5 no salary cap free agency market. A student athlete can fairly choose the best educational opportunity for himself/herself and know that they will have some pocket money.

But, you see, this isnt about fairness or sharing. It’s about the P5 schools trying to buy out the competition and widen the competitive gap even more. It’s utter B.S. If it were a legit concern, my solution would be the obvious answer.

[quote=“Nugget, post:51, topic:29032”][quote=“Niner National, post:50, topic:29032”][quote=“Nugget, post:49, topic:29032”][quote=“Niner National, post:23, topic:29032”][quote=“earlyniner, post:22, topic:29032”]auburn sounds sexy, i know. sec and all. but it might be a hard-sell to convince a kid that going there to a conference-second-tier program is better than going to an up-and-coming conference program. i truly believe we’re headed to the upper eschalon of our conference! and, furthermore, i think we’re about to pull the rest of the conference up.

It isn’t the allure of Pearl, it is that Pearl is in the P5 and they have already committed to the “full cost of attendance” scholarships. Auburn can hand Brown a check for thousands of dollars each year on top of everything else that has traditionally been covered. That is the new P5 vs G5 recruiting technique. Auburn can give a player things that Charlotte cannot. We had better get used to this.[/quote]CUSA has already stated that they would provide full cost of attendance stipends too.[/quote]
It has not happened yet though. They are still trying to figure out what that means, and schools in a conference cannot even talk to each other about what they are planning to do. The judge said that would be collusion. So right now the P5 is ahead of the game and has an advantage.

Here is another interesting scenario. The “full cost of attendance” at Duke is higher than at Chapel Hill because it is a state school. If they are recruiting the same athlete and Roy tells the kid he is going to give him a $3000 check, but K says we are going to give you $8000 where do you think the player is going to school? This is going to create a huge mess for all of us.[/quote]
The student athlete is never given a check for room, board, and tuition. That is handled directly by the school administration. The stipend is for incidental expenses to be set by the NCAA. In other words, the schools cannot outbid each other. Heretofore, there has been no official talk of any differences in FBS schools, unless an FBS school’s conference opts out.

[quote=“NinerNirvana, post:53, topic:29032”][quote=“Nugget, post:51, topic:29032”][quote=“Niner National, post:50, topic:29032”][quote=“Nugget, post:49, topic:29032”][quote=“Niner National, post:23, topic:29032”][quote=“earlyniner, post:22, topic:29032”]auburn sounds sexy, i know. sec and all. but it might be a hard-sell to convince a kid that going there to a conference-second-tier program is better than going to an up-and-coming conference program. i truly believe we’re headed to the upper eschalon of our conference! and, furthermore, i think we’re about to pull the rest of the conference up.

Here is another interesting scenario. The “full cost of attendance” at Duke is higher than at Chapel Hill because it is a state school. If they are recruiting the same athlete and Roy tells the kid he is going to give him a $3000 check, but K says we are going to give you $8000 where do you think the player is going to school? This is going to create a huge mess for all of us.[/quote]
The student athlete is never given a check for room, board, and tuition. That is handled directly by the school administration. The stipend is for incidental expenses to be set by the NCAA. In other words, the schools cannot outbid each other. Heretofore, there has been no official talk of any differences in FBS schools, unless an FBS school’s conference opts out.[/quote]
My understanding is that student athletes will be handed a check moving forward. The room, board, tuition, and books will not go to them, but costs that “typical” students incure, like a couple of trips home each semester will be considered a part of the “full cost of attendance”. So two kids on the same team could get different checks if one is in state, and the other from out of state and needs airfare. This is all still being hammered out.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:52, topic:29032”]If this discussion continues, we probably need to split the thread.

This full cost of attendance thing will not survive Title IX as proposed, unless Texas is going to pay its Women’s Volleyball players $10k/each as well. I donlt know why that keeps getting glossed over even by the major news outlets. Title IX is a Federal law, not some NCAA rule. The NCAA has no say in that whatsoever.

However, if revenue sharing, and not just trying to create free agency so the P5 can leverage their already considerable advantages some more (poor wittle P5 - too bad you’re just stuck with billionaire alums throwing unregulated cash at your programs), then the answer to the entire issue is so simple it hurts - have all schools contribute a fixed % of revenues (not profits - no book cooking) to a single revenue sharing fund for all of NCAA athletics. This should incude fair portions of TV, licensing and bowl money. Every college athlete in good academic standing should receive an equal share of the money. Wham. Problem solved. No Title IX violations, and no defacto P5 no salary cap free agency market. A student athlete can fairly choose the best educational opportunity for himself/herself and know that they will have some pocket money.

But, you see, this isnt about fairness or sharing. It’s about the P5 schools trying to buy out the competition and widen the competitive gap even more. It’s utter B.S. If it were a legit concern, my solution would be the obvious answer.[/quote]
Splitting the thread might be a good idea. I started this part of the discussion because the word is that Brown has decommited from us because of this wrinkle in the system.

As we speak, Pear is telling Brown “You see that game last night? You can either come here and play or sit on the bench at Charlotte.”

[quote=“gamer, post:56, topic:29032”]As we speak, Pear is telling Brown “You see that game last night? You can either come here and play or sit on the bench at Charlotte.”[/quote] :))

[quote=“Nugget, post:55, topic:29032”][quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:52, topic:29032”]If this discussion continues, we probably need to split the thread.

But, you see, this isnt about fairness or sharing. It’s about the P5 schools trying to buy out the competition and widen the competitive gap even more. It’s utter B.S. If it were a legit concern, my solution would be the obvious answer.[/quote]
Splitting the thread might be a good idea. I started this part of the discussion because the word is that Brown has decommited from us because of this wrinkle in the system.[/quote]
According to what I read Texas is paying 6 million per year in stipends at 10K a piece. That’s 600 athletes. So that would include everyone. Women and men’s sports

Pearl was recruiting Brown back in August, probably already inviting him over to BBQs. Won’t be long, Pearl will be in hot water again. Fool me once…

Has he officially signed his LOI at Auburn yet?