Charlotte @ FAU 10/3 4PM ESPNU

One last shout out. I thought Lance Mcmillian was really good today.

The last play has to be thrown into the end zone. Maybe get a penalty. What were Tucker and Reynolds doing?

Tucker has the best hands on the team and he was nowhere near the end zone. That pass to him would be better suited to a running back. Tucker should have been in the end zone like he was last year against UNT.

We didn’t have a play drawn up. It was “oh sh, get to the ball and do something.” It was certainly poor presence of mind to not get in the end zone, but the sack was what doomed us.

If we weren’t so lackadaisical on that last drive with clock management, we may not have been so rushed at the end. However, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts…

1 Like

Don’t have to worry about Healy going anywhere anytime soon at this rate

2 Likes

With App on the sideline I watched your game. Frustrating I know but it wasn’t Coaching. Ease up on Healy. He will be fine. Execution left points off the board. A little more quality depth will = wins.

5 Likes

clt says our numbers were very easy to read…too easy

The next 5 opponents are a combined 4-12 including 3 winless teams and a 1 win team. This stretch (if played) will tell you all you need to know.

2 Likes

Agree. We really need to make some hay against north Texas, utep and FIU. Duke will really tell us where we are.

The final part of the schedule with WKU and Marshall is gonna be tough sledding again

That is it in a nutshell. Also, Looking at WKU this year, I’m not too impressed. They simply aren’t clicking. That doesn’t mean they won’t when we get to them but right now they don’t look so good. Marshall however…

I love Healy and what he has done so far. He has changed our culture, improved our recruiting, and has done a great job selling our program.

That being said, he still has a long way to go as an in game coach. Not going for 2 yesterday to make it a 3 pt game was just ridiculous. The conservative play calling with the lead would have made Dan Quinn and the Falcons proud. He also really needs to work on his timeout usage. He has burned through them in several games going back to last year.

These first 2 games have been against really tough competition, but we have to play cleaner football and that starts with coaching. I still think we can rally and get to 6 or 7 wins this year.

Side note- I’m not sure if attempting so many long field goals with Cruz is a great idea moving forward. He has a great leg but his accuracy seems to have regressed. We don’t want to crush his confidence.

3 Likes

another point that needs to be made. our defensive line really stepped up for us on that last stand. a stop on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 where fau could have iced it and taken a knee and our offense was not ready to return the favor.

2 Likes

This game still bugs me, it’s a tough one to swallow.

Positives are we looked like from a talent perspective we belonged. The defense played outstanding in my opinion and this team never quit.

The negatives are that something is off with the offense. I’m not enough of an X&Os guy to know what it is, but our point output these past two games have been pretty pathetic. We have all these weapons, a good O-Line and a top three QB, and we can’t muster up more than 17 points? We’re not going to win a lot of games scoring less than 25 points a game. Coaching staff and players better figure it out quick.

I think the sad reality, is we still are not at a level where we can beat top tier G5 teams. I have full confidence we will be able to handle the UTEPs, Middles and North Texas’s of the conference.

Typically it takes two years in my opinion for the team to start reflecting the recruiting and culture a new coach wants to put in place. The positive about this season is it’s already sort of a wash, so let’s just go out there and have fun.

The issue I see with Cruz is that he appears to be ready to crush it long ever time instead of going for a little less leg
and more accuracy. He could reach from 60 but do you need that for a 40 yarder?

These things are obsessively bugging me: two missed fgs that had plenty of distance and one TD negated by a penalty. Let that sink in. I have and it will take a few days for it to flow out. :scream:

Yeah… But to build confidence, you gotta kick 'em. 44 and 48 yds are well within his range

Not only his range, but every D1 kickers range

We are 3 point favorites at NT currently. Our first game as the favorite. Let’s see how it goes.

1 Like