Charlotte joins the AAC

I heard the interview…you might want to re read Hills comments again if you think he said anything more than “if we needed to play a game or some games at BoA”.

He essentially said there are no immediate plans to upgrade/expand our stadium…but we hope to someday. In the meantime we’ll play at BOA if it becomes an issue with the AAC.

And you guys wonder why our last AD was so stealth…

He clearly said that our women’s lacrosse team would be taking over Jerry Richardson Stadium and that we begged the Panthers to let us play all of our football games at their stadium and they begrudgingly said yes.

We should disband the program and I refuse to go to any more games until someone personally shows me the master plan.

1 Like

No, you are reading way too much into his comments…he said no such thing.

He sayeth repent! Repent, or Oden will command Thor’s hammer where it will hurt the most

None of us know what Mike Hill is planning, everything stated on this forum is speculation, but personally I am afraid that if stadium expansion is 5 or 6 years away, we will have to use BOA stadium as our home until then, this takes fans, recruits, and students away from our campus, created a poor atmosphere and environment for a college game, and possibly leads to even worse attendance numbers, and at a time when we are trying to recruit at a higher level and get national exposure for our program, this potential plan to play at BOA will neutralize our plans, I would rather see temporary bleachers put in to get us to whatever capacity requirements we need

1 Like

Not going to happen.

2 Likes

Henny Penny, is that you?

So if expansion is 5 or 6 years away why would we be playing in BOA for those years???

Jon Stewart What GIF

Because the AAC may have stadium capacity requirements, and if we cant afford to expand our stadium to meet these requirements initially, then we will have to use an alternative stadium (BOA) until we can raise the funds necessary to expand our stadium, and I am hypothetically speaking about if expansion is 5 or 6 years away

Looping back to this post about expansion costs… It’s still on my mind, and I still think this was a gross overestimate.

So I decided to find a current analogue, other than just UABs Protective Stadium. How about a stadium still under construction, that isn’t scheduled for completion until 9/3/22?

I present Aztec stadium. The new home of SDSU Aztecs. They bought the existing stadium (former home of the SD Chargers) for $88 million, and are doing a complete teardown and erection of a new, modern 35,000 seat stadium (pre engineered and designed for expansion to 55,000) for a total of $310 million. If they can do a full tear down and construction of something this nice (see pictures below) for that amount of money (and I’m still not clear if the $88M is part of that $310M project cost, but it might be), then there’s no way in hell we are spending $200-$300 million to just expand our existing structure, even if we are adding some similar features.

Anyway, here is their stadium. I think there are some cool ideas here we could incorporate:

NE-Bar-690x420

Of particular note here:

*The stadium is at least partially sunken

*There is no giant press tower

*However there are multiple types of club / box / premium seating.

*That multistory club in one end zone is seriously cool.

*They have a nice sized video board corner mounted like some MLS teams I have seen. That might be polarizing but I like it.

I think that a lot of the ideas could be brought into our expansion, as our existing structure is very much like the base of this one. And we could potentially save on building a monolithic press box.

3 Likes

The early renderings of our stadium expansion show the first row of the new levels starting pretty far behind the back rows of the lower level. If I had my choice, I would prefer that the first rows of the upper level be built so that they cantilever over the upper rows of the lower level.

8 Likes

Clearly Mike Hill is anti-cantilever which is why he is planning for us to play all home games at Bank of America Stadium.

EMB was talking about stadium expansion…it won’t be that long though.

If SMU, SF, and Memphis leave, AAC isn’t going to hold anyone to have expansions of any type as the conference will then be scrambling just to competitive. Thus forget about BOA, it will not be a factor.

There’s actually lots of construction videos up for the new Aztec Stadium on Youtube.

Yep…

clt says that is a great model for our expansion.

Do you think that Mike Hill will change or alter our original expansion designs that were released, I absolutely love the way the stadium expansion plans look, I think that if we use this design and capacity we will have a stadium on par with anything in the ACC, and better than any non-professional stadium in the AAC

UNCC football stadium art 315