Charlotte joins the AAC

You are exactly right when you say everything stated on this board is speculation. Many here like to immediately jump off the deep end.

In my opinion, the worst case scenario is we bring in temporary bleachers and get close to 25k at JRS. The only game I could see potentially being played at BofA (10% chance), is the first ECU game at Charlotte. I would hate to play off campus, even for one game, but like I said, I don’t see that happening.

As far as construction phasing, we would not have to vacate the stadium for any stadium renovations. Everything should be able to be completed within an offseason. If we decide to stick with the large tower, that would be the most complex part. The tower at NC State took them a year and a half to construct (January to June), but theirs is likely much larger than we have plans for. They also were able to open sections of it while it was under construction to allow it to be functional during football season. We wouldn’t have that issue since our press box wouldn’t be affected by expansion. Everything will be built behind it and on top of it. Then they will be converted to suites.

Without a doubt there will adjustments from the previous design. First and foremost because that AD was clueless with football. Mike will have a much better idea of what is needed. In addition AAC requests and just shifts in what is needed.

My guess is we will possibly see a smaller seat total but expanded premium seat options.

1 Like

clt says the SEC will be giving us feedback as well….

The draft AFMP had a tower budgeted but they could just keep it where it is and add more boxes around it.

Just FYI, College Gameday is going to Cincy next week…

3 Likes

Can’t really argue with this assessment.

Just a reminder we haven’t been the only ones trying to hit up large donors and corporations for big donations to a large 250 mil dollar fund raising campaign.

And, you know Johnson C Smith is going to get donations before Charlotte.

1 Like

https://shop.theamerican.org/

clt says shop now

1 Like

Strange, I ALSO can’t find Niner gear here EITHER.

Listening to Colin Cowherd today, he had Joel Klatt on for a segment. Klatt is a color analyst for Fox college football. He mentioned how he would like for college football championship to expand to 12 teams, with 6 automatics coming from “the top 6” conference champions. It’s unclear if the top 6 is referring to the AAC, or if he’s referring to a yearly top 6 rpi style format.

If he is implying the AAC is part of that top 6 then that is huge if it can get any steam.

1 Like

Mostly about FAU but we’re mentioned too:

https://conferenceusa.com/sorry.ashx

We better step up recruiting in basketball and football, after the Rice game in football, and Monmouth game in basketball, we obviously do not have the talent needed to compete in the AAC, we are going to be dependent upon the transfer portal to minimize the deficiencies in recruiting, maybe we need to try expanding our recruiting footprint from beyond the southeast

Well, I think we need to step up recruiting in cusa first. Then… we’ll need to step up recruiting in the aac. Cart before the horse. Can’t blame coaches for not recruiting for aac until we actually joined.

We don’t have AAC level talent because we weren’t in that league - I think everyone is aware of that. Now that we are hopefully we will see recruiting improve soon as coaches will start leveraging that immediately. The transfer portal IMO will be a standard tool for G5s going forward.

So far in basketball I’m a huge fan of the transfer portal

Every program should be recruiting the best possible talent regardless of what conference they are in or aspire to be in, but seeing us struggle against Rice in football and Monmouth in basketball, I mean damn, what is it going to be like against the AAC teams, do you guys think that we are on par talent wise, or is this solely a coaching or lack of coaching situation, I see us as a middle of the pack Conference USA team in football, and probably a lower tier Conference USA basketball team this year

Football takes a long time. I think we are improving slowly. It can be painful the way we lose though. I do think some coordinator changes need to happen. We’ll see what happens in the off-season.

Basketball… obviously Sanchez has not done well. He needs to feel the heat from Hill and put up results or Hill needs to hire a new coach to take us to the AAC. By year 3 you should kinda see what you got and by year 4 it’s make it happen or it won’t ever. BUT I don’t see this team as a lower tier cusa team this year. Sanchez should def be fired if he isn’t maybe top 3.