Charlotte @ MTSU 11/7 3:30PM - postponed

Feels like back when many of us were in school and we didnā€™t have a football team to pull for on Saturdays.

3 Likes

I just wonder if it is the frequency of testing. Maybe they catch it earlier and able to separate people quicker.

Itā€™s apparent some schools have made a decision that the risks associated with COVID are extremely lower than the financial risks of not playing.

1 Like

My understanding is CUSA schools test three times a week. I believe the SEC is the same. The Big 10 tests every day which in theory could reduce the number of players impacted by contact tracing. Wisconsin hasnā€™t benefited from the daily testing nor has some of the PAC-12 schools not playing this week. The big outliers to COVID-19 shutdowns appear to be the top SEC schools (exception the Florida Gators postponed a game). My guess is the SEC schools and other top football programs are turning a blind eye to positive tests.

2 Likes

Well hard to dispute that. Data seems to show that most of the athletes are very very low risk even if they catch it. On the other hand not playing the sport that funds most ADs it risks thousands of kids not having their sport sponsored.

I think the SEC is, smartly, taking the necessary precautions whenever they have a positive test. They are using logic and science to make decisions and not over reacting. Blind eye may be too strong a term.

If you read our announcement it says ā€œout of an abundance of cautionā€. Thatā€™s the difference between teams that are choosing to play and those that arenā€™t.

Iā€™m not there so I will leave it to our AD to make the decision. I just hope 3-6 months from now these decisions prove to be prudent.

2 Likes

The big difference could be the way they are handling or reporting contact tracing. Itā€™s easier to play if you only sit players who have tested positive. If you turn a blind eye to contact tracing a lot less games would be cancelled

3 Likes

I am sure this is the difference. How each school is handling and reporting contact tracing.

1 Like

If SEC is ignoring or turning a blind eye it will come out later. Pearls will be clutched as always but nothing will be done. Same ol same ol.

1 Like

We also know from earlier this season CUSA doesnā€™t let anyone test out of a positive testā€¦ I bet SEC does it all the timeā€¦ we saw it with Saban

2 Likes

Sun Belt has lost/postponed 3 games for this BS, CUSA 20 and counting. Our conference COVID policy apparently is excessive in some form.

4 Likes

clt is certain that testing isnā€™t happening at UNC CHeat.

No COVID testing as well

2 Likes

Adding to the confusion and frustration is, if we are postponing games out of an abundance of caution and player safety, then why did we schedule a meaningless home game with GWU?

Yeah, we are "screwing ourselves"as usual.

Libertyā€™s testing protocol this season: if a player shows symptoms they get tested.

That is the correct protocol in my opinion.

1 Like

Fug. At least we can lead the nation in something this year.

Best way to do it.

Itā€™s frustrating watching Coastal and Liberty making a name for themselves while we are sidelined.

The Liberty win over VT is extremely frustrating.

1 Like