Charlotte to Hire Michigan associate Head Coach Biff Poggi as new Head Football Coach

Not surprised, we have had unmotivated people running our athletic department for a long time.

We have to have a sea change in our mindset.

I also recognize that the fanbase is unmotivated by our recent revenue sports performance. Chicken & the Egg.

Someone like Poggi is going to have to lead a complete change in public perception and mindset for this program to succeed.

1 Like

I’d be willing to give several thousand a year. But I want someone to ask me me for it and I don’t me an undergrad intern. I want someone to tell me we are building something, tell me where the money’s going, and make me buy in. That requires vision, accountability, and follow through though.

Not going to fucking throw away money for a program people locally don’t care about and nationally doesn’t even know exists.

Me donating a decent amount while getting the dreaded five eyeballs look from out of owners when I tell them I pull for Charlotte is an indignation I can’t stomach.

4 Likes

clt says you get phone calls from high level folks when you donate at the green jacket level and up

1 Like

Completely agree, Biff’s “personality and aura” will only go so far past this first season, then it takes passing out some dead presidents to get the talent. It will take a bit of time for a culture/perception change, I just hope Biff is in it for the build up.

Charlotte takes care of its donors. There is a Green Jacket Event tomorrow night. There is the Bonnie Cone society and invites to Athletic Foundation banquets among others. My experience is that they don’t just take the money and run. Reach out to them or let them know you are interested. Help them find you.

4 Likes

I donated quite a bit over the minimum levels to keep FSLs but not GJC. When I let my FSLs go not a single person, intern or otherwise called me. No one asked why I was letting them go. No one reached out and asked why I stopped donating. I go way back with a few folks in the AD and no one called.

I don’t want to be part of a little inner circle for Lil Ole uncc. I’m happy to donate well above GJC levels if I felt like it was a worthwhile endeavor. If I’m going to donate just to support scholarships I’d rather give it to academics. It has to be about excellence and presence and raising the profile of the university and it very much doesn’t feel that way.

Knowing Ninercentral well, I’m going to answer for him and say he doesn’t give a shit about that and cares about seeing an enjoyable, winning product. A program that sets public goals, and publicly strives to meet or beat them.

IDGAF about banquets. I can go eat a nice dinner on my own time whenever I want.

2 Likes

clt wants the biff hat now

I wonder if Mike Hill tuned in to WFNZ to see what Biff had to say :joy:. It’s so MFing frustrating. Up until the last few years I thought all we needed to do to be relevant was hire a good basketball & football coach. Since NIL came into play It’s so much more complicated & difficult. I hope Biff is in this for the long haul. If he throws his hands up & says F it in a couple of years we might as well pack it up. He was all the hope I had left & it sounds like he’s already getting tired of this almost hopeless battle.

2 Likes

We may not ever be top 25. We probably won’t be top 40. But if we can be top 1-3 in AAC, I’ll be happy with that for now. Hopefully we can compete in the conference.

1 Like

Im guessing biff doesnt agree. He said playoff, thats the standard im holding him to

He also said top 15 defense. Seems like comments he has made the last several months is hinting out the impossibilities if the job instead of the win everything attitude.

2 Likes

IMHO, I just listened to the complete interview. That message was not to the 49er Club crowd, this was aimed at the big corporate businesses. He wants the alumni that work at these to suggest to their organizations to take a small piece of what they spend at Panthers, Hornets, Wells Fargo etc… and give to CLT. If it’s good competition, their clients would enjoy it on a nice fall afternoon watching football. The couple of thousand for the players, not all players and not cars, is for the 49er Club’ers. It worked on me, and I stopped before. Stadium expansion on the 20 of the top 1000 Fortune Companies in the CLT region and big local brands, ie… HT, CPI security, Morris Jenkins, etc… They are spending money on their vendors with other events, i know, I go to them. Biff just wants a small piece, sliver. The saying from the Field of Dreams movie will not work in today’s athletics landscape.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Doesn’t sound like a happy boy :grimacing:

Didn’t have time to listen. Why do you say that?

That interview was somewhat depressing.

1 Like

Man was that refreshing. I’m sure he’s tried to play nice with local partners and with no one willing to pony up, he may go scorched earth. WTH does he have to lose? This guy came from Michigan. He knows how those programs operate at that level. So he’s seeing what we all see. We have tremendous potential, but a community not willing to embrace it. Sure, it would be nice to have a large donor in our pocket, but we don’t. Most schools don’t. But they have support of their cities and communities. Charlotte is too big to not have a power house D1 football program. That could be and should be us.

I feel like Poggi is saying the things Mike Hill should be saying. We need support and money to succeed. Why are you not supporting us? That was really refreshing to hear but also sobering. Poggi will quit before he’s fired, so Mike Hill better buckle up if he’s ready to play with the big boys. Sounds like if things don’t change or improve financially, he’s gone.

3 Likes

If you’re top 1-3 in the AAC you’ll be a fringe to 25 team. If you’re #1 in the AAC then most years you’re in the playoff.

I wouldn’t be surprised if both UTSA and Tulane are ranked next year.