Clt starts the 2020 Charlotte v appy chat page

Appy fans struggle to find clt

2 Likes

We played in our first ncaa sanctioned bowl game last year and we did it about 80 years quicker than y’all did. So you can have your 2019 Chapel Hill and USC wins (neither had a winning record in their conferences so not like those wins were really that big), I’ll take our trajectory.

5 Likes

Well we have both qualified and won our bowl game every year since we have been bowl eligible and finished top 25 the past 2 years. I’ll go ahead and take our trajectory. You can have your bowl loss blowout and wins against against Marshall and Southern Miss.

In our 7th year. How were y’all doing in year 7? You have no idea what it’s been like to fight for a team, get a team and build a program from nothing to where we are now. So if you want to talk shit with an 80 year head start… :man_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

If you wanna talk shit when your program hasn’t won a single bowl and have an overall losing record …:man_shrugging:

Again. 7 years. Do they not teach basic math in Boone?

1 Like

Thank God we are getting back to normal. Appy trolls > virus talk. :grin:

4 Likes

clt says appy has peaked and is on the way down. Mind you peaked for appy is being in the lowly sunbelt and being too poor to provide common items in your concession stands.

You’re the one who can’t do math. Saying a team who in 5 years of FBS play came and out with a 19-42 record has a better trajectory than a team who in 6 years in the FBS, has a 61-17 record, qualified and won their bowl game every year since being bowl eligible and have been a top 25 program 2 consecutive years. But keep on trucking with that 1st grade math bud, you’ll get there someday, I believe in you :laughing:, but until then, grownups are taking kid, pipe down

Y’all have done some great stuff in one sport sure. Never denied that. All that success in football and it took 80 years for an FBS invite and your first bowl game. It also got you 5 million in the hole before pandemic hit. It sure hasn’t helped your basketball team to do anything - most of your fanbase doesn’t even know you play basketball or any other sports. Given we have been shit in the last decade some of that without football we still out fund raise you.

Again we went from no football to bowl team in 7 years. Not sure what’s so hard to understand about that. It took y’all 80 years to get to where we got in 7.

Congrats?

1 Like

it took app state 86 years to get to the FBS and reach a bowl.

it took charlotte 2 years to get to the FBS and 6 years to reach a bowl.

app state has literally formed their team (in 1928) before charlotte college was even founded, and yet we have almost accomplished everything that you have done in a much shorter time span.

oh right and you’re stuck in the sun belt.

1 Like

Case closed!

App certainly went all in for football, and then some. Based on the reports, all indications point to App going a bit too far. Debts and expenses for App should be a real concern for App. After we put 42 on them and win, they should enjoy the remainder of their season. Their future looks cloudy at best because of their financials, remote location and limited conference potential.

2 Likes

To become an FBS team you need to be invited by an FBS conference, and it did not take Charlotte 86 years to get one. It didn’t even take us 2 years. We were invited by two FBS conferences two years before we ever played a game. As soon as the 49ers announced we were starting a team we had FBS options.

1 Like

And had we started football when we should have we would have slipped right into an FBS league and possibly a BCS league in less than 5 years.

Don’t be too hard on him, he’s still sad that despite all that history CUSA wouldn’t give Appy an invite.

oh i didn’t realize that we were invited to 2 different conferences beforehand, which one was the other one?

sorry, i’m a new fan that is starting to get into college football and figure i should be a supporter of the university lol

Both the Sun Belt and C-USA offered us invitations. We weighed the options, and selected C-USA as the better conference. Three fun facts: Charlotte is a founding member of both the Sun Belt and C-USA. A number of C-USA members over the years have left the Sun Belt to join C-USA, but no team has left C-USA to join the Sun Belt. Many of the AAC teams came from C-USA, but they have never invited a team from the Sun Belt to join.

2 Likes

I have three main issues with App folks.

1. They have an amazing football base - we would love to have that. If they supported the rest of the program anywhere close to how they support football they would be a force but most of their football fans are Heel basketball folks. Literally every app football season ticket holder I know which is 10 plus all are Heel fans. Our football fanbase on the other hand is all in on 49er sports. All of them. We Have our share of Heel and other schools fans but they don’t claim us in any sport. I just love an App fan talking football shit talk and then having zero idea what their basketball team is doing. I went up to a App football season ticket holder friend last year and said Congrats on the big basketball win the other night, his response “how is beating Elon a big win?”. That’s right he thought I was talking Chapel Hill.

2. Most App folks that talk smack showed up to a winning team. How hard is that? I attended app football games in the mid 90s and the stadium wasn’t much bigger than ours. Our team on the other hand was built against the wishes of our AD and Chancellor. We have had to fight against our own administration to get where we are. We had one of the worst ADs in the nation and zero vision. All of that and here we are building a program and making a bowl game in only the 7th year of existence. App has done almost everything right and we’ve done almost everything wrong but yet here we are. Hitting milestones way faster than App did and not in financial trouble.

3. Most of us were App supporters when we didn’t have a team. I always rooted for App against the power schools. We were rooting for App against Michigan. Yet when we started fighting for a team the loudest voices from a fanbase against us came from Boone. Taking shots at us each step of the way. Every other instate fanbase supported us, even ECU.

At the end of the day though I don’t really care about App. They are just someone to climb over. They have the best football program in the state which honestly says more about the sad state of college football in N.C. than it does about App. Our goals are higher though. We are trying to get our AD back to where we were in the 1990-2005 with multiples sports, but this time with football and with better leadership. All that means is we have to get by App football on the way up. Beating them won’t be that big a deal - if it’s this year great if not don’t worry it’s coming. We are already ahead of them on everything else.

5 Likes

The comparison of how long it took Appy to get to a bowl versus us is not apples-to-apples.
You can hardly blame them that for many years there were only 4 bowl games. While I’m pleased we went bowling last year, had we started in the 40’s or 50’s , we would hardly have been invited to the Cotton Bowl to face Oklahoma or Texas. That is, if we had existed as a major university then.
Now, as to future prospects, there is no doubt in my mind we will surpass App, as we have in every other sport.