Coaching Rumors

I have been away from the news all afternoon/evening at work. This is great news. You never ā€œofferā€ a coach a job until the details have been worked out and they agree to take it. This is a done deal. You never announce anything until you are ready to. Whatever Houston is saying is a negotiated thing between all parties. JMU still has football to play, and he is doing the best he can by them. It is a tough situation.

Now all we need is Satterfield to get a new job and we can put a bow on it.

3 Likes

houston should have avoided the media and kept his mouth shut. period. full stop.

2 Likes

I agree Nugget. Hard to believe this is anything other than a delay due to their playoff game. Otherwise someone majorly screwed the pooch.

2 Likes

I think he had to address the media once the rumors hit the internet.

That is absolutely nonsense. People no comment on that crap all the time. Or he could have simply released a statement that said ā€œI am JMUs coachā€

1 Like

iā€™m sticking to the old-line position here: he should have stuck with his up-coming game and simply told the media that that was his focus. all he had to do.
but this way heā€™s sorta announced his intention without announcing his intention.
i wonā€™t call it ā€œweakā€, but i will call it a mistake, IMHO.

but bottom lineā€¦iā€™m thrilled. (so far)

This is odd, to say the least. The practice has always been to not comment if the deal canā€™t yet be signed or announced, regardless of the rumors. I donā€™t have a good feeling about it.

iā€™m willing to grant him the benefit of the doubt and just chalk it up to a poor decision in the moment.
it doesnā€™t mean he canā€™t manage a game-clock or call a miss-direction when needed.
or recruit!
just want him to be a solid adult.
still assuming he is.

Yes and no comment is for people who have something to hide. The cat was already out of the bag. I would prefer to hear his version of the truth than the rumors on social media. To me what he did was more mature than saying no comment. That statement is for politicians.

3 Likes

I second this. I have no problem with his answer. I think it showed that heā€™s a good guy as well as a good coach.

We owe a one-time buyout payment of $500,000, it is not annually recurring.

Additionally, we owe Lambert $515,000, but that will be lowered by any amount of money he earns during the next two years. I have a feeling that Lambert is employable, so that will help.

This bothers me a lot. Local media from fnz to the TV stations were reporting this as a done deal. I was pretty happy. Now I have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that this is going to unravel and weā€™re going to look like idiots and a national laughing stock.

1 Like

Yeah, sorta for me too

iā€™m really going beyond what i want to say here. but ā€œiā€™m focused on my next gameā€ is vastly different from ā€œno commentā€.
iā€™m not trying to trash houston. iā€™ll be happy when/if he arrives! just observing that discretion is the operative stance in these situations.
these things can get embarrassing for all parties unless handled with care.

2 Likes

I honestly dont see how this hinders us nearly as much as it would Houston if he doesnā€™t accept. You know for a fact Hill has tons of respect in the industry. To come out and say he offered in public, and then later turn it down would look terrible on Houston and other ADs would take serious note.

If we miss on Houston, the next coach we want, we will get. Hill knows what he is doing, this isnt going to be a shit show.

1 Like

agree. but it shouldnā€™t have gotten to this point.

That would have been better than no comment but I think it would be hard for him or his team to prepare and focus on their next game with a bunch of rumors swirling around. I can see why he felt like he needed to put the truth out in the open. Just my opinion and Iā€™m not saying anyone is wrong for thinking otherwise. I think we were all let down after some reports made it sound like a done deal. I appreciate his willingness to address an awkward situation. The real problem is media outlets who are so eager to break a story before they have all of the facts.

1 Like

Iā€™m surprised they havenā€™t created some sort of signing period for coaches. It sucked for Lambert we announced with one game to go, but we had to in order to not get beat to the punch. And now, you have a great up and coming coach in Houston who canā€™t just focus on getting his team another championship.

Iā€™d love to see a rule where no offers could be made until after the seasons have ended.

It is strange his name was leaked to the press. His favored team has a playoff game on the road this weekend. (Colgate was 9-1 this season, but won a weak Patriot League to secure a bid to the FCS playoffs.) Any rumors of him leaving JMU should have been squelched until their playoff run was over.

Houston would be a great hire. Heā€™s won at 3 schools in NC, SC, and VA. Winning at The Citadel is not easy. UNC-CH would have been better off in the long run with Houston than Mack Brown.