Coaching Rumors

If you listen to what he says, he likes charlotte, close to his parents, and emphasizes that point. I honestly think itā€™s done, and expect him to hand over to an assistant if they win Saturday. He just tried to calm the situation to get to Saturday.

If we donā€™t get him, someone else will.

Dude will not coach at JMU next season.

Iā€™d give him until JMU is done and screw the recruiting. Heā€™s more valuable than any recruit weā€™ve got coming in.

There is absolutely zero for Charlotte to gain from it being leaked.

2 Likes

I have no idea how or why this leaked, but it is just a difficult situation. Charlotte needs a coach, and it is in our best interest to get one on board sooner rather than later. JMU is involved in the playoffs and the Championship game isnā€™t until January 5th, so who knows how long they might keep playing. Houston is caught in the middle of wanting to finish what he started with his team, and wanting to start building Charlotte for next year. I am with @Agent49, it makes no sense for Charlotte to do something that would get us off to a bad start with our new coachā€“especially if he has not signed yet. The transition is just going to be a little messy, but in a month nobody will be talking about this.

2 Likes

Best case scenario, after the Colgate game he hands it off to an assistant. That gives them a full week of preparation if they win and if they lose heā€™s freed up anyway. I have zero insider information but I think (hope) this was the original plan before the leak.

The other candidates mentioned have a good chance of succeeding here, but Houston is the only one I know with near certainty will get us where we need to go. I really hope Hill has pulled this off, if he accepts by Sunday this incident will be quickly forgotten.

2 Likes

I hate this was leaked without credibility. Looks like he may be waiting now. I think he is also a candidate for App State if Satterfield were to leave (which I think is a strong possibility). Hope this works out in our favor

1 Like

ā€œif satterfield leavesā€ didnā€™t start as a possibility yesterday.

If they do get past Colgate, they travel to the FargoDome and take on the Bizzzzzon (thatā€™s how its said :face_vomiting:). I would doubt they pull off that upset. Houston would be available in 2 weeks minimum (IMHO).

1 Like

If it WAS leaked by a pissed off JMU booster it makes more senseā€¦sour grapes.
Wants to throw him under the bus and make it a difficult transition for him and NinerNation.

1 Like

clt is hearing satt to JMU

3 Likes

If he doesnā€™t finish out the season than that would be insaneā€¦ Even if he does confirm heā€™s taking the Charlotte job he should still Coach out the rest of the season

1 Like

I wonder who else Mike Hill offered the job too because if you listen to Houston he said he talked to him on Sunday and again on Tuesday. Well, Mike fired Brad a week before the end of the season so he could get on hiring a new jobā€¦ We will probably never know

We donā€™t know who, if anyone else, was offered. Could have spent that week interviewing multiple candidates, chasing down references, background checks, etc.

Things I believe:

• Houston is ready for a next step, and he needed a good opportunity to open up. He isnā€™t leaving JMU because of Charlotte, he is leaving because he is ready to.
  • For all the pluses we talk about (campus, city, airport, enrollment, potential), at the end of the day it is the relationship with the AD that will make the difference. Hill seems to have what it takes.
  • The pluses count too.
  • App doesnā€™t have the money to hire Houston. They barely have the money for where they are today with Satterfield. They certainly do not have the money to increase Houston each year.
  • For a coach that wants to be in the P5, taking over App and their annual 12-1 seasons gives only gives you a change to maintain or fail. Charlotte give you a chance to succeed. Much better job for the ambitious.
  • ECU has so many problems. No AD. Football is a cluster. Momentum is building to push the Chancellor out, but he will hire the AD before they do.
  • ECU probably lets the new AD decide what to do about Coach Mo, which probably means they keep him for another year because the time is now to make changes. --EDIT: I am at least half wrong. Mo is out, and now we see if the embattled Chancellor tries to find a coach, or waits for the AD. This actually could be worse than keeping Mo.
  • Coaching is a small world. You do not want to be the coachā€“or the ADā€“that screws people over, or reneges on a deal. A contract is required, but if your word is not your bond it will bite you in the end. If Houston and Hill shook on it, Houston will not shop our deal around.
  • Once this is a done deal, Hill needs to meet with Ric Elias. Now is the time.

What do you mean by the last bullet point referencing Ric Elias? For monetary reasons?

Because he loves sports and has a ton of money.

^ What he said. We were not ready to be embraced before now. Now is the time.

Reports out of Gā€™ville. Coach Mo is no mo.

Yeah, they still donā€™t have an AD named.