Coaching Rumors

But it isn’t done. What coach is taking a job without a named AD? And the Chancellor is soon to retire. Add in their budgetary issues, declining enrollment…

And I think jmu will let him coach as long as he can/wants this year.

1 Like

This early recruiting date is gonna throw a lot of these schools in the playoffs for a loop going forward. Schools aren’t going to wait through that date for coaches.

I hear ya but you know agents send AD’s all that information.

WCNC just reported ezu trying to snake Houston away from us after firing their coach. Can’t wait until this is over and we get the last laugh and a good coach.

Also it’s a program that ran off an 8 win coach.

1 Like

clt just searched “Charlotte football coach” on indeed.com

No longer listed

1 Like

No listing on AOL job search either.

Given that, Charlotte has started making contingencies in the event Houston spurns their offer, and a source says Austin Peay head coach Will Healy has drawn significant interest from the 49ers.

The 33-year-old just completed his third season as Austin Peay’s head coach. He shot to stardom in 2017 when leading Austin Peay, a program that was 1-45 in its previous four seasons and 14-87 in its last nine, to an 8-3 mark and the cusp of an FCS playoffs berth. The Governors went 5-6 in 2018.

No hell no! This has to be a troll’s idea of a joke.

I think we lost him.

The best evidence is what we’re making fun of ECU for. They just threw away $500,000 extra dollars by firing Scottie Mo 4 days early. No way in hell anyone is dumb enough to do that…unless they have a specific reason to.

The way I assume it went down…we had an agreement with Houston to coach here but he wouldn’t sign it until after the playoffs were done (maybe legit or maybe delay tactic). Houston’s agent starts making calls to tell other schools with interest what’s going on. ECU is interested. He tells them what they need to pay and if they want him they need to act quick. His agent leaks the Charlotte story to get it out for ECU and others to see. ECU agrees to the terms with Houston’s agent and immediately fire Scotty Mo because they know they have Houston locked up.

No other reason to just flush half a mil. You don’t throw away that much money…especially if you’re cash strapped…just to start a search early. You do it when you have no other choice if it means landing your top target.

Just makes sense.

Hope I’m wrong.

Sounds plausible. Hope you’re wrong too.

I think they need the permanent AD in place before they hire a head coach. They haven’t done that yet. Wouldn’t the new AD want to hire his own coach?

clt says Houston is wade.

Charlotte 49ers Withdraw Offer to Mike Houston

Director of Athletics Mike Hill issued the following statement today regarding the head football coaching search:

“Normally, I would not comment on an ongoing search. However, in light of recent public comments, I feel it’s important to update our supporters on the status of our interest in Mike Houston.

This morning we withdrew a contract offer that had been negotiated in good faith with Coach Houston and his representatives. This was based on the fact that last evening, Coach Houston informed us that he had interest in exploring other head coaching opportunities, while remaining under consideration here.

We feel great about our candidate pool and believe this institution, our students, fans and team deserve a head coach that is 100% committed to the Charlotte 49ers.

I am glad he pulled the offer before we got strung along further before being publicly rejected…but now we can kiss a tier 1 hire goodbye. We will be underwhelmed by the hire.

If we had 4-5 candidates as our tier 1 prospects…we certainly reached out to all of them to gauge interest. Those interested we were talking to and informed them we were not choosing them. So…we can’t go back to them now. Plus, any candidate interested now has to be okay that they are the backup plan to an FCS coach that turned us down for other options. That type of candidate okay with that…is not going to be a tier 1 type of prospect.

I guess what I’m saying is all of those early candidates that were all great options…are no longer options.

We lost more than Houston with this debacle…we lost Gattis, Day, Elliot, et al.

Again…hope I’m wrong.

We just lost out to ECU and their trainwreck of an athletic dept. I am glad we pulled the offer if he was not all in for us. He could have just made a bad move if the ECU deal does not work out since he has made lots of people at JMU mad at the way he handled this situation

This is so f***ing disappointing, since I agree with TRLeader and the assertion that we have lost out on most, if not all, our other tier-1 candidates. Hill used the line “negotiated in good faith” well, letting it be known they had reached a verbal agreement and that Houston and his peeps reneged on it. F the guy. He has to do what is best for him and his family, but doing anything in bad faith means you can suck on it.

2 Likes

Very disappointing to see it play out this way. I am also glad Hill pulled the offer at this point. Guessing Houston is headed to ECU. I hope we are able to get another good option and haven’t lost all our other good candidates. Whoever leaked it to begin with, rather it was JMU, someone at Charlotte, or Houston, really screwed us.

I’m glad he pulled the offer and I support Mike Hill 100%. We need a coach that Is totally committed to Charlotte 49ers football and I have faith Mike Hill will find us one

1 Like