Coaching Rumors

No doubt who leaked itā€¦Houstonā€™s agent. 100%ā€¦to get other offers like it happened. Thatā€™s how you play the gameā€¦get an offerā€¦dont sign itā€¦use it to find something better.

Houston & his agent never wanted the Charlotte jobā€¦it was always the first step in the process. Knowing they had more games to coach gave them the time needed and excuse for it to play out.

And hello to the tier 2 candidates

I agree too. This shows how his ambition dictates his decision making more than anything, so he would have been gone for anything better after being here a couple years. Iā€™d like to think we can still bring in someone to create a winning culture and moves on when something comes along heā€™d be crazy to pass up, not just the next school offering more money with a slightly higher profile.

Please read, ā€œin good faith.ā€ Houston gave Hill assurances that he would take the job. Otherwise Hill would not have canceled other interviews. My take, FWIW, Houston went back on his word. Tells me quite a bit about this coach and maybe he has been successful at every stop, but you canā€™t get too big for your britches just yet. Thatā€™s what happened here and it might cost Mike Houston more than heā€™s willing to admit.

3 Likes

Just stop stating things as if they are factsā€¦you know none of this, one way or the otherā€¦just like the rest of us.

2 Likes

How many expletives can we use on this thread?

1 Like

Good thing Judy is not the AD with this happening. There would be a
meltdown on this board - just sayin.

I guess Hill gets a Pass on this one.

1 Like

Pass or no pass comes down to who we do hire.

He does not get a pass. He got played.

1 Like

Agreedā€¦the eventual hire will speak volumes.

Butā€¦he does get a passā€¦ Based on what heā€™s already accomplished here (Sanchez, marketing, branding, etc) in his short tenureā€¦a hell of alot more than the last administration did in her last decade here.

And Iā€™m sure if ā€œcharacterā€ is his top priority in a coachā€¦a verbal and yet unsigned agreement is a good test of someoneā€™s character. The only problem with thatā€¦if said candidate fails the test, it leaves us holding the bag in a bad way.

IMO he gets a passā€¦but he still got played. Rookie mistake. Gotta learn from itā€¦painful lesson.

3 Likes

We are not Alabama, Texas, or even Florida or NC State. Weā€™re a great opportunity, but weā€™re not every coaches dream job.

Hill got played, but Iā€™m not sure how he could have handled it differently if they negotiated in good faith. Itā€™s customary in many lines of professional work (coaching too, Iā€™m sure) to allow a period of time to sign a contract following negotiations, and Iā€™m sure Hill gave Houston that. Maybe he put 3 days on the deadline. Or a week, to get JMU through the Colgate game. We will never know, but it sure seems like the coach may have taken that opportunity to shop around.

I canā€™t help feeling like the leak came from the Houston camp to flush out other coaching jobs, including ECU. In that regard, I canā€™t blame Hill. He placed his faith in a mans word who he was seeking a professional partnership and the man went back on it. It sucks, but itā€™s also apparent that had Houston shown us any success, heā€™d have been gone in 2-3 years, just like he was at Lenoir Rhyne, Citadel, and now JMU.

3 Likes

I had really high hopes for what Charlotte and Houston could accomplish together. I felt like the timing was right for us to leap over several established programs in the state. Thinking about it though, there are plenty of coaches that can turn us into a bowl eligible, fun to follow program, and that has really been my goal all along. Now donā€™t get me wrong, I still want to be better than all of the other G5 schools in the Carolinas, but we will get more chances because App, ECU, etc. will continuously change coaches, as will we. This is just our first time through the process, and it is strange that we are all looking for a new coach at the same time.

1 Like

Hereā€™s the fix so it doesnā€™t happen again. Have a winning program to pitch to the #1 candidate. Drastically increases our value prop.

Lets hope whoever comes in can make us a winner and when they go P5 in 3-5 years, weā€™re locked and loaded to snag our #1

Houstonā€™s interview was a bad signā€¦totally used us. Oh well Iā€™m not gonna lose sleep over it. Besides Houstonā€™s reputation is gonna take a hit. Mike Hill has to be really pissed. I think itā€™d be funny if it backfired on Houston down the road.

You guys act like Houston was a bonafide superstarā€¦heā€™s notā€¦Craig Bohl was far more successful at the FCS level and heā€™s been average at the FBS level. Iā€™m confident weā€™ll find the right guy.

1 Like

So now the recruit dominoes will start to fall. DAMN YOU, MIKE HOUSTON! YOU MFing SOB!

Hill absolutely does not get a pass. A pass for what? Itā€™s his job to hire a football coach. Whomever he hires and how they do says a lot about his success as an AD. This is just part of the process.

Whomever says he gets a pass, what exactly does that even mean?

It sucks but canā€™t blame someone going after $$$$. Hoping they fail is fair game however

Healy would be an embarrassing hire, and would kill the minimal support this program already has. I hope there isnā€™t any truth to that.

1 Like

My thoughts on 3 candidates already being mentioned. After the leak with Houston late in the game, you think Hill and Company are going to be content with guys being leaked out once this starts over? Hell naw.

Shit was beyond quiet before Feldmanā€™s tweet.