Coaching Rumors

I think that’s a great way of putting it.

Hiring Healey is banking on his recruiting success. I don’t know if that’s a good idea, but it’s why he might be an upgrade on Lambert (who is demonstrably not a good recruiter). Three years is tough to get a read on a coach, particularly when they are taking on such a monumental rebuild as was happening at Austin Peay (the previous coach went 1-34). He’s recruited two top-five recruiting classes to a program in that situation, that’s fairly impressive. I’d say the record from the good year and the record from this past year show the lack of consistency you often get early on in a complete rebuild.

I agree with those that think hiring Healey would be lackluster next to someone who’s had consistent success or is a big name. But he has some things going for him.

1 Like

I think some of you would pay good money for a punch in the dick

We could get Healy as a CEO type role for recruiting and give Spencer a raise and keep him a DC and go after an established OC.

Did we interview Healy before Houston? If so, I would imagine it’s not going to be Healy. Been way to pessimistic about 49ers athletics for too long, so I choose to be optimistic that Hill is patient and lands the right guy. For all we know, someone may present themselves that Hill didn’t even have on his radar.

The article said Healy was slated to be interviewed before Houston committed to take the job so when we shut down the search we never executed the interview.

Lambert never had a winning season on any level. The biggest loser contests should be reserved for fatasses losing weight on TV

I do hope we keep the DC

Okay but let’s keep it to football.

Okay. That gets me half of the way there. Why the big setback in year three when they were receiving a lot of votes to win the conference and picked overall to finish 2nd.

Young team and injuries

What were the injuries? That would make this more interesting. Not a lot of room for injuries in fcs.

I will say this about Healy: he may have something that could really sell this program to the local community.

When I first read about his expectation for players to be enthusiastic, to celebrate big plays, etc… I kind of rolled my eyes. BUT, since then I’ve been thinking about it. Not only is that kind of culture attractive to players, but it could create somewhat of an identity for us.

Think back to the Panthers 17-1 team a few years ago. Cam was fast and loose with his enthusiasm, and that spread to the rest of the team. Everybody not in the Carolinas hated him and hated the team for it… but we LOVED it. A lot of folks in this area who grew up Packers/Steelers/Patriots/etc fans adopted the Panthers then, and I think the team’s exuberance had a lot to do with it.

If he can come here and recruit like he has at AP (adjusted for level of play, of course), and build an identity locally as a team that has fun on the field and is fun to watch from the stands, that could be a strong asset for us trying to build support from within the broader Charlotte community.

2 Likes

I see your point, but its alot easier to buy into that when you are going undefeated in the NFL, not so much when coach forces it on you when you score a touchdown while already getting your teeth kicked in.

This is a good idea!

My one concern about Houston was no FBS experience at all… this Healy guy has a fraction of the experience… no thanks.

Healy is not the football HC hire I would expect after the basketball Sanchez hire. Healy is pretty much as risky of a realistic hire as you could make.

Cant find a full list but just looking through the season Stats the starting QB got hurt and came out of two games and the starting RB came out of a few and missed some games as well. They were both sophomores that Healy recruited.

I think you guys are really worried about nothing at this point. Let’s just let the process play out and see what Hill comes up with.

2 Likes

clt floats a local guy with SOME experience…Joe Gibbs