Coleman committs to Charlotte!

[QUOTE=metro;312623]amen

Mineshaft, I donā€™t want to blow you completely out of the water, but you really need need to get a grip on reality. Whether you like it or not, we are a one legged man in an asskicking contest. We have to get the major talents in a backdoor way (ie prep schools, juco, transfers, etc). If a kid is really athletic AND skilled with the ball, the ACC or SEC gets him every time. Think about how many BCS schools are within 250 miles from here (UNC, Duke, Wake, ST, USC, Clem, UGA, GT, VA, Vtech, UT. I havenā€™t even mentioned Davidson, Winthrop, or George Mason. Some of the best players weā€™ve had the past decade were from alternative sources: Diego, KP, Demon, Basden, Plav, Rodney. Its almost impossible for us to pick up a legit 4 year guy right out of HS. Withers was, Jobey, Leeā€¦there arenā€™t many. Wilderness has a real chance to be special in 2 years. We did sign Bowden who we stole from Va Tech.

donā€™t forget, we need a 2 gaurd in the WORST WAYā€¦unless you want Ian filling up minutes. There was nobody from our roster ready to step into mega minutes at the 2. Bowden and Coleman can do it.[/QUOTE]

REALITY CHECK! Well said. 4 yr top 100s arenā€™t exactly falling in our laps which is what we would need to compete with BCS schools and consistently make/advance in the tournament. We have to find high-major talent using other methods. Look at Memphis. Pretty much all of their guys came from prep schools. Theyā€™re loaded with talent.

And as you pointed out, we have a number of 4 yr players on the team now.

amen

Mineshaft, I donā€™t want to blow you completely out of the water, but you really need need to get a grip on reality. Whether you like it or not, we are a one legged man in an asskicking contest. We have to get the major talents in a backdoor way (ie prep schools, juco, transfers, etc). If a kid is really athletic AND skilled with the ball, the ACC or SEC gets him every time. Think about how many BCS schools are within 250 miles from here (UNC, Duke, Wake, ST, USC, Clem, UGA, GT, VA, Vtech, UT. I havenā€™t even mentioned Davidson, Winthrop, or George Mason. Some of the best players weā€™ve had the past decade were from alternative sources: Diego, KP, Demon, Basden, Plav, Rodney. Its almost impossible for us to pick up a legit 4 year guy right out of HS. Withers was, Jobey, Leeā€¦there arenā€™t many. Wilderness has a real chance to be special in 2 years. We did sign Bowden who we stole from Va Tech.

donā€™t forget, we need a 2 gaurd in the WORST WAYā€¦unless you want Ian filling up minutes. There was nobody from our roster ready to step into mega minutes at the 2. Bowden and Coleman can do it.

George Mason is a a bit further then 350, but we both dip into the DC pool at timesā€¦ aswell I do agree with you on your point. This school has to find alternate avenues into talent. When this school picked up 4 year guys back when Lutz began, the AAU circuit was no where the monster that it currently is, thus more guys fell through the cracks. There just isnā€™t much of a selection anymore.

[QUOTE=donkeyjaws;312619]Can anyone find a photo of this guy?[/QUOTE]

Heat right? I saw him on his unofficial visit for the Duquesne game. This is definitely him. :biggrin:

Great pickup. This will be 2 years of solid production. Kudos to Moxley for a job well done.

This will be 2 years of solid production.

Jumping the gun a little bit?

[QUOTE=metro;312623]amen

donā€™t forget, we need a 2 gaurd in the WORST WAYā€¦unless you want Ian filling up minutes. There was nobody from our roster ready to step into mega minutes at the 2. Bowden and Coleman can do it.[/QUOTE]

I would consider some of the other mentioned sources of alternative schools quite different from this one. Vanderbilt and prep schools are quite different from a NAIA school (where he had low stats) and a basketball academy. It just sounds like a weird path and our net gain is another 2 year player. Iā€™m not against JUCOS at all, Melvin did a great job of getting us in good spot with jucos (Colson, Shaw, KP, Young, Smith). I am just not getting so excited over a late signee from a really random source. I never thought we would get excited about landing an NAIA athlete.

I understand that other big schools were recruiting him, but I feel like I have read all of this before with other players, not to mention if those schools were definitely planning on offering. The bottom line is our recruiting class was severly hurt by Lutz not being extended until the offseason. Hopefully, I will be surprised, but signings like this donā€™t make me feel like we will be dancing anytime soon.

I would consider some of the other mentioned sources of alternative schools quite different from this one. Vanderbilt and prep schools are quite different from a NAIA school (where he had low stats) and a basketball academy. It just sounds like a weird path and our net gain is another 2 year player. [B]I'm not against JUCOS at all, Melvin did a great job of getting us in good spot with jucos (Colson, Shaw, KP, Young, Smith).[/B] I am just not getting so excited over a late signee from a really random source. I never thought we would get excited about landing an NAIA athlete.

I understand that other big schools were recruiting him, but I feel like I have read all of this before with other players, not to mention if those schools were definitely planning on offering. The bottom line is our recruiting class was severly hurt by Lutz not being extended until the offseason. Hopefully, I will be surprised, but signings like this donā€™t make me feel like we will be dancing anytime soon.

KP was not a juco!!!

Jumping the gun a little bit?

No, I donā€™t think so. Maybe if this guy was fresh out of high school, Iā€™d be jumping the gun. Thereā€™s no reason to doubt that Coleman couldnā€™t give us 10 a night. Since Moxley has returned, Iā€™d say weā€™ve had some success with 2-year guys like Mack, Coley and Gerrity whoā€™ve been immediately plugged into the system and have become solid parts of this basketball team. If he was a freshman, sure, Iā€™d expect a slow start (Gaby, Dewhurst, etc). But the man already knows how to play basketball. Weā€™re fortunate that our recruiting ties allowed us to reel this guy in over some pretty serious schools that we regularly loose recruits to. Coleman is a good addition to the 2007-2008 Charlotte basketball team.

I would consider some of the other mentioned sources of alternative schools quite different from this one. Vanderbilt and prep schools are quite different from a NAIA school (where he had low stats) and a basketball academy. It just sounds like a weird path and our net gain is another 2 year player. I'm not against JUCOS at all, Melvin did a great job of getting us in good spot with jucos (Colson, Shaw, KP, Young, Smith). I am just not getting so excited over a late signee from a really random source. I never thought we would get excited about landing an NAIA athlete.

Oklahoma State and GA Tech offered.

I would consider some of the other mentioned sources of alternative schools quite different from this one. Vanderbilt and prep schools are quite different from a NAIA school.

for the 15th timeā€¦he was 6-0 coming out of HS. He is now 6-5

[QUOTE=metro;312689]for the 15th timeā€¦he was 6-0 coming out of HS. He is now 6-5[/QUOTE]

QFT

No one is saying he is going to be an all-time Niner after he leaves, but I think itā€™s obvious that he is a good pick-up for Moxley and Lutz. I guess weā€™ll see if heā€™s worth the hype sometime in November.

Some of our best players of the past twenty years played somewhere else first. Sean Colson, Galen Young, Kelvin Price, Cam Stephens. These guys were also some of the funnest to watch. Colson is one of my favorite college pgs that Iā€™ve seen. Kissing that ball high off the backboard, breaking down Ds with dribble penetration. Anyway, Iā€™m no snob. I donā€™t care where they come from as long as they can play.

I don't care where they come from as long as they can play.

QFT! I loved watching Cam play, he was a beast down low.

I donā€™t remember getting a player in recent history with such a good resume of offers. That in and of itself is enough to peak my interest. I know many donā€™t pan out, but we often get hyped up over players that had offers from Wisconsin-Green Bay, Duquense, Kent St, etc. A guy having offers from the likes of Ok St and Georgia Tech is new territory as far as I know. Thatā€™s a good thing.

Now if only we could a big guy with such a resume. And I donā€™t care if theyā€™re two year or 4 year players. Like has been said, some of our best players were JUCOs/ 2 year(ers). But what other teams are trying to pin them down I believe says a LOT.

[QUOTE=plannerniner;312753]
Now if only we could a big guy with such a resume. And I donā€™t care if theyā€™re two year or 4 year players. Like has been said, some of our best players were JUCOs/ 2 year(ers). But what other teams are trying to pin them down I believe says a LOT.[/QUOTE]

Shamari Spearsā€¦

[QUOTE]Charlotte, Marquette, St. Johnā€™s, Rutgers, Boston College, Virginia, Maryland, and Wake Forest are all showing interest in 6ā€™6 Shamari Spears from Blairstown (Blair Academy) NJ. He currently also has offers from Virginia Tech, St. Johnā€™s, Villanova, Clemson and Georgia Tech.

He is from Salisbury, NC but plays at Blair Academy in NJ.[/QUOTE]

Shamari Spears...

Wow, I thought we were a little more locked in on this guy than that. Doesnā€™t appear as though we have even offered yet though.

I feel more comfortable about Coleman because he was able to put up good numbers against decent competition. To put up 40+ against Laurinburg is nothing to sneeze at. If Laurinburg was down in talent, then he did what he was supposed to do and put up over 40 points against them. If they still have very good talent then WOW, he put up 40+ points on [I]them[/I]. One article said he had quite a few high scoring outings, so it wasnā€™t a situation this time where he made is name off of one game, or one tournament. I expect him to give us at least 10pts a game. If he doesnā€™t, then he is a bust, but at least I can understand why we gave the guy a shot.

[QUOTE=49timesthelovin;312764]Wow, I thought we were a little more locked in on this guy than that. Doesnā€™t appear as though we have even offered yet though.[/QUOTE]
Thatā€™s a list of Spearsā€™ ā€œsuitorsā€ when he was in prep school prior to his commitment/signing with BC.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;312758]Shamari Spearsā€¦

Charlotte, Marquette, St. Johnā€™s, Rutgers, Boston College, Virginia, Maryland, and Wake Forest are all showing interest in 6ā€™6 Shamari Spears from Blairstown (Blair Academy) NJ. He currently also has offers from Virginia Tech, St. Johnā€™s, Villanova, Clemson and Georgia Tech.

He is from Salisbury, NC but plays at Blair Academy in NJ.

[/QUOTE]

Um, Leftyā€™s quote is from the original recruitment. That was when he was coming out of Blair. With two years of D1 under his belt I think it would be more appropriate to post who is looking at him now instead of back then. Obviously if he is already released from his scollie at BC they arenā€™t recruiting him.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;312758]Shamari Spearsā€¦[/QUOTE]

Have we gotten anything official on Shamari? Last I heard it was just we were ā€œlooking at him hardā€ and there was some interest. Definitely an improvement over what we usually get, butā€¦have we got him??? Eggs, hatched, etc?

I would consider some of the other mentioned sources of alternative schools quite different from this one. Vanderbilt and prep schools are quite different from a NAIA school (where he had low stats) and a basketball academy. It just sounds like a weird path and our net gain is another 2 year player. I'm not against JUCOS at all, Melvin did a great job of getting us in good spot with jucos (Colson, Shaw, KP, Young, Smith). I am just not getting so excited over a late signee from a really random source. I never thought we would get excited about landing an NAIA athlete.

Youā€™re wasting your time. They donā€™t get it.