College Football Playoff Expansion

The unfortunate thing by having the CFB placate to the SEC and specifically Alabama (by never having them move too many spots, no matter who they lose to), even if they lose to Georgia, they will most likely still stay in the top 4. That’s not happenstance, that’s on purposestance.

As long as money and influence controls college football, the system that we all loath and is obviously skewed will never change. The powerful will remain powerful and the rest of us will just have to, at best, strive for Conference Championships and a A$$.com Bowl.

Even if they change (placate) to 12 or something more than 4, there will be some stipulation that requires the teams outside of the top 4 to beat each other up in play-in games (as the top 4 rest up) and then have the CFB playoffs occur days after the play-in teams are beaten and bruised. Even if that is the case, it would still be nice to see the door open a bit, but let’s not fool ourselves; that door will be opened just enough for G5 teams to stick the neck through just so they can slam it shut.

1 Like

It will be the ESPN dream:

Alabama
Georgia
Ohio St.
Oregon

I hope they make sure there’s lots of lotion and tissue all over ESPN HQ to clean up with.

clt asks about the location of the ass.com bowl?

It’s hard for me to get too worked up about it. #1 it’s early and a lot can happen but more to me is if Cincy were in the SEC they’d have 3 or 4 losses by now imho.

People claim there is an SEC bias and there is, because it’s earned and justified. Hell WFU would be .500 at best in SEC, once again imho

The proposal for (12) included taking the (6) highest rated conference champs which would guarantee (1) G5 spot and a chance for (2) if there’s an upset in a P5 championship game.

That was before the SEC expanded - those plans got nixed. They won’t allow a non p-5 team in - EVER.

1 Like

It’s in the central area with very close proximity to the These Nuts Bowl :rofl:. They are all CUSA Bowls.

I like 12. Gives a bye to 4 teams and is 2 more weekends for football and beer drinking

Too would give a G5 a shot to win a game instead of getting matched up with the top seed.

1 Like

Hootie, you are awesome but that argument is horseshit.

First: until SEC teams start playing actual road games and risking their necks regularly (see Mississippi State losing @ Memphis), they can STFU about this garbage. Most G5 teams already play 1 more road game than SEC teams and it’s not like they can schedule these teams - the SEC won’t let them. So they can’t say “you’d lose if you had to play us” but then refuse to. UT is my 2nd team and that doesn’t change my opinion. I have talked to other UT fans and the ones with more than a 12 word vocabulary know what I am saying is true.

2nd, and an even bigger point, is that it’s a self perpetuating system. The bias in the system ensures that it keeps happening. Play 7 or 8 home games per season in heavily rigged situations (with ESPN ejaculating over your program on national TV for hours on end) and then claim superiority over programs you made jump through way more hoops, who then beat everyone on their schedule, is also horseshit.

There’s a reason these leagues want to become more insular and only play each other. It preserves the brand to never have it tested against G5 programs or even other lesser P5 leagues.

Horseshit. I’ve said that word a lot today. Sorry. It’s apropos.

7 Likes

You nailed that post NA.

Nah, the SEC is superior. Every year they are playing for the Natty and win it more than not. You can number me to death but I know what I see on Saturdays.

If I were an SEC team I’d play garbage outside the conf too. It’s hard as hell without having 3 other tough games.

Put others squads up against Alabama, Ole Miss, LSU, Auburn week in week out and I’d love to see what happened.

I would like to see what the SEC record in bowl games the last few years.

Just for clarification I’d love to see Cincy get in and beat Ala and UGA back to back to get a Natty. I’d also love for my company to retire me and give me a two million dollar severance. I think one has about as much chance of happening as the other……

You’re not getting it. The system is about control. The reason the SEC is superior is that there is a rope around the CFP and only select schools are let in, which funnels all the elite talent to about a dozen or so schools.

Here’s how I know I am right: college basketball. Though still heavily biased, there is still an access path for the non Power conference teams to get in. And what has that system produced? (The same system that admittedly does still screw 27 win mid major teams over in favor of some shitty “power” conference team that couldn’t get out of its own way 50% of the time…)

It has produced Butler in back to back national title games, and Gonzaga as a national power. Why? Because Mark Few can tell kids that they can come play in whatever godforsaken league Gonzaga plays in and still get a legit shot at the ring.

That doesn’t happen in college football.

Hootie, you are ultra focused on the way things are today, but if you opened up access to the CFP, then after a few years we would get the football equivalent of Gonzaga. All these programs that won out but didn’t get in would have been able to build their brand. Boise State, Utah (when they were MWC), UCF, Cincy, etc. Those programs would have gotten in, eventually won some games, and then built brands outside the Power 5.

And if you forced the power 5 programs to put their necks on the line at these G5’s stadiums on a regular basis, the law of averages would kick in and they’d start losing some of these games (chipping away at that supposed superiority), which would just accelerate the process.

You could accomplish that pretty quickly by switching to a computer only rankings model based on a formula that awarded road wins much higher than home wins. If that became the ticket to entry to the CFP, you’d fairly quickly see the SEC start to play actual road games… I mean, after they tried to re-rig the situation first.

Sure it’s rigged in their favor. I never denied that. If you’re saying it’s the haves vrs the have nots I 100% agree.

And I would further add, welcome to ‘Murcia!!! Lol

1 Like

Aristocracy, not Meritocracy. For sure.

If the case is to made that the P5 are just more superior, which I think is also BS, then let’s call it what it is. The CFB Champion is not the National College Football Champion; they are the P5 Champion (which there are many more non P5 teams than P5 teams - so take that for what it’s worth).

I’m all for that. There’s a reason Robbinsville plays in one division and Audrey Kell is in another…

They would very much like to do that, but at the same time, they need us to come play in their stadiums on their terms with their refs so they can still say that 75% of their programs are winners / bowl teams.

Which is why many of us think that if they ever did fully break away the natives would become restless as you can’t have 75% of your teams with winning records if you only play each other.

Short answer: Yes.

I like the “Prop 25” term - a team that was ranked simply to prop up a team like Alabama or Ohio State.

1 Like