College Football Playoff Expansion

Well, not to defend the SEC but the ACC and guys that voted against expanding the playoffs cut their own throats

4 Likes
1 Like

My guess is the 16 will be comprised of 8 from the Big Ten and 8 from the SEC. No soup for anyone else.

1 Like

16 team playoff way too many it should be 8 so it wont drag out

1 Like

I donโ€™t think 8 is enough but 16 is probably too many. P5 champs plus top 3 G5 conf champs and 4 at large. To me thatโ€™s about right. FCS manages 24 teams so 12 is def doable

1 Like

Itโ€™ll be interesting to see over time how often teams outside the top 4 ever win the championship.

No matter whether itโ€™s 12 or 16, the top level playoffs most likely end up being the exclusive domain of the P2. As such, G5 etc can forget any invites.

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1565084141577715713

As a reminder, this was the recommendation:

The proposal calls for the bracket each year to include the six highest-ranked conference champions, plus the six highest-ranked other teams as determined by the College Football Playoff selection committee. No conference would qualify automatically and there would be no limit on the number of participants from a conference.

The four highest-ranked conference champions would be seeded one through four and each would receive a first-round bye, while teams seeded five through 12 would play each other in the first round on the home field of the higher-ranked team. (The team ranked #5 would host #12; team #6 would meet team #11; team #7 would play team #10; and team #8 would meet #9.) Under the proposal, the quarterfinals and semifinals would be played in bowl games. The championship game would continue to be at a neutral site, as under the current format.

I think this is a pretty damn fair format overall. It doesnโ€™t promote as much parity as I dreamed about, but itโ€™s fair.

The key is it allows the highest 6 conference champions, not 5, not 2, but 6. That means G5 is included

5 Likes

I like it.
do it jewish GIF

1 Like

Maybe this is the news we have been waiting for. Now we can start winning!!!

2 Likes
1 Like

Itโ€™s on. 12 team playoff. Possibly coming as soon as 2024, but no later than 2026.

1 Like

I think this is a great model for G5 teams and college football fans.

1 Like

Itโ€™s good, but we need more G5 teams in. What that shows is that Cincy was the only G5 in even in a 12 team playoff.

To get more in we are going to have to get more ranked or the G5 auto Iโ€™d will just go to a team that may be good enough for the CFP or an at large.

The interesting thing will be if the PAC 12 is dissolved. That essentially means another G5 gets in.

Based on that alone I bet now that the PAc 12 survives. They get an autobid to the dance, and the remaining teams donโ€™t have to beat USC and UCLA to get it.

You do wonder how far the AAC is from the Pac 12 in terms of football. Their champion may not be the ranked better some years.