Covid and 2020-21 College sports

1 Like

This bodes ill. If high profile schools like Duke cancel, can others like us be far behind?

Will Duke’s men now cancel

Per this, no:

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Healy is in this one.

Iowa reportedly faces a $55 million deficit, Ohio State reportedly $107 million and Utah about $35 million, to name a few.

How???

According to an internal budget summary provided to cleveland.com via an open records request, Ohio State athletics brought in over $228 million in revenue for the 2019-20 fiscal year. That set a new high, topping the mark set the previous year by $18 million.Oct 1, 2020. Those revenues allowed OSU athletics to end that fiscal year with a profit of roughly $5.6 million. Ohio State’s internal report showed a budget deficit of over $600,000 for 2018-19. Athletic director Gene Smith said last winter that resulted from additional costs related to the investigation into former football assistant coach Zach Smith.

I don’t believe these numbers. I think there is some bullshit accounting going on. $228 million and you LOSE $107 million?

Another wave of conference realignment

The life cycles of realignment have long been attached to the impending expiration of television contracts. As conferences approach new deals, history has shown that adding universities translates to additional inventory and dollars. Will that still be the case in an age where media is increasingly more fragmented?

The Big Ten’s TV deal is set to expire after the 2022-23 season, the Pac-12’s after the 2023-24 season and the Big 12’s after the 2024-25 season. That means that the Big Ten begins dabbling in the television market as soon as this calendar year. If any of those leagues had interest in expanding, the exploration would have either already begun or will start soon

We have to be in our optimal position to appeal to other conferences for realignment. We have to stop making excuses.

What do we bring to the table? What will we bring in the near future?

We had better figure that out real quick. This could be our last shot at relevancy for a long long time.

Same thing we have brought for the last 20 years. Potential when it comes to athletics and a history of being successful in various sports. The problem is after 20 years and not getting there specifically in men’s basketball, it calls into question if the P word is a load of shit.

Now we have the academic profile that puts us ahead of many peers that are looking to move. Our financial model is stronger currently than many as well. We also invest in both football and basketball equally we aren’t a one horse show. The growth of the Charlotte market is also attractive and more so now that the ACC stranglehold has been weakened by so many folks from outside of the south moving in. Helps we have an AD that is now active and living in the Charlotte
Community vs thinking Harrisburg and Lake Norman were our market.

Judy once told me the #1 issue in moving up any higher was our name and that regardless of how other conferences view us they weren’t going to bring in a program that was viewed as a directional or hyphen campus. If we can get the name change done that takes that off the road blocklist. The stadium size can be addressed. The rest of our facilities are fine to move up - sure they can be improved but nothing that would be an issue.

I’ve said before I don’t think we need to be winning big in both football and basketball. We need either both solid or one at a high level. Of both are solid winning but not dominant that IMO is enough.

A-10 and CAA will play their respective league hoops tournaments at campus sites this season. Latter will take place at JMU, while former TBD.