Covid and 2020-21 College sports

I am in general agreement with you NWA. I think everyone expects G5 programs to be cyclical. Hire a new coach, he succeeds, then somebody else hires him away and we start all over. Our problem is we cannot seem to get that cycle kick started. Think about this, the last time we had a MBB/Baseball/Football coach hired away from us was in 1998. Melvin Watkins was poached by Texas A&M, and since then everybody has been fired except Hibbs, who took a step away from coaching. If Healy or Sanchez can get us winning I like the image we will project.

You talk about the Charlotte market being attractive, and while it doesn’t mean TV market in the sense that it used to, we are still a target area for businesses, families wanting good jobs, good lives, and of course sports. Few G5 programs can compete with us on this, and we must leverage that. The only people who think it doesn’t matter, or isn’t valuable, are small market programs that know demographic evolution is leaving them behind. Fun fact, the Charlotte metro area has a larger population than 16 US states. Over the next 20 years expect that to continue growing and eclipse five more states.

Hill says that he has hired coaches to win championships, and at least one of them needs to hit the target soon.

1 Like
1 Like

It would almost be “pulling a niner” to make the tournament this year; when fan support is at an all time low, no one will be able to even go to the game, and ratings may be lower than ever so no one even remember us breaking the ~15 year drought.

1 Like

Apparently the ACC didn’t set any minimums for hoops per number of scholarship players available etc! Wow!

This Mecklenburg County directive was extended until February 28th, so I guess we will not be able to attend anything on campus until after that. That sucks because this could prevent parents from attending their kid’s Senior Day for hoops. Maybe they can go see them play a road game…

https://emergency.uncc.edu/health-advisories/coronavirus-information/coronavirus-campus-updates

A bit more clarity about the BC situation. Sounds like Jim Christian doesn’t want to play with so few scholarship players but BC administration (not sure if that means athletic department or president) is saying FSU game will go on as scheduled. Hmm…

…or all our Seniors opt to play again next season.

1 Like

How ironic! :roll_eyes:

I’m thinking Chuck is mistaken here.

chappelle show lol GIF

Sad How I Met Your Mother GIF by Laff

maggie gyllenhaal relax GIF

What a moron. They cancelled two home games with us.

1 Like