Covid Vaccine Poll

This is the path. The only path.

This is usually my default position on life in general, but how do you solve for the problem of having more stupid people than hospital beds? I don’t want to go to the hospital for appendicitis, only to find out that the beds are full of tough guys whose natural immunity to all things failed them.

This has always been my issue is taking resources away from other people that are doing the right thing (ie getting vaccinated) Nurses and Doctors are better people than me but right now if you are 60 and over and refuse to get vaccinated then end in up in the hospital in a few weeks I would have to bite my tongue to not call them a dumbass…

1 Like

Really tough pill to swallow that we are all in this together. I just don’t think this virus, or anymore coming down the pike, care what any of our views on rugged individualism are. So that whole discussion seems pretty moot.

Actually came here to post the expected news that vaccinations are now officially available for anyone over 16 that wants one.

Will be interesting to see what happens now. I think we are going to have such a tepid response that we aren’t going to be able to get over the herd immunity finish line. But we will see.

CMC was NEVER close to capacity. There have been a handful of places in the nation that got over run but for the most part they haven’t even at the peak. The vaccine has penetrated the at risk crowd and the elderly fairly well. The majority of the folks that are vaccine resistant are likely in the group that will not need hospitalizations, but it is something we need to keep an eye on. Treatments have also gotten way better at not needing hospitalizations. If beds start being limited then limited locally restrictions should go back in and make it known that it is due to unvaccinated. Put this on them. Make it so the community is driving vaccinations. The issue is the people that won’t go get the vaccine so we need to create a climate that forces them to without requiring them to. As long as our set up is to protect those that won’t we are going to have this issue.

3 Likes

NWA hit it on the head, “The issue is the people that won’t go get the vaccine so we need to create a climate that forces them to without requiring them to. As long as our set up is to protect those that won’t we are going to have this issue”

Just like everything we have done with this pandemic it’s half assed, cases are going back up in the last month and our governors are still opening things back up… do we want to beat this or not… you can only tell someone to “wear, wait wash” for so long before they start tuning it out. If we really want to beat this make it so it’s painful to go places without a vaccine card… of course you will get some Karens that yell about “liberty” and “rights” and all that stuff, but just like “no shirt no service” they have the power… nobody has wanted to make hard choices… we have half assed it from the beginning. I don’t think we will ever get to herd immunity and like others have said if I’m vaccinated I’m not going to care what others do…

Why do you give a rip who doesn’t get the vaccine. Get the damned thing and you are protected. Wear your mask until you die and stay the hell away from people you don’t know. Simple. I have taken the vaccine because I wanted to. My wife has decided to not do so. That is her decision and her risk.

Less than 2 out of every 1000 people die from this virus so from an actuarial stand point it isn’t that deadly. As long as the R value stays under 1 it won’t grow.

So guess I am a “Karen” but I sure as hell don’t want people I don’t know and people I don’t trust, telling me what I have to do and not do if I know what’s good for me. And yes, I vote on the side of making ones own choice. Take care of yourself and leave others alone. And BTW - the death rate in the US is dropping precipitously. The sky is not falling.

1 Like

That never happened in the majority of the country. Were there hot spots, yes. But we never came close to outrunning capacity statewide or nationally.

1 Like

You are correct on the herd immunity but anothet problem is no one knows what “herd immunity” means. It’s a moving target that has yet been defined. There is no finish line.

This thread would be much shorter if you didn’t give two shits.

1 Like

Over half of U.S. adults have received at least one dose of the vaccine. That seems pretty good considering the vaccines haven’t been available to everyone until recently.

Last I heard herd immunity requires at least 70% for COVID, but you are right in that we don’t know for sure. I think for measles the % is closer to 95% so it’s probably somewhere between those two. I do know, and we don’t hear this much, that whatevef the % is, it includes kids. So, until kids are safe to be vaccinated I’m not sure we can reach herd immunity.

I am all for private business requiring cards if they so desire. I don’t think the govt has the right to put in those requirement though.

2 Likes

Well played.

Imagine if I only gave 1.

Right. But why didn’t that happen? Because most places had restrictions of some kind in place. So the question of when to lift them shouldn’t use a lack of hospital overrun as a reason to do so. We pushed some parts of the country to the limit too (e.g. Parts of Texas and South Dakota had to move patients in the height of their outbreaks).

Imagine what it would have looked like in those areas if we hadn’t had what turned out to be pretty effective measures at limiting the spread of viruses (the historically low flu season as evidence). Plus, the most common variant is now the British one that spreads more easily.

I just think we should wait a little bit longer until a higher proportion of the population is vaccinated (not just offered the vaccine, but actually has had both doses) before we remove too many of the restrictions that helped.

I think the problem is I don’t think we are going to see a huge uptick in people getting vaccinated until or unless the threat increases and as long as people are masked up and distancing with our rules the threat wont.

We should make people show their vaccine card to buy toilet paper. Problem solved.

1 Like

We’ve never all been in this together. Catchy phrase but was never true.

2 Likes

What Fauci doesn’t explicitly state, but others do, is that with about a quarter of Americans saying they might not want to be immunized, herd immunity is simply not an attainable goal.

That’s what I was concerned with a couple posts up. I think we are too factionalized to get to herd immunity via vaccination. We might get close.