Covid Vaccine Poll

Sadly, I agree with your assessments NWA.

The J&J shot thing was always a compromise. It was a means to an end. Still is IMO.

It’s better than unvaccinated, but it isn’t the same.

It was always stupid to tell people that were vaccinated to keep wearing masks and all the guidelines. It totally undercut the reason to get the shot in the first place. I know the whole thing was you may still spread it, but the reality is IF everyone got it then the fact you may still spread it is irrelevant for the most part. The message needed to be once vaccinated you will only need to wear the mask around immune compromised folks and those unable to get the shot that may be at risk. Those folks needed to take responsibility for themselves and stay away from folks until we had this thing more stomped out.

clt is getting the 3rd shot today

I think we all agree on this board that the fastest way to get the most people vaccinated would say from day 1 that once vaccinated a mask is no longer needed. That’s not what they did. So if the goal is as you say, they are extremely incompetent and hold no merit.

Once it became political and Biden wasn’t hitting his arbitrary numbers, the messaging changed. Overnight.

Just an observation.

The vaccine rollout was way ahead of schedule. They doubled the target quickly.

Impending doom I say. 6 weeks ago. If you are still listening to the CDC…

1 Like

It’s not political to wait until you have enough good data to make conclusions about the effectiveness of the vaccines in preventing transmission. One of the biggest criticisms I’ve seen made on this board is of the shifting recommendations once we had better data. If they had said masks weren’t needed after one study suggested so, and then additional studies came out saying transmission was still likely even with vaccinations, then the same people would be criticizing them for shifting recommendations (especially if they had to go back and say that actually we do still need masks). Now we see criticisms for them being too cautious? How do you reconcile those two lines of attack?

I still think they’re jumping the gun on this, due to how many people are likely to lie about being vaccinated and how many people still aren’t fully vaccinated. Still plenty enough to see a dangerous surge in cases if people relax too much, especially with the variants now common that have higher transmission rates (this is half the story of the disaster in India). But hopefully enough people will get vaccinated to blunt a future surge.

6 weeks ago it was impending doom. So what significant change scientifically has happened in 6 weeks to go from impending doom to no mask required if you’re vaccinated?

1 Like

I am fully vaccinated so I feel I should be able to go without a mask. If others are not going to get the vaccine then it is not for me to watch out for them. Everyone makes life decisions and if people decide not to get the vaccine then it is their choice which I will not question.

1 Like

I think you may be partly correct with surge in cases, but the challenge is the folks that have not been vaccinated at this point are likely to not get vaccinated at all. Which means you are waiting for something that isn’t going to happen. The majority of the at risk population has been vaccinated so that should keep hospitalizations down. The only thing that is going to push the antivaxxers to get the shot is increased risk and as long as everyone is protecting them the risk isn’t as high as it needs to be to drive them to action. I get the variant concerned, but we have to call the ball on this.

clt just burned all masks!

CNBC: New CDC mask guidance may spur more Americans to get Covid vaccine, says Dr. Scott Gottlieb.

Pretty much what I expected the play was. The only reason to be so aggressive.

We will see if it’s effective. I don’t have much faith in people though. I think NWA is right.

Masks still need to be worn at businesses that require them, the CDC said, as well as on airplanes and public transportation.

Nevertheless, the public health agency’s relaxed stance is a major development in America’s efforts to fight the coronavirus. It comes as 36% of the U.S. population has been fully vaccinated against Covid, per CDC data. About 47% of Americans have received at least one Covid vaccine dose.

Only 47% with even one dose and only 36% with 2 doses.

Mrs Nugget just got home from volunteering at a drive-through vaccination event at the Cabarrus Arena & Event Center. Set up to handle large crowds, this is the final one they will do there. They had 300 people show up in 5 hours. She worked one in Gaston County a month ago and they had 1200 people. No question that non-vaccinated people feel like this is over.

One of my wife’s HS friends just texted her that “Covid is over”, and that she “doesn’t have to wear a mask anymore”.

She is unvaccinated. 5Gs or whatever.

She is a waitress at a local dine in / non chain restaurant.

Get ready for loads of people like her to keep me from being able to to attend a Football game this fall. Ticks me off.

This is the guidance chart that CDC published with the relaxed rules. The problem is the left side of the chart.

Why would you not attend if you have the vaccine? You are roughly 93% protected and data shows if you do catch the virus that it should be a mild case.

Won’t be my choice if additional outbreaks and variants cause the Governor to have to close events down again this fall / winter.

This situation reminds me of this…

Fumbling at the goal line.

I really really want life to be back to normal this fall. I’m so ready for it. Already bought tickets to lots of events. And counting down the days til some of them.

At a Nascar race? Man, I’d wager every dollar I have that less than 30% of people going to a nascar race are vaccinated.

1 Like

We aren’t shutting things down again.

People are tired of this shit and politicians shutting things down again would simply be political suicide.