Covid Vaccine Poll

We will see if you are right NN. I don’t think any Governor will shut down the economy, but it wouldn’t surprise me if a sharp outbreak resulted in limited attendance or closed to the public sporting events, movie theaters, and concerts again.

Damn I hope not. I seriously already have 2 sets of concert tickets & multiple sports tickets already purchased. I also have some movie premiere dates circled. My kids are signed up for extracurricular activities, etc.

I don’t want selfish people like waitress moron to F this up for me and my family. We did our part.

Calling it now is different than calling it soon after vaccines became available to everyone, which is what it sounds like others in this thread are suggesting the CDC should have done.

Not everyone that hasn’t been vaccinated yet is due to “hesitancy”, there’s also kids just now having the ability to get one and there are still people that have been waiting for the opportunity in some parts of the country where there’s less resistance to vaccines that are just now getting it. You do make a good point about the higher percentages of elderly who have been vaccinated. That will help keep hospitalizations down if/when we do see another surge. Hopefully this and what appears to be softening of the resistance to the vaccine (showing up in slight changes in the polling on it) will help prevent a Fall and winter outbreak. I also think the high schools and colleges will require vaccination for the Fall, which will add to the percentage vaccinated.

It might make sense to shift to shipping vaccines to South America and south Asia to hopefully limit risks of new variants that undermine all these gains.

The governor’s announcement is getting a lot of people talking again. Chatter at my oldest’s H.S. is that vaccinations will likely be required to play fall sports. Sounds like middle school may also require them.

Whatever works. Dangle the carrots. The more people moving from the left column to right side column on the CDC chart, the better.

1 Like

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/13/upshot/epidemiologists-coronavirus-masks.html

This is a gamble by the CDC to push vaccination drive.

If you have to keep wearing a mask it totally undercuts the justification for getting the shot - simple as that. The early data wasn’t clear if you could still carry it or not so for awhile I get the need to keep wearing masks, but it should have been clear that once we hit a threshold - IMO 25-30% or so with one shot and we saw cases drop then the masks should have been dropped. Both to encourage vaccines and to create a certain amount of fear to drive the rest. At a certain point the policy needs to flip from we all protect everyone to you have to protect yourself. Now admittedly I have been on that side of things for awhile. I have had no issue with those that wanted to stay at home through all this, but at some point those people need to take responsibility for their own health and it isn’t up to me.

As long as hospitalizations stay manageable then there is no reason to shut anything down again. With the vaccines plus better treatment we should be fine. Old people and compromised folks have the vaccine, its been widely available to the majority of the country for over a month and vaccine sites are shutting down due to no one showing up. If you haven’t got it yet - I just don’t see you rushing out unless you see a spike in your community that is hitting unvaccinated people.

I also will not get either of my children vaccinated. Kids have never been an issue with this from a data point of view. I am willing to roll the dice on me but we still have NO idea the 20-25 year long term impact this vaccine might create. Until they are threatened, the vaccine isn’t hitting their arms. The fact that the government might require vaccine in kids is what gives the antivaxxer community power. Why?

Those folks are basically advocating wearing masks forever though. 26% say forever in certain situations. 3/4 of them describe themselves as risk averse.

Again the biggest issue isn’t the vaccinated not wearing masks. It is the unvaccinated and maintaining masks doesnt help that situation. Especially for those with the double shot the statistics just dont show you need to worry. I liked this line: “It is either you trust the vaccine, or you do not,” said Kristin Harrington, an epidemiology Ph.D. student at Emory. “And if we trust the vaccine, that means an unlimited number of vaccinated individuals should be allowed to gather together.”

If the vaccine is doing what it should, and by all account the moderna and pfizer are, then there is no reason to expect those individuals to bear the responsibility to protect the rest of society - especially since the rest of society that hasn’t gotten the vaccine are those less likely to die or have serious complications.

I also am a bit more hard core with this - if you have heart disease or diabetes or asthma and you are siding with the antivax crowd, then good luck buddy. Live and learn or die - thats your call.

The risk averse piece keeps coming up it did last spring and summer and here it is now - on each side.

Exactly NWA. Every word.
And yes…requiring kids to vax is where I start to get livid.

Saw this quote and it speaks to me on this 10000%.

"My child’s arm will never be injected with an experimental vaccine against a non life-threatening virus—most especially when the vaccine makers are removed from liability.

But to each their own."

1 Like

I wonder about liability with something like this

“Chicago’s top doctor said earlier this month that the city’s rate of infection post-vaccination was low, with 0.06% of fully vaccinated people contracting the virus.”

I know, I know…zero

Every vaccine is experimental by this definition. These vaccines are being tested before approval, and would be regularly approved prior to mandates. If you really want to base it on data, then the safety of the vaccines so far as known from testing (in adults and older children) is beyond the risk of children getting covid and dying or having long-term illness. So why the concern about children getting the vaccine? Watch out for the anti-vax propaganda, it’s pernicious.

I explained the concern regarding children. If you didn’t comprehend it…I’ll try again. Children rarely get it, carry it or spread it and the flu is more deadly to them. No need to inject an experimental vaccine that certainly has no long term studies of whether it causes harm or not. It is experimental…its why it’s still being used under Emergency Use.

Maybe the propaganda you’re listening to is what’s misleading and careless.

What is an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA)?

An Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) is a mechanism to facilitate the availability and use of medical countermeasures, including vaccines, during public health emergencies, such as the current COVID-19 pandemic. Under an EUA, FDA may allow the use of unapproved medical products, or unapproved uses of approved medical products in an emergency to diagnose, treat, or prevent serious or life-threatening diseases or conditions when certain statutory criteria have been met, including that there are no adequate, approved, and available alternatives. Taking into consideration input from the FDA, manufacturers decide whether and when to submit an EUA request to FDA.

Once submitted, FDA will evaluate an EUA request and determine whether the relevant statutory criteria are met, taking into account the totality of the scientific evidence about the vaccine that is available to FDA.

1 Like

There is no way we know the long term impacts of the vaccine because enough time hasn’t gone by for us to know. For adults that may die from it? Sure roll the dice. At 48 I felt like it was worth it for me. If I was I was in my 20s, not sure if I would get it all. If children were in the cross hairs of this thing then by all means, but since children have neither been spreaders nor victims of this in any large data set then why expose them to something they don’t really need? It isn’t antivaxxer as much as just not knowing what the vaccine may do later in life - because it is impossible for science to tell us that at this point. It really is weighing the risk of the virus vs the unknown of the vaccine. The younger you are the less risk of the virus and the heavier the unknown of the vaccine weighs.

2 Likes

You can use the very same logic for long term impacts of getting covid. Seems the same to me. How is it different?

There is a vaccine?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-11/doctors-watch-warily-as-severe-covid-infections-target-kids

https://www.aappublications.org/news/2021/04/19/pediatric-covid-cases-041921

Clearing up the misconception that kids cannot get Covid. Also seeing more severe cases in children.

On Monday, the AAP said children represented 22.4% of new cases reported in the past week, accounting for 71,649 out of 319,601 cases. The latest report, drawn from data collected through April 29, illustrates how children’s share of coronavirus infections has grown in recent weeks.

I understand the risk / benefit analysis, but let’s be more accurate about this side of things.

Also, kids are germ factories / incubators. My wife is a preschool teacher so I am highly sensitive to it. She brings home all kinds of crap those little booger eaters incubate inside them. The risk / benefit analysis needs to at least consider their role as disease vectors including variant generators.

I’m pretty sure I comprehended fine. Strange that we’re still talking about this, huh?

No one can mandate a vaccine under emergency use authorization. But they are going to be applying for full FDA approval soon. After that, it’s not really much different from other vaccines already approved. If it gets regular approval, does that change things?