Curtis Withers Pre-Draft Camp

...He still does not have the jump shot, handles, defense or offensive moves to be a solid NBA prospect at his position...so don't expect even a 2nd round draft selection.

He can be a rebounding machine for someone who needs it but his all around game is WELL short of NBA standards at his position.

Doesnā€™t surprise me at all about Curtā€™s draft stock. Iā€™ve been saying it since the season ended. Curt simply does not have NBA skills for his sizeā€¦outside of his rebounding.

Disappointing but true.

CBS ranks the SFā€¦for what its worthā€¦

not much considering the blurb they wrote about Withersā€¦did I miss this ACL injury?

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/draft/prospectrankings/SF

haha, he sure did miss all of last season. who knows what he was talking about

and there are even potential gems off the radar, such as Charlotte's Withers, who was one of the best players at his position before missing all of last season due to an ACL injury

I smiled in the early part of that statement. I became confused as hell towards the end.

He must have meant Curtis Sumpter at Villanova?

Maybe they were talking about Steve Smith of LaSalle from 2 years agoā€¦?

According to a one-liner in the Observer this morning, Curt has been invited to the NBA Pre-draft camp in Orlando June 6-10.

WHOOOO! Awesome.

I was beginning to feel he wouldnā€™t get to go.

The latest mock draft I saw had he, Eric Williams(surprise) and Steven Smith as not being drafted and were part of the ā€œSix not takenā€ list.

Here is a look at the team-by-team breakdowns for the Orlando camp: [B]Team 1:[/B] Dials, Farmar, Horton, Jones, McCray, Mensah-Bonsu, Millsap, Noel, Novak, Ray
[B]Team 2:[/B] Adeleke, Batista, Bowman, D. Brown, Hicks, Jones, Krauser, Mitchell, Washington, E. Williams
[B]Team 3:[/B] Anderson, Augustine, Grunfeld, Haryasz, Keyru, Killingsworth, Shakur, S. Smith, J. Tucker, Watson, J, Williams
[B]Team 4:[/B] Balkman, Blalock, Buckman, Dean, Hill, McNamara, Miller, Pinnock, Slaughter, Southall, Stinson
[B]Team 5:[/B] Clark, Francis, Gibson, Kinsey, Newley, Powe, Quinn, Robinson, Schilb, C. Smith, Vouyoukas
[B]Team 6:[/B] Almond, Amundson, B. Brown, Caner-Medley, Dockery, George, Gray, Karl, Nicholson, P.J. Tucker, [B][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkgreen]Withers[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Similar to Eddieā€™s situation, I think that Curt would actually be better off not getting picked in Rd. 2. He could go to a team that really needed some rebounding and sign in a better position.

Three, has he actually practiced with his team yet? Do you have a site that I could go on and see how heā€™s doing?

http://www.draftexpress.com/

Most complete coverage of all of this stuff.

Iā€™m hoping Orlando calls Withers if he goes undrafted, it seems like it would be a great fit with the players they have right now.

Rick Bonnell will be in Orlando covering the camp. Withers on the tentative list of stories to do, along with Balkman (probably a first-round pick, amazingly) and Simmons. At the least, youā€™ll be able to find out how heā€™s doing. He does have one NBA skill ā€“ rebounding ā€“ that might get him drafted in round 2. I agree with Allie, though. He might be better off as a free agent.

curt needs to regain his aggressiveness or he is screwed IMHO.

He does have one NBA skill -- rebounding -- that might get him drafted in round 2.

Youā€™re rightā€¦he has only ONE skill that is NBA readyā€¦rebounding.

I donā€™t think that will be enough to get him drafted at all. Heā€™s going to make a lot of money in Europe.

You're right....he has only ONE skill that is NBA ready...rebounding.

I donā€™t think that will be enough to get him drafted at all. Heā€™s going to make a lot of money in Europe.

KTown ever heard of a guy named Ben wallace no offensive skill what so ever horrible free throw shooter but can Rebound like no-one else. Curt has more offensive skills than Ben and Ben is only an inch taller. Same build and everything.

Same build and everything.
[IMG]http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/nba/2003/1205/photo/a_magloire_i.jpg[/IMG]

Curtis Withers

Proā€™s

Strength
Rebounding
Athleticism

Conā€™s

Turnover prone
Tweener
Consistency

Withers has an NBA ready body and has a junkyard mentality with the strength to get his shot up through contact. Needs to work on finishing as well as consistently hitting his jump shot. He turns the ball over and lacks the range to play the 3, however is an inch or two short to play the 4.

Malik Rose or DeMarco? Itā€™s really hard to say with Curt. Since our other big guys sucked so bad last season, teams were easily able to triple team on Curt. Hard to get much going when that happens. Who knows how heā€™ll do in straight up man situations and not being the main focus. He held his own on the USA teams the past couple of summers. Letā€™s hope he blows it up in PDC!