Daily musings and oddities šŸ—“ļø

Thatā€™s hard to believe. Even harder to believe, that if true, Tiger turned it down.

Itā€™s probably a little easier to turn down when youā€™re already worth a billionā€¦

1 Like

https://ui.charlotte.edu/story/try-ā€˜bucket-doomā€™-eliminate-mosquitoes-without-harmful-pesticides

1 Like

ā€œIn a year that has been so improbable, the impossible has happenedā€
-Vin Scully on Kirk Gibsonā€™s iconic 1988 World Series home run.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s the third one. Bummer. Loved his calls.

Definitely dating myself here, but Eastland was big time in the 70s and 80sā€¦ Tapered off in the late 90s and dropped dead by the end of the aughts. Not that malls are big anymore, but the idea that SouthPark mall was the big winner / survivor of that era seems so weird based on how popular Eastland was. SP was almost just down the street from our house growing up, but my parents would drive all the way to Eastland instead because it was a much bigger dealā€¦ It was the king of the scene when malls were in their glory days.

The ice skating rink in the center was the only one Iā€™ve ever personally seen in a mall. It was bigger than South Park, so it had a greater variety of stores, had an arcade, huge food court, multiple book / record / etc stores, a movie theater (where I know I saw some big 80s movies), and every one of the big anchor stores. Also, it was loaded with teenagers so the eye candy when you were that age was really good. During the holidays, they would go all out and the entire place would be lit up like a holiday movie set. It was pretty much everything in a hangout place that a teenager could want. Feels weird saying this now - I used to really like going there. Definitely a destination.

I always liked that sun logo. It seemed (weirdly) exotic. I thought it was like Aztec or Mayan when I first saw it.

But it was located in an older neighborhood that decayed over the decades, and so shoppers moved to SouthPark and Carolina Place (opened 1991), and then later to Concord Mills when it opened (9/9/99). Crime rate increased and then the anchors all started moving out. Kiss of death. It was not an era people will cherish, but it is kind of weird to see something so central to residents of Charlotteā€™s day to day lives vanish from existence and probably be completely forgotten over the next 20 or so years. Probably even now very few people around here remember it existed, with all the young transplants who came in after it had closed and never went over there.

RIP. 7/30/75 - 6/30/10.

Times, theyā€™re a changinā€™.

Anyone else on here have fond memories of the place?

2 Likes

Even though I grew up in Belmont Eastland was a big deal. Trips to ice skating was a blast and just the massiveness of the place was so impressive. Always asked to go there vs SP. Hard to recall but for those of us that went to Charlotte in the early 90s this was the mall we went to. I remember trips there with other freshman friends - some not from Charlotte area and how blown away they were. It had a pretty short shelf life as a Charlotte icon but in that short life it made a big impact. Not all that much unlike epicenter.

2 Likes

clt says in the later 90ā€™s, you went to southpark.

Too lazy to drive to Hanes Mall?

My best day there was when I went to see Dorothy Hamill skate. I had a huge crush on her and got to take some pix of her performance at ice level and shake her hand. :heart_eyes: Iā€™ll post a pic I took once I find it.

2 Likes

Pfftā€¦ Hanes Mall.

Alicia Silverstone Cher Horowitz GIF by Clueless

:rofl:

Really cant adequately convey how much of the ā€œplace to beā€ atmosphere Eastland had in its heyday. Like MTV or the Hive on Tyvola in the late 80s, Eastland was where itā€™s at.

1 Like

I think they are just trying to save face

2 Likes

clt says the NFL is one step ahead. Have the 3rd party make a ruling, gauge public opinion and then respond.

Hereā€™s the Dorothy Hamill pic I took.

1 Like

This! Mid 80s especially was the heyday for Eastland. Me and my buddies used to go there almost every weekend for hours and it seemed like 90% of the teenagers in the region did the same. Met SOOOO many girls there between ~1983-1987.

Black Friday Reaction GIF