Dayton Post Game

Really?

Bad news Ken if you kick off everyone smoking weed in D1 then you will not have enough teams to hold a 16 team NCAA tourney I would imagine.

How does it help recruiting? How many High School BB players are also smoking weed. It might be a sad or distasteful reality to you but that is the world we live in today.

Are you freaking kidding me? I don’t want players who have been arrested for assault with a deadly weapon or something, but smoking weed, DWI, come on, that s*** happens in college. I want to win, I don’t want bad people making up our bball team, but if they get in trouble for the kind of stuff college kids do, no, I don’t think they should be off the team.

I have plenty of friends who are doctors, lawyers, and PhDs who smoke weed, and a few of them have DWIs. I mean really, give me a break.

(P.S. - I’m only throwing in DWI with this b/c alcohol is legal, unlike weed.)
(P.P.S. - I don’t smoke weed)[/quote]

I understand that smoking weed isn’t that big of a deal. My stance on this is it is against the law - like it or not. I prefer not to see our players arrested - for anything. They are getting a free education and all they have to do is go to class, play ball and keep their nose clean. I understand mistakes happen, but anytime a player that dons the green and white gets in trouble with the law, no matter if you agree with the law or not or if it is a normal for college kids it is not a happy day for me.

A one game suspension for a first offense is fine. Learn from your mistakes that is all I ask.

He doesn’t need to be kicked off but the fact remains it is illegal. No matter how much we think it is stupid and everyone does it, that doesn’t make it right. Also, image of the school plays a part too. There is rare coverage in this area about the school in general but I am sure this will get out into the paper and other media. When you are trying to rebuild you can’t continue to have off the court problems. His actions not only affect the team, but the school as a whole. I know this is a petty crime and is not a huge deal. I am just bringing up that crime with athletic programs is bigger than just the team the player was involved with.

Even with the shady players Lutz recruited (Los Turnovers, etc), I can’t remember any being arrested… at least while I watched the team.

Mayfield was Major’s first recruit.

[/quote]

Haha

[quote=“eason49, post:45, topic:26367”]Even with the shady players Lutz recruited (Los Turnovers, etc), I can’t remember any being arrested… at least while I watched the team.

Mayfield was Major’s first recruit.[/quote]

Lutz had a ton of players that loved them some weed. Hell I am pretty sure Cam played high a few times. They were just better at not getting caught.

[quote=“eason49, post:45, topic:26367”]Even with the shady players Lutz recruited (Los Turnovers, etc), I can’t remember any being arrested… at least while I watched the team.

http://www.hoopsvibe.com/features/articles/39563-charlottes-withers-faces-dwi-charges

Charlotte, NC (Sports Network) - University of Charlotte basketball star Curtis Withers will have his situation reviewed by the school after getting charged with driving under the influence this past weekend. Withers was detained by university police on Sunday night and found to be under the influence of alcohol. He was also charged with two related traffic offenses, including a hit and run that produced some property damage. The university will decide what action to take prior to Wednesday's game at Houston.

You either have poor memory or haven’t followed our b-ball program long.

[quote=“sokool, post:29, topic:26367”]I never said their situations were the same…but i’m sure its hard for you to read with those MAJOR GREEN KOOLAID GLASSES on.

Spears broke a team rule (3gm suspension) Mayfield broke the law.(1gm suspension) Yes theres a MAJOR difference.

“We GANGSTAZ OVER HERE IN 2012”[/quote]

What’s your 49er club ranking again?

Withers had at least 1 DWI. Demon Brown ring a bell?

Every time we had a player suspended for the first game of the season, guess what it was for? Failed drug test.

This is nothing new unfortunately. It sucks, especially the timing, but to be ignorant to the fact that college kids are smoking weed is just out of touch with reality.

Dude Demon and Withers were both arrested within like a year of each other.

Nash tried to sell me a dime bag one day at a carwash in the university area. I’m guessing Lutz players never drank underage or stayed out past curfew either.

This thread, like most others are pure comedy.

Someone should call TCU’s AD and see how much they would like to trade spots right.

[quote=“Chisox17, post:52, topic:26367”][quote=“eason49, post:45, topic:26367”]Even with the shady players Lutz recruited (Los Turnovers, etc), I can’t remember any being arrested… at least while I watched the team.

Dude Demon and Withers were both arrested within like a year of each other.[/quote]

Yep, and Spears was suspended under Lutz for failing a drug test. When Major suspended him it was like his third offense. Then he added being a punk on top of it and deserved to be shown the door.

This is one of the times I wish moderators could put someone on ignore. I’d have soFool on there in a heart beat.

[/quote]

:)) :)) :))

[quote=“MKNiner, post:55, topic:26367”][quote=“Chisox17, post:52, topic:26367”][quote=“eason49, post:45, topic:26367”]Even with the shady players Lutz recruited (Los Turnovers, etc), I can’t remember any being arrested… at least while I watched the team.

Dude Demon and Withers were both arrested within like a year of each other.[/quote]

Yep, and Spears was suspended under Lutz for failing a drug test. When Major suspended him it was like his third offense. Then he added being a punk on top of it and deserved to be shown the door.

This is one of the times I wish moderators could put someone on ignore. I’d have soFool on there in a heart beat.[/quote]

But you can, though.

You have the power of the ultimate ignore… if you ignore him, so does everybody else.

Nobody would fault you for it…

[quote=“Chisox17, post:52, topic:26367”][quote=“eason49, post:45, topic:26367”]Even with the shady players Lutz recruited (Los Turnovers, etc), I can’t remember any being arrested… at least while I watched the team.

Yes, they were and suspended as well…but I thought Major was bringing in a “different kind of kid”, not the “thugs” like Bobby. ::slight_smile:

A suspension may be better than a ban, ken49er. You can use playing time & getting back in the Coaches good graces as an incentive to not do the bad things. Kick the man out all together, & what influence do you have anymore?

Make a mistake, & you’re a thug. I’m shocked by the judgementalness & lack of forgiveness of this board. Jesus would tell Mayfield to go & sin no more. Jesus wouldn’t throw Mayfield under the bus like you guys are doing. Maybe some of y’all should try love in your heart. I know I make some jokes on this board, but damn, I don’t hate people like some seem to do.

[quote=“919R, post:58, topic:26367”][quote=“Chisox17, post:52, topic:26367”][quote=“eason49, post:45, topic:26367”]Even with the shady players Lutz recruited (Los Turnovers, etc), I can’t remember any being arrested… at least while I watched the team.

Yes, they were and suspended as well…but I thought Major was bringing in a “different kind of kid”, not the “thugs” like Bobby. ::)[/quote]

Didn’t know marijuana made you a thug.