DeMario Mayfield 6-4 SG UGA transfer

? ? ? While I love green tinted glasses, I’d say the programs are more comparable than you think. Over the past 10 seasons they’ve finished higher in the final RPI 5 times, we’ve finished higher 5 times. This season when they were 14-17, they beat St Louis, Illinois, GT, Florida, Vanderbilt and Tenn.

? ? ? While I love green tinted glasses, I’d say the programs are more comparable than you think. Over the past 10 seasons they’ve finished higher in the final RPI 5 times, we’ve finished higher 5 times. This season when they were 14-17, they beat St Louis, Illinois, GT, Florida, Vanderbilt and Tenn.[/quote]
definitly not green tinted. they arent a good program. they made the tournament once in recent memory and that was because they won the conference tournament.

I like his size and I like what I read about him from high school. I hope his lack of play last year wasn’t a reflection on his inability to adjust to the college game. I’m not going to get too excited about him and proclaim him to be a great sign for us, but I’ll give him a fair shot before saying he was a bad pick up for a coaching staff signing their first recruit.

? ? ? While I love green tinted glasses, I’d say the programs are more comparable than you think. Over the past 10 seasons they’ve finished higher in the final RPI 5 times, we’ve finished higher 5 times. This season when they were 14-17, they beat St Louis, Illinois, GT, Florida, Vanderbilt and Tenn.[/quote]
definitly not green tinted. they arent a good program. they made the tournament once in recent memory and that was because they won the conference tournament.[/quote]

Which is one more time than we have. I never said they were great. That would be red tinted.

[quote=“JoeSixPack, post:48, topic:23189”]Nothing is official until I read it in the Charlotte Observer or on charlotteobserver.com

Therefore, I am still of the mindset that this fellow doesn’t exist[/quote]

I guess this means we did not beat the Number 2 ranked baseball team in the country last year in chapel hill, even though it was reported in EVERY OTHER newspaper in the state. Crap, it also means we were never ranked Number 1 nationally in golf.

Back on topic… we can SPECULATE all we want on if this player is good or bad, will help us or not help us, etc. It’ll be a year and a half before he appears in a game. I’m just gonna keep my hopes up and wait and see what happens.

im quite sure i can criticize any recruit i want. i will support him now that he is here but for now i am skeptical.[/quote]

My comment wasn’t meant to be directly pointed at you. I think both of the extremes are a bit silly, thinking he’ll be a 3 year starter or thinking he won’t be able to help (I don’t think anybody used those words, but I get the feeling at least a few are thinking it).

I tend to put some faith in the coaches here because I have never seen this kid play and he’s getting a year of practice to improve. So my sum knowledge of this kid is that he was decently rated out of HS and had one unproductive year at UGA, hard to really form a good opinion off of that.

[quote=“Over49er, post:65, topic:23189”][quote=“JoeSixPack, post:48, topic:23189”]Nothing is official until I read it in the Charlotte Observer or on charlotteobserver.com

Therefore, I am still of the mindset that this fellow doesn’t exist[/quote]

I guess this means we did not beat the Number 2 ranked baseball team in the country last year in chapel hill, even though it was reported in EVERY OTHER newspaper in the state. Crap, it also means we were never ranked Number 1 nationally in golf.

Back on topic… we can SPECULATE all we want on if this player is good or bad, will help us or not help us, etc. It’ll be a year and a half before he appears in a game. I’m just gonna keep my hopes up and wait and see what happens.[/quote]over40 gets 2 wins. no one knows how Mayfield will play. no one knows if the signing will ever make the Observer. they have never been known to inform the public when we get a transfer from a bcs school.

he was a mvp in Georgia, in HS, that says a lot. For all the homers living in the 1980s and 90s. Georgia hs bball talent has been running about 10x better than that of the state of NC for quite a long time now.

he was all state (AAA), along with Derick Favors

Interesting. Got a link to that? I’d like to read about it.

here’s the link. it was actually the AJC “suggestions” for all state: http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-high-school-sports/2009/03/17/georgia-high-school-all-state-basketball-derrick-favors-then-who/

OnlineAthens.com: Georgia’s Mayfield transferring to Charlotte

Nice

[size=6]Welcome to Charlotte…!!![/size]

OnlineAthens. Now there’s a legit sports dept. Maybe we should ignore Disturber and just post and link to other media outlets around the country for our Niner news! Btw, what ever happened to
Mike Persinger? He used to post here.

If we would have had his 0.8 points per game, we would have beaten Richmond twice last year.

Rivals profile, including articles and video clip. I’m not sure what can be viewed by non-subscribers. Just posting for historical purposes. He was 3 star out of high school.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-DeMario-Mayfield-72671

[u]AAA

[/u]Favorite: South Atlanta (24-3). While Derrick Favors is the easy explanation as to why the Hornets should take the 3A crown home, balance will be just as key. South Atlanta has size in the front court in the 6-foot-9 Favors and the 6-foot-8 sophomore Nick Jacobs. Paired with Auburn commit Andre Malone in the backcourt, the Hornets are the obvious choice to take it all.

Biggest Challenger: Columbia (26-2). The Eagles match up well with South Atlanta size-wise and freshman guard Jordan Price can score from anywhere on the floor.

Dark Horse: Franklin County (23-5). While a one-seed probably cannot be considered much of a dark horse candidate, the Lions deserve a mention as a serious contender. They have not lost since January and few players in the state can finish as well as guard DeMario Mayfield.

article states he was AAAA player of the year during his Senior campaign.

The 6-foot-4 Mayfield, the state's Class AAAA player of the year in 2009, left Georgia in search of more playing time after appearing in 18 games and averaging 6.4 minutes per game as a freshman.

He could have been a casualty of a new staff looking to go in a new direction. The assistant that recruited him to Georgia is bringing him to Charlotte, which makes me feel more comfortable.

I’m not going to b**** about a transfer PG listed at 6’4" who was a 3 star recruit that was recruited by ACC and SEC Schools when we have had some putrid recruits brought in over the last 12 years who were not nearly as highly rated and recruited by much lower level programs.

[quote=“Charlotte2002, post:79, topic:23189”]He could have been a casualty of a new staff looking to go in a new direction. The assistant that recruited him to Georgia is bringing him to Charlotte, which makes me feel more comfortable.

I’m not going to b**** about a transfer PG listed at 6’4" who was a 3 star recruit that was recruited by ACC and SEC Schools when we have had some putrid recruits brought in over the last 12 years who were not nearly as highly rated and recruited by much lower level programs.[/quote]

Word!