Favorite restaurants in Charlotte

[quote=“Lew, post:39, topic:23497”][quote=“ninerID, post:38, topic:23497”]Has anyone here had Yu Yu’s Chinese Grill? Really, really good lunch. Nothing asian about it except for the girl behind the counter. Over by Tyvola and Billy Graham.

We call it “Mao’s” because it is like Moe’s but supposedly Chinese.[/quote]

Thou shalt not speak of Mao!

(you’d have to be a 104 kid to get that)[/quote]

I call it the ‘pseudo uno’

I used to eat at Thomas St a ton. That’s pretty much my favorite part of town. Penguin, Dish, Thomas St, Joe’s Raw Bar.

I haven’t been there in ages, mostly because of a pre-NQH girl I wanted to avoid. Had no idea they had such a nice patio -we need a NNN ping pong throwdown.

I always eat at South 21 before or after a game in the Ice Dome.

hahaha NLP has female drama, I never would have guessed that. Crazy ex?

[quote=“donkeyjaws, post:14, topic:23497”]Sushi - Nikko
Italian - Frankies
Mexican - Maria Bonita
Pizza - Tonys
Other - The Roasting Company/Moes[/quote]

I believe Frankies closed down. I was surprised.

Midtown wings are awesome. I hate that just about all of their locations closed. Especially the one in midtown. The irony.

A couple lunch places that come to mind, that I don’t think have been mentioned.

Lolas home cooking - uptown
Luisa’s pizza buffet - Montford

for wings tavern on the tracks. the best wings i have ever had in my life.

[quote=“Normmm, post:46, topic:23497”][quote=“donkeyjaws, post:14, topic:23497”]Sushi - Nikko
Italian - Frankies
Mexican - Maria Bonita
Pizza - Tonys
Other - The Roasting Company/Moes[/quote]

I believe Frankies closed down. I was surprised.[/quote]

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo

if you’re looking for a good date place check out the Dandelion Market uptown. Its off 5th street. Nice mood and good food. It’s not a first date kind of place though because you don’t really order separate meals… you order a few different things and they bring you separate plates. That could be awkward territory. The atmosphere is great though. Small, cozy, lots of dark wood. About the right price of a “special” date night - you know, not the one you go to Chili’s for… By that I mean its not “cheap” but its not horrendously priced either.

South 21
Hathaway’s - Monroe (Chicken)
Jud’s - Monroe (Sweet Tea and down-home southern foods)
Duke’s Grill - Monroe (Burgers and Breakfast)
Mayfair Seafood - Monroe
Bellacino’s - Pizza

Anyone from Union County will tell you that Jud’s and Duke’s are both legendary places and there’s a reason.

Since I’m a Cabarrus Co. native, my list is going to spill up that way a little bit.

Burgers - Bad Dog Burgers, What-A-Burger
Seafood - McCormick and Schmick’s
Pizza - Toppers (open til 3:00 FTW), Picasso’s, Garofala’s Italiano (Concord)
Sushi - Asian Cafe (Concord) - all-you-can-eat sushi made to order for $16.95 every day
Steaks - Firebird’s
Mexican - Cabo Fish Taco, Bio-M-Bos (Concord)
Chicken - Mr. C’s (Concord)

I grabbed some lunch today at Icehouse in Southend. UNBELIEVABLE beer selection. Not many drafts, but just about anything you could think of in bottles. Not quite as many as the Saucer or Duckworths, but close. The wings I got were pretty good but nothing spectacular.

best ribs in town are at a place called the landing. well it’s really on the west side of the lake. it’s located below the old lake norman motel on slanting bridge road where the road crosses the lake. and is accessible by road or by water. the best way to describe it is a dressed up dive with a tiki bar.

Didn’t that place go by a few other names? Or has it always been ‘The Landing’?

[quote=“UNCCTF, post:53, topic:23497”]Since I’m a Cabarrus Co. native, my list is going to spill up that way a little bit.

Burgers - Bad Dog Burgers, What-A-Burger
Seafood - McCormick and Schmick’s
Pizza - Toppers (open til 3:00 FTW), Picasso’s, Garofala’s Italiano (Concord)
Sushi - Asian Cafe (Concord) - all-you-can-eat sushi made to order for $16.95 every day
Steaks - Firebird’s
Mexican - Cabo Fish Taco, Bio-M-Bos (Concord)
Chicken - Mr. C’s (Concord)[/quote]

How about The Varsity for grilled chicken salad sandwiches? I think The Varsity is an underrated dive place because it doesn’t have a dive place feel.

They have a location also on my side of town (Mt. Island Lake area) and I saw them on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives (but don’t remember it all). Do they have anything worthwhile other than their onion rings? Can’t remember what the show said.

They have a location also on my side of town (Mt. Island Lake area) and I saw them on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives (but don’t remember it all). Do they have anything worthwhile other than their onion rings? Can’t remember what the show said.[/quote]

Yeah, I saw that episode too. South 21 has been around since the 50s or early 60s. I love their BBQ plate. Comes with fries, slaw, a pickle and a roll. Their burgers are really good, as well the trout plate.

Like Scotty, I tried a new place. It’s this awesome new Asian restaurant in Davidson called “Mings”. It is off the hook chinese with great Sushi thrown in. Also has daily beer specials, which is cool. Two stories…wonderful interior, but still affordable. Lunch plate for $6.50 including Asian salad and egg roll. Clean, well prepared. Fresh veggies, tender meats. It’s at the circle in Davidson, next to HT. Highly recommend it.