Fire lutz

[QUOTE=49er96;212220]This one is not a coaching problemā€¦this one is a recruiting problem. We just donā€™t have that one special player that can give this team a boost and we needed a boost in the 2nd half bad. Otherwise, Coleman played great. EJ played great. Leemire played very good. Not much from anyone else that I can remember. DA was held to pretty much nothing. Thought the D was pretty good, I donā€™t remember too many bad 3s, we went inside and did very well. During the GW run in the 2nd half (which I could feel coming) they hit some big shots as well.[/QUOTE]

Ironically it just seems to be a recruiting stretch, over the past 4 season's we've relied a ton on JUCO's.  And honestly the players like Courtney Williams, Carlos Williams, and Sean Phaler haven't lived up to the expectations.  We've relied heavily on JUCO big men Chris Nance, Courtney, Twon, and none have (did for Nance) put up consistently good numbers in their career.  Jamison is only starting to blossom late in his senior season, EJ has been here 3 years and he is really the only one over his career here at Charlotte to produce nice numbers. Goldwire is the only 4-year guy of the 2004 class, but EJ has been here 3 years due to redshirt.  Mullis would have been our only 4 year guy from the 2005 class, but he never saw the court.

Now we seem to be heading in the right direction, Lutz has Mox back, and this past class and the future class are getting more 4 year guys in. Booker and Dewhurst were both 3 stars coming out of HS and look for both of them to improve tremendously down the road. Ian has been a pleasant suprise and he looks like he will fall in line with the other great 3pt threats in Charlotte history.

For the 2007 class Jones (technically 2006 recruit) was a 3-star coming out of HS and should be a force inside. Wilderness is another 3-star 4 year guy who will provide us with another athlete. Gaby will help out on the inside and we only have one JUCO coming in in Whitehurst (whoā€™s size will be effective for us.)

Our reliance on JUCOā€™s seem to be fading and we are bringing in the 4 year players and developing.

Man,that was the most overoptimistic rant I ever read.I sure hope youā€™re right though,as opposed to my feeling that we are in the middle of a terribly mediocre cycle,with a lousy coach and no great prospects.Iā€™d hate to wake up in 2008 and sayā€¦ā€œman,whats it been,like 5 years since we had hope!ā€

[QUOTE=49er96;212220]This one is not a coaching problemā€¦this one is a recruiting problem. [/QUOTE]

a recruiting problem is a coaching problem.

[QUOTE=LakeNorman49er;207007]i believe you are correct.

even though the chancellor is opposed to it. he may not have the final say.[/QUOTE]

the chancellor is not opposed to football. never has been. mac everett cannot alone decide to have football. no one person will make this decision. moreover, if the study comes back and says football isnā€™t feasible, then it doesnā€™t matter who wants itā€¦it wonā€™t happen.

[QUOTE=lucky57;212240]Man,that was the most overoptimistic rant I ever read.I sure hope youā€™re right though,as opposed to my feeling that we are in the middle of a terribly mediocre cycle,with a lousy coach and no great prospects.Iā€™d hate to wake up in 2008 and sayā€¦ā€œman,whats it been,like 5 years since we had hope!ā€[/QUOTE]

O RLY? Because I took off my green-tinted glasses. Dude I was just pointing out the fact about the amount of 4 year guys we are getting compared to 2 year guys. If you want to be pessimistic, go ahead, Iā€™ve always found that optimism is the best way to go (even if you have to live with the let downs.) Of course if you are probably one of those people still whining about Michael Beasley (Yes I said his name).

[QUOTE=49erPress;212251]a recruiting problem is a coaching problem.[/QUOTE]

Wellā€¦that is what I meant. I think the X + Os from Lutz today were good. We usually complain about the wild 3s and terrible defense. But for the most part, I thought we played well. The problem, which does rest on Lutzā€™s shoulders, is that he has not recruited the one or two players who could really help this team. Maybe next year or the year after that one of the younger players or new recruits will step up and be the go to guy, who knows. The problem is that person is not here this year and we need one (or two) badly.

seriously people the average age of our team is probably 12 1/2 years old. Weā€™re a young team with some JUCOā€™s plugged in. You can say its a recruiting problem, but it happens to every from time to time, no school is immune to it, generally theyā€™re just better programs and have an easier time landing on their feet. I believe we will be fine b/c we have/had (before injuries) 3 freshman seeing decent minutes and one seeing very good minutes (Ian). Give it time, you wanna complain this time next year, youā€™re argument will have more weight, but still not alot. We had a down year my freshman year (2002-2003) and we were pretty well off the following few years when everyone grew into their roles. Itā€™s cyclical and sometimes better than before and sometimes and can be bleaker than other times, as well.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;212258]seriously people the average age of our team is probably 12 1/2 years old. Weā€™re a young team with some JUCOā€™s plugged in. You can say its a recruiting problem, but it happens to every from time to time, no school is immune to it, generally theyā€™re just better programs and have an easier time landing on their feet. I believe we will be fine b/c we have/had (before injuries) 3 freshman seeing decent minutes and one seeing very good minutes (Ian). Give it time, you wanna complain this time next year, youā€™re argument will have more weight, but still not alot. We had a down year my freshman year (2002-2003) and we were pretty well off the following few years when everyone grew into their roles. Itā€™s cyclical and sometimes better than before and sometimes and can be bleaker than other times, as well.[/QUOTE]

Good post. Very well said.

I thought the niners played very well today.Lutz did a good job of slowing the tempo of the game against a very athletic team.They stayed in the game with their best player (DA) not being able to get a good look.They got the ball inside and Coleman stepped up big but he canā€™t stay on the floor.GW started hitting their shots and played much harder in the second half.Niners played the same kind of defense in the first half but in the second have they hit shots.I donā€™t know what Lutz could have done different.

[QUOTE=49er96;212220]This one is not a coaching problemā€¦this one is a recruiting problem. We just donā€™t have that one special player that can give this team a boost and we needed a boost in the 2nd half bad. Otherwise, Coleman played great. EJ played great. Leemire played very good. Not much from anyone else that I can remember. DA was held to pretty much nothing. Thought the D was pretty good, I donā€™t remember too many bad 3s, we went inside and did very well. During the GW run in the 2nd half (which I could feel coming) they hit some big shots as well.[/QUOTE]

Who do you think recruits? Itā€™s the coaches. We lack disipline, plain and simple. There are alot of schools in the top 50 in RPI that we can out recruit. We lack the fundamentals of working as a team. We canā€™t fill the arena first and foremost because the team is not successful, but we also have a piss poor marketing budget and campaign for all 49er sports. Lack of attendance makes it difficult to recruit in addition to the issues that the A-10 conference presents us. Not to mention this is a non football school.

Since we donā€™t have football, basketball is our revenue sport and largest school event. It is really sad to see the direction the basketball program is going after the success in the late 90ā€™s and early 2000ā€™s. I truly thought we were building a solid program, but we have all seen it start fading away.

Where I think Lutz can be a complete moron in his coaching style, I think we just arenā€™t landing the recuits with solid basketball fundamentals. Our teams the last 3 years have reminded me of the And1 Team, free ballers. There is a reason those kids on And1 are not playing in the NBA or on a D-I basketball program. I think it is only a matter of time before this adminstration realized the effect of no football and the A-10 has had on all sports, if they have not already.

Itā€™s a sad site in niner nation, as I can only remember the days when Cinncinnati would come into Halton with their top 10 ranking and we would bitch slap them and send them home. The crowds, the team, and the conference made for fun basketball. Oh those days seem so long ago.

[QUOTE=Ninerballin;212227]Now we seem to be heading in the right direction, .[/QUOTE]

Can I get some of that shit your smoking???

[QUOTE=49erWhit;212272]Who do you think recruits? Itā€™s the coaches. We lack disipline, plain and simple. There are alot of schools in the top 50 in RPI that we can out recruit. We lack the fundamentals of working as a team. We canā€™t fill the arena first and foremost because the team is not successful, but we also have a piss poor marketing budget and campaign for all 49er sports. Lack of attendance makes it difficult to recruit in addition to the issues that the A-10 conference presents us. Not to mention this is a non football school.

Since we donā€™t have football, basketball is our revenue sport and largest school event. It is really sad to see the direction the basketball program is going after the success in the late 90ā€™s and early 2000ā€™s. I truly thought we were building a solid program, but we have all seen it start fading away.

Where I think Lutz can be a complete moron in his coaching style, I think we just arenā€™t landing the recuits with solid basketball fundamentals. Our teams the last 3 years have reminded me of the And1 Team, free ballers. There is a reason those kids on And1 are not playing in the NBA or on a D-I basketball program. I think it is only a matter of time before this adminstration realized the effect of no football and the A-10 has had on all sports, if they have not already.

Itā€™s a sad site in niner nation, as I can only remember the days when Cinncinnati would come into Halton with their top 10 ranking and we would bitch slap them and send them home. The crowds, the team, and the conference made for fun basketball. Oh those days seem so long ago.[/QUOTE]

Quit harping about the old CUSA days, weā€™re in the A-10 deal with it. Whatā€™s done is done. We just need to figure out how to win in the A-10 and get to the tournment and win in the tournament. Xavier, Dayton, GW, URI, Temple, etc. have done it in the past, thereā€™s no reason why we shouldnā€™t. Your just wasting your time looking back at the CUSA because unless you have a time machine weā€™re not heading back there anytime soon.

[QUOTE=Ninerballin;212285]Quit harping about the old CUSA days, weā€™re in the A-10 deal with it. Whatā€™s done is done. We just need to figure out how to win in the A-10 and get to the tournment and win in the tournament. Xavier, Dayton, GW, URI, Temple, etc. have done it in the past, thereā€™s no reason why we shouldnā€™t. Your just wasting your time looking back at the CUSA because unless you have a time machine weā€™re not heading back there anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

Hey jackass, all I am saying is I miss the old days when going to a niners game was fun and we actually played like a team.

[QUOTE=49er96;212255]Wellā€¦that is what I meant. I think the X + Os from Lutz today were good. We usually complain about the wild 3s and terrible defense. But for the most part, I thought we played well. The problem, which does rest on Lutzā€™s shoulders, is that he has not recruited the one or two players who could really help this team. Maybe next year or the year after that one of the younger players or new recruits will step up and be the go to guy, who knows. The problem is that person is not here this year and we need one (or two) badly.[/QUOTE]

I disagreeā€¦he HAS recruited the one or two players that could push this program forward. The problem is he hasnā€™t landed them, even after they verballed to come here. Thereā€™s always a more persuasive figure in the shadow suading the big time names to go to tradional powerhouses. Or an undermining A$$HOLE like Bob huggins that uses dirty tactics to steal recruits. How many times have we gotten screwed in this area in the past few years?? This time last year we were pumped about the futureā€¦then everything fell apartā€¦AGAIN! Beasleyā€¦Wildernessā€¦Jonesā€¦Iā€™m just frustrated, not necesarily faulting Lutz. And if you donā€™t think Lutz is frustrated and pissed by the chain of events your definitely holding on to that crackpipe to tight.

Please donā€™t be suprised when we have a new coach after this season.

[QUOTE=sf49er;212300]Please donā€™t be suprised when we have a new coach after this season.[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately not gonna happen.No decent school is going to hire Lutz,and Judy is too accepting of the status quo.Until someone lights a fire under her ass and threatens her job its all moot.

First who says a coach leaves to go to another school?

Second, maybe that ā€œfireā€ has been lit?

Not arguing, just think some folks may be suprised.

Interesting how this thread was inactive for about three weeks but comes alive after a loss. You guys who want Lutz fired should keep complaining when we are winning if you want to be taken seriously.

Last time I looked, we had a losing record

[QUOTE=sf49er;212300]Please donā€™t be suprised when we have a new coach after this season.[/QUOTE]

ok iā€™ll bite the bait. do you really know something or are you just speculating?