Wrong place but Gregg Marshall for hoops

2 Likes

Clay Helton was a solid hire for GSU.

We need to do something similar.

4 Likes

Was thinking the same thing.

1 Like

Curt Cignetti from JMU. If you donā€™t succeed, try try again. :grinning:

Feb 11, 2020 ā€” Healy, 35, is receiving a $55,000 raise, increasing his annual salary to $755,000. Hill, in his second full year as Charlotteā€™s athletics ā€¦

I also want to add that clay helton was complete trash at usc and people wanted him gone for very bad results. But so far he has done pretty well at gsu. So a retread that might have had bad results at their P5 job stint could still deliver with us

Complete trash is a bit harsh,

2016 10-3
2017 11-3
2018 5-7
2019 8-5
2020 5-1

Not up to USCā€™s expectations but wasnā€™t a complete disaster like Frost was at Nebraska. The worrisome thing with Helton was it seemed to trend down so was his recruiting sub-par?

At this point Iā€™d like a retread or a coach with sustained FCS success. Iā€™d love to pull someone from the SBC but donā€™t know if we can.

1 Like

clt says we can pay more than SBC teams. their coaches should jump for P2 if they get a chance tho

We should be able to hire a Sunbelt coach.

I too want someone that has had success at the G5 level. I donā€™t want a P5 coordinator taking their first HC job. In both sports we need guys that have been there done that. Could be a lower level guy that won or a retread coming down from a P5 job but experience winning in G5 (Satterfield).

Sunbelt coaches have recently left for Louisville, West Virginia, and Florida. The Sunbelt is currently regarded as much higher than CUSA and on par with the AAC. It might mean a little more money but not likely enough to come here.

1 Like

GSU coach has a 300k buy out and makes 600k. We can top that. Sure some of their coaches might hold out. For a P5 gig, but we are positioned in a better place than the sunbelt, regardless of what their fans say.

1 Like

From what I was told from usc fans Helton just inherited a good team that was recruited from the previous coach. they mostly give sam darnold the credit for carrying what they saw was a bad coach in the 2016 and 2017 season. I think even a number of pundits say the same thing that darnold won despite the coach. then helton failed to maintain anything after darnold left. but thats how they interpret it.

This is who we should have hired when we hired Healy

I do not know if Healy received a raised last year, but if not, it is sad to see that GSU HC makes more than Healy. This is why we cannot compete.

Healy makes $755k

We offered Houston around $1 million or a little over IIRC. Healy would be making that much by now if he had been more successful. Currently he is making more than he is worth.

2 Likes

Cignetti was Elonā€™s coach at the time. Honestly, I think Hill took a first look at coaches that expressed interest when Lambert was released after Houston got a better offer. I believe thatā€™s how Will came up out of no where.

Healy was a knee jerk when plan A fell through.

If Hill had been able to hang onto Houston, I think we would all be in a very different mood right now. Thatā€™s where things got off the rails.

clt says the Houston timing didnā€™t work. he would be our coach if we had already announced the AAC move when we were speaking with him.