High Point, Nov 9... this may help some

Isn’t there coach supposed to check the rules on who he schedules before he schedules them?

I didn't know High Point had a university until we beat them in women's basketball a year ago. No one from my high school went to High Point or even had it on their radar.

so basically you’re no better than anyone mentioned in the name confusion log. the fact that you’re ignorant to their existence has nothing to do with their university or the team’s success.

Biased, eason? Not at all, I've just seen them play plenty of games. If I'm not in Charlotte at a 49ers game and the Panthers are at home, I'll be there. But am I a fan of HPU? No more than I am of Wake Forest or any other local team.

My sister coached soccer at High Point, so I was able to get into several of their games over the last three years as well. They are very quick and scrappy and can score in bunches if they get hot. They play a hell of a tough defense, however we should be able to do something inside, if, and it’s a big IF, our players ever go inside. Also, they have a good student following for the size of their school, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they bring some busses down to Charlotte and try to compete with our student section in noise level. I hope we have people show up to drown them out. High Point is a fun team to watch, and this team, regardless of their OOC schedule this year played a lot of good teams last year (UNC-Ch, Maryland, FSU, Kentucky, Cincinatti). They’re battle tested.

On the other hand, I have noticed that they are inconsistent. Many times while watching them, they have lost to teams they shouldn’t lose to by giving up late leads and just basically letting up on opponents. They tend to play stupid at the end of games. This could work to our advantage if it is close late.

In all honesty, we should beat them based on raw talent, but anyone who has known Charlotte under Bobby knows that we play to our competition. Every year, we lose to a couple of teams that we should blow out. Games like this scare me more than playing the ACC, because Bobby has been able to get his teams up and ready for big games, but for games against teams we should beat, we come out soft and cold. I hope we come out to win and show what this team can do, but I will not rule out High Point based on name. I have seen them play a lot over the past couple of years and they are the type of team that scare me with Bobby Lutz as our coach.

I am in agreement with eason here, I have never heard of the University of High Point until like 2 years ago.

If we lose to HP, Lutz shouldn’t start packing his bags, but he should probably start buying some travel soap and toothpaste. Attendance, perception of the program, momentum into the season will sink like a rock. I don’t care how down we are, how up they are, we should [B]NEVER[/B] lose to High Point in Halton arena, [B]PERIOD[/B]. We supposedly recruit juco talent so that we don’t have to rebuild. We have better facilities, a better history, more capital in general, and this game shouldn’t be close. If we lose, the blood is on Lutz hands. I don’t care if we only shoot 27% that night, its his fault. He writes the script, he recruits the players (in the same state as HP), and he sets the lineups.

It will also show what direction we have for the season. Now, if we lose and shoot 20+ 3’s in the game and let HP put up more than 74 on the scoreboard, I will buy a cheap suitcase and anyone who wants to, can donate items to throw in it, travel scope, disposable razors, poker chips, etc.

Yes it will. Come on, High Point is no North Texas.

Oh god I just barfed. Memories of that game make me want to end myself.

I am in agreement with eason here, I have never heard of the University of High Point until like 2 years ago.

If we lose to HP, Lutz shouldn’t start packing his bags, but he should probably start buying some travel soap and toothpaste. Attendance, perception of the program, momentum into the season will sink like a rock. I don’t care how down we are, how up they are, we should NEVER lose to High Point in Halton arena, PERIOD. We supposedly recruit juco talent so that we don’t have to rebuild. We have better facilities, a better history, more capital in general, and this game shouldn’t be close. If we lose, the blood is on Lutz hands. I don’t care if we only shoot 27% that night, its his fault. He writes the script, he recruits the players (in the same state as HP), and he sets the lineups.

It will also show what direction we have for the season. Now, if we lose and shoot 20+ 3’s in the game and let HP put up more than 74 on the scoreboard, I will buy a cheap suitcase and anyone who wants to, can donate items to throw in it, travel scope, disposable razors, poker chips, etc.

I agree, we should never, EVER lose to High Point, but I was just saying that with past games on the mind, I wouldn’t be 100% suprised if they give us a game.

What is really boils down to is: they are not on the same level as us. Well, they shouldn’t be. If they are… Lutz is to blame, and there is no excuse.

Some of you need a reality check. High Point has not been a DI program for very long, but they made some noise last year in their conference, which included a solid Winthrop team. Lutz knows they’re good, and that’s why we scheduled them. That’s why I was razzing them for scheduling DII teams, because they are supposed to be above that with the caliber this team is touted to be. Just because you haven’t heard of them does not mean that they aren’t any good. Most people had never heard of Gonzaga even after they made their second NCAA run. I’m not saying High Point is the next Gonzaga or that they are close to that good this season, but just because you have not heard of them does not mean we are going to beat them.

We have one (1) returning starter. Let me say that again. We have one (1) returning starter. We lost 69% of our scoring from last year’s team. Ian played a lot last season, but the remainder of the starters and contributors are brand new. I don’t recall us ever having a team with only one starter returning. If we had several contributors returning, I wouldn’t be as worried. They will be trying to “prove” something too, much like we do when we play an in-state ACC school. If our team prepares for this game the way many of our fans seem to be, we will be in for a long night.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;264311]Remind me again why a one-bid league should care about RPI?[/QUOTE]

I’m sure this used to be the thinking of the MAC, MVC, and West Coast Conference. They used to be one-bid leagues also until they changed their thinking and, in turn, changed their scheduling. If perrenial one-bid leagues keep allowing their member schools to play DII schools for non-conference home games, they will always be one-bid leagues. Had VMI upset Winthrop in the Big South Tourney final last season, would the Big South have been a one-bid league? Quick, check your archives. Winthrop probably would not have gotten an at-large, but they would have been darn close.

At least for me, beating HP and ASU are huge. I doesn’t matter how good they are supposed to be. We should beat them. If we do lose, we are in for a long season and Judy should start interviewing candidates. Not to mention this board will need to be declared a disaster area.

We’ve also got to find a way to beat at least one but preferably two (would like to beat all four but trying to be realistic) ACC teams. I’m excited about the new season but also a little worried. It could be something to build on (again trying to be realistic) or it could be a disaster. Anyway, Go Niners!

[QUOTE=ninerID;264462]I am in agreement with eason here, I have never heard of the University of High Point until like 2 years ago.

If we lose to HP, Lutz shouldn’t start packing his bags, but he should probably start buying some travel soap and toothpaste. Attendance, perception of the program, momentum into the season will sink like a rock. I don’t care how down we are, how up they are, we should [B]NEVER[/B] lose to High Point in Halton arena, [B]PERIOD[/B]. We supposedly recruit juco talent so that we don’t have to rebuild. We have better facilities, a better history, more capital in general, and this game shouldn’t be close. If we lose, the blood is on Lutz hands. I don’t care if we only shoot 27% that night, its his fault. He writes the script, he recruits the players (in the same state as HP), and he sets the lineups.

It will also show what direction we have for the season. Now, if we lose and shoot 20+ 3’s in the game and let HP put up more than 74 on the scoreboard, I will buy a cheap suitcase and anyone who wants to, can donate items to throw in it, travel scope, disposable razors, poker chips, etc.[/QUOTE]

Same can be said about quite a few other opponents as well, like North Texas last year. I’m sorry but saying you should never lose to a team in your home arena is being a little too arrogant. The teams Winthrop went on the road and beat last year, I’m sure the same thing was said about Winthrop.

Fact is, these “one-bid” conference schools get pretty good players. So when you have a team coming in that had a good year last year, and is bringing back a top 10 NCAA scorer who happened to be the Big South Player of the Year last year (Who had the NCAA leading scorer last year in VMI’s Reggie Williams), then I wouldn’t be so gung-ho with the arrogant attitude.

While HP might not beat us, they are team that is well coached and has good players, including a superstar, who could “upset” two A-10 teams this year, us and Dayton.

Same can be said about quite a few other opponents as well, like North Texas last year. I'm sorry but saying you should never lose to a team in your home arena is being a little too arrogant. The teams Winthrop went on the road and beat last year, I'm sure the same thing was said about Winthrop.

Fact is, these “one-bid” conference schools get pretty good players. So when you have a team coming in that had a good year last year, and is bringing back a top 10 NCAA scorer who happened to be the Big South Player of the Year last year (Who had the NCAA leading scorer last year in VMI’s Reggie Williams), then I wouldn’t be so gung-ho with the arrogant attitude.

While HP might not beat us, they are team that is well coached and has good players, including a superstar, who could “upset” two A-10 teams this year, us and Dayton.

North Texas was a tournament team last year and we for some unkown reason we played them a day after we played our first game of the season. North Texas finished with an RPI of 137, Charlotte 145, HP 185. I can see us losing to a SunBelt tourney team. I am not saying on 3 days rest we win, but we don’t get throttled by them.

Please stop the stats of the mighty big south. of 32 conferences (including independents) they were the 29th best conference. Winthrop had an RPI of 70, as said earlier HP was at 185, the rest of the conference was 283-330 (only 336 teams are rated total)

HP’s best win last year was to #172 Loyola MD, next best #249 UNC Asheville. Lost to #317 TN Martin to start the season, 307 Longwood, 283 Liberty, and ended the season to #297 VMI.

We should never lose to High Point. Its a good story, and it is good what they are doing, and HP49er posts things on here that make them seem like they are going places, maybe they are but in 2007, in Halton Arena, we should not lose to them.

We have one (1) returning starter. Let me say that again. We have one (1) returning starter. We lost 69% of our scoring from last year's team. Ian played a lot last season, but the remainder of the starters and contributors are brand new. I don't recall us ever having a team with only one starter returning. If we had several contributors returning, I wouldn't be as worried. They will be trying to "prove" something too, much like we do when we play an in-state ACC school. If our team prepares for this game the way many of our fans seem to be, we will be in for a long night.
Problem with that is we weren't good last year. You shouldn't suck the year before you rebuild.

If we lose to HP, Lutz shouldn’t start packing his bags, but he should probably start buying some travel soap and toothpaste. Attendance, perception of the program, momentum into the season will sink like a rock. I don’t care how down we are, how up they are, we should NEVER lose to High Point in Halton arena, PERIOD. We supposedly recruit juco talent so that we don’t have to rebuild. We have better facilities, a better history, more capital in general, and this game shouldn’t be close. If we lose, the blood is on Lutz hands. I don’t care if we only shoot 27% that night, its his fault. He writes the script, he recruits the players (in the same state as HP), and he sets the lineups.

Yep.

[QUOTE=ninerID;264491]
We should never lose to High Point. Its a good story, and it is good what they are doing, and HP49er posts things on here that make them seem like they are going places, maybe they are but in 2007, in Halton Arena, we should not lose to them.[/QUOTE]

With that logic we should never beat a superior program on their home court, either. Ask Syracuse about home-opening losses when they thought they would not lose, especially on the night the National Championship banner was unvailed. Maybe Otto can share what the mood was there before that game. “We should never lose to Charlotte in the Carrier Dome” was probably read many times on their message board. :huh:

With that logic we should never beat a superior program on their home court, either. Ask Syracuse about home-opening losses when they thought they would not lose, especially on the night the National Championship banner was unvailed. Maybe Otto can share what the mood was there before that game. "We should never lose to Charlotte in the Carrier Dome" was probably read many times on their message board. :huh:

when High Point finishes with an RPI of 34, ends the longest home winning streak by defeating SIU, beats cinicnnati on the road and louisville at home, please bring this thread back up.

when High Point finishes with an RPI of 34, ends the longest home winning streak by defeating SIU, beats cinicnnati on the road and louisville at home, please bring this thread back up.
NA, Lefty and the usual comrades get all pissy when I post stuff like this. I think I'll just give a "yep" to some of ninerID's post this year instead of myself posting thoughts. That should help insure board control and calmness.:doh:

[QUOTE=ninerID;264501]when High Point finishes with an RPI of 34, ends the longest home winning streak by defeating SIU, beats cinicnnati on the road and louisville at home, please bring this thread back up.[/QUOTE]

And this Niners team is going to be that good? Syracuse’s RPI for the 2002-2003 season was #9, ours was #95. That’s a spread of 86. They were on their home court, which they did not lose on the season before. We were coming off the worst season since I had been following Niners basketball (circa 1992), and our first losing season since 1995-1996. What exactly told anyone with any sense and not wearing green-tinted glasses we were supposed to/going to win that game?

The RPI spread from last season between us and High Point is 39, a lot closer than 86. Couple that with losing two of our top three scorers from last season, and you still say High Point has no chance against us? The math and the statistical probability say otherwise. Feel free to continue ignoring those though, because I hope you’re right.

It’s interesting how it’s played out…in the critical year, we play 4 ACC teams and 4 in-state mid-major schools. We’ll definitely know where we stand and what needs to happen by Jan 1.

The RPI spread from last season between us and High Point is 39, a lot closer than 86. Couple that with losing two of our top three scorers from last season, and you still say High Point has no chance against us? The math and the statistical probability say otherwise. Feel free to continue ignoring those though, because I hope you're right.

He’s not saying that HP has no chance against us, he’s saying b/c of the disparity between the two schools, we should not be in this predicament where we are susceptible to losing to them. He’s making his case that if we do lose to them, bags should be packed b/c that’s how far we’ve dropped. Not saying I agree or disagree, but I’m pretty sure that’s what he’s trying to get across.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;264511]It’s interesting how it’s played out…in the critical year, we play 4 ACC teams and 4 in-state mid-major schools. We’ll definitely know where we stand and what needs to happen by Jan 1.[/QUOTE]
Not to mention the best team we’ll play in OOC – Southern Illinois. And we have to play Hofstra and Tulsa on the road. Yes, we’ll definitely know where we stand on January 12th when Temple comes to Halton for our A-10 season opener.

HP, I saw a HPU sticker on a car in Davidson yesterday morning when I drove up there to go for a run. And I’ve known about HPU for quite some time since one of my best friends from high school when to college there – back in the 1970s!!!