Jake Delhomme

Jake is a “game management” QB…he’s had a fairly average season. His job is to just ‘not blow it’…he did a great job of that this season…but we see what happens when he does blow it! The team has no ability to recover from it…they went away from the run- which is what got them to the playoffs. The D was playing safe in the 2nd half- NO ONE could cover Fitz, NO ONE got pressure on Warner…
We saw how teams with game management QB’s did in the post season- Giants & Eli, Titans & Collins, Panthers & Jake.
They all got behind & were forced away from the run…
It’d be nice to have a QB that did more than simply manage the game. Not that McNabb or Warner or Flacco are great- but they have potential to be great- it’s been 5 seasons since we’ve seen Jake play ‘great’…Time for a change! Matt Cassel anyone?

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;376247]Trgo and Davidson were both uneblievably awful against AZ, but Davidson hasnt been that bad all year. He just gotd ared to throw by Arizona feinting with 8 men in the box, and thought because Jake did it against a pathetic Broncos D, he could do it against the Cards. Big mistake. Cards also faked that 8 man front a lot, since they know Jake wont audible except for that quick line of scrimmage pass.

Trgo was awful all season. Is it his philosophy, our personnel or both. Probably both. We lack shutdown corners, and our safeties were a rook & a hitter. I would never get rid of Chris Harris, but coverage aint his thing. He’ll kill a RB in support or a QB on a blitz though. We have to have a hitter back there. Godfrey needs to get better. We have to replace Lucas witha shutdown CB, not a project. Marshall got much worse this year. I can’t explain why.

But Trgo---- oh man do I hate his insistence to play Cover 2 or 3 against a fuggin passing team with an inmobile QB and never apply pressure up the middle because he doesn’t trust his CBs. I have been very worriedly suggesting for a week that AZ was built to beat our non agreesive style and almost did once already. Screw that East Coast crap. Those teams werent the Panthers - they blitz and get him out of the pocket. We don’t. Our front 4 arent dominant. Our best pressures all day long were effort plays by D. Lewis (who later committed a bad penalty), and the one time Trgo finally blitzed Harris up the middle (huge sack of Warner - thought Harris might have hurt him), which I had been screaming for in the bar for the previous 15 minutes.

Playing that wait and give up the middle and short passes crap against a passing team with a vet gunslinger like Warner is like Lutz playing our horrendous 2-3 zone against a shooting team with no post. It’s like allowing your opponent to call the defenses they’d prefer to see for the most success. ARGHHH. Getting worked up just thinking about it. Why are these guys so stubborn?[/QUOTE]

If that isn’t a textbook Monday morning quarterback post, I don’t know what is. :tongue:

Turgo’s scheme sucks… Letting up 33, 31, 34, 10, 23, 31, 45, 22 in the last 8 speaks volumes.

Yeah. Panthers went 12-4, undefeated at home in the regular season, got a first round bye, had a terrible game and now everyone thinks suddenly the whole season was terrible and everyone sucked. Par for the course in this town.

[QUOTE=Jim Utter;376265]Yeah. Panthers went 12-4, undefeated at home in the regular season, got a first round bye, had a terrible game and now everyone thinks suddenly the whole season was terrible and everyone sucked. Par for the course in this town.[/QUOTE]

Wake up dude… this happenes in EVERY town.

You flop in the playoffs after a great season, you should take the heat. The Giants are the SB champas and did the same thing the Panthers did and are getting killed. Tennessee is there too. If you win 12 games you have lofty expectations, if you **** the bed you should expect nothing but negative for a while…

Yeah. Panthers went 12-4, undefeated at home in the regular season, got a first round bye, had a terrible game and now everyone thinks suddenly the whole season was terrible and everyone sucked. Par for the course in this town.

C’mon Jim…You want people to throw a parade for getting a first round bye? I think you’ve been covering the Niners to long. Its the postseason that matters. Period.

What do you expect from an Observer guy? Of course he’s not upset over 6 turnovers. Hell if you count the # of times the local paper screws us over, there about on 6 million turnovers.

The lack of that type of attitude is exactly why we extended a coach with a NIT season.

Can you honestly say, though, that the defensive schemes throughout the year were good?

Problem I have, Gamble and Lucas are large and physical, why does Trgovac design them to never play bump and run? The cushion lets crossing and stop routes be open all day.

In this game especially, playing a timing offense, you let the WR’s get a free jump when the ball is hiked?

The Defense looked better in the second half, but I personally think that had more to do with Fox being more involved in the play calling after being sickened by the defense in the first.

I say replace Trgo.

[QUOTE=Max Power;376262]If that isn’t a textbook Monday morning quarterback post, I don’t know what is. :tongue:[/QUOTE]

yeah yeah yeah - only Ive been on Trgo for this for years. I just dont post much here about it.

Agreed. The Panthers had a great year.

But I tend to agree with at least addressing the future QB role. I agree that you can’t put everything on one game. However, Jake’s one game was so bad, that I think you have to look for a back up that might be groomed into the starter. Not the sky is falling, we need a new starter for the first game of next season.

I think we had a great season. I just think (MMQB here) that we were out game planned, and Fox/our OC panicked and believed a little too much in Jake’s arm/head on a night he turned out not to have it.

I’ve hated Trgo’s scheme for years. Most people get tired of me bitching about it. He just has the opposite mindset of me. I’d probably blitz too much, but then again, I’d sell my draft out to get two corners that make OC’s throw their hands up in dismay.

Prior to this game Jake had the third ALL TIME highest QB rating in the playoffs, THIRD. Who was ahead of him, Bart Starr and Joe Montana. Does anyone remember last year, we tried what, 4 different quarterbacks, started out 4-2 and didn’t sniff the playoffs. Our unimaginative offense makes it difficult for jake to be unpredictable. Not to say he didn’t have a horrible gunslinging game on saturday, indefensible. I have a hard time remembering if we ever had a decent O-coordinator. Usually its run up the middle, run up the middles, long bomb to smith. How about a reverse or a flea flicker, we Rarely pulled that out and if their ever was a time to playoffs maybe. But no, Fox’s conservative pound it out don’t take any chances approach grinds it out during the season, but you’ve got to bring some tricks to the playoffs. What ever happened to Rosario by the way? Made the winning catch week 1 and then almost nothing, this offense hates the TE.

With that said defense, their is no excuse. Our secondary has been horrible all season, we play prevent and it is maddening. Peppers walking off the field WTF? What ever happened to that guy’s heart? Some teams make up for a weak secondary by putting pressure on the QB but nope, we don’t do either.

As far as Jake goes I can’t believe the treatment he gets. when he does well he is an afterthought, he’s overachieving. When he screws up we knew it all along, he’s horrible. He’s like the entire city’s stepchild.

Prior to this game Jake had the third ALL TIME highest QB rating in the playoffs, THIRD. Who was ahead of him, Bart Starr and Joe Montana. Does anyone remember last year, we tried what, 4 different quarterbacks, started out 4-2 and didn't sniff the playoffs. Our unimaginative offense makes it difficult for jake to be unpredictable. Not to say he didn't have a horrible gunslinging game on saturday, indefensible. I have a hard time remembering if we ever had a decent O-coordinator. Usually its run up the middle, run up the middles, long bomb to smith. How about a reverse or a flea flicker, we Rarely pulled that out and if their ever was a time to playoffs maybe. But no, Fox's conservative pound it out don't take any chances approach grinds it out during the season, but you've got to bring some tricks to the playoffs. What ever happened to Rosario by the way? Made the winning catch week 1 and then almost nothing, this offense hates the TE.

With that said defense, their is no excuse. Our secondary has been horrible all season, we play prevent and it is maddening. Peppers walking off the field WTF? What ever happened to that guy’s heart? Some teams make up for a weak secondary by putting pressure on the QB but nope, we don’t do either.

As far as Jake goes I can’t believe the treatment he gets. when he does well he is an afterthought, he’s overachieving. When he screws up we knew it all along, he’s horrible. He’s like the entire city’s stepchild.

That is the life of a Quarterback…when you win you get more credit than you deserve, when you lose you get more sh!t than you deserve.

Never feel bad for a millionaire athlete.

I’m proud of work Panthers did this year. But realistically, they went 12-4 off a pretty easy schedule and they absolutely shouldn’t have lost that game. Piss poor preparation, no passion are the two things that stood out for me.

[QUOTE=DownwithNBA;376291]Prior to this game Jake had the third ALL TIME highest QB rating in the playoffs, THIRD. Who was ahead of him, Bart Starr and Joe Montana. Does anyone remember last year, we tried what, 4 different quarterbacks, started out 4-2 and didn’t sniff the playoffs. Our unimaginative offense makes it difficult for jake to be unpredictable. Not to say he didn’t have a horrible gunslinging game on saturday, indefensible. I have a hard time remembering if we ever had a decent O-coordinator. Usually its run up the middle, run up the middles, long bomb to smith. How about a reverse or a flea flicker, we Rarely pulled that out and if their ever was a time to playoffs maybe. But no, Fox’s conservative pound it out don’t take any chances approach grinds it out during the season, but you’ve got to bring some tricks to the playoffs. [B]What ever happened to Rosario by the way? Made the winning catch week 1 and then almost nothing, this offense hates the TE.[/B]

As far as Jake goes I can’t believe the treatment he gets. when he does well he is an afterthought, he’s overachieving. When he screws up we knew it all along, he’s horrible. He’s like the entire city’s stepchild.[/QUOTE]

QFT

[QUOTE=DownwithNBA;376291]Prior to this game Jake had the third ALL TIME highest QB rating in the playoffs, THIRD. Who was ahead of him, Bart Starr and Joe Montana. Does anyone remember last year, we tried what, 4 different quarterbacks, started out 4-2 and didn’t sniff the playoffs. Our unimaginative offense makes it difficult for jake to be unpredictable. Not to say he didn’t have a horrible gunslinging game on saturday, indefensible. I have a hard time remembering if we ever had a decent O-coordinator. Usually its run up the middle, run up the middles, long bomb to smith. How about a reverse or a flea flicker, we Rarely pulled that out and if their ever was a time to playoffs maybe. But no, Fox’s conservative pound it out don’t take any chances approach grinds it out during the season, but you’ve got to bring some tricks to the playoffs. [B]What ever happened to Rosario by the way? Made the winning catch week 1 and then almost nothing, this offense hates the TE. [/B]

As far as Jake goes I can’t believe the treatment he gets. when he does well he is an afterthought, he’s overachieving. When he screws up we knew it all along, he’s horrible. He’s like the entire city’s stepchild.[/QUOTE]

QFT

We need a QB & several CB’s in the off-season, or don’t ask me to root for you next year.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;376326]We need a QB & several CB’s in the off-season, or don’t ask me to root for you next year.[/QUOTE]

We have a QB.

Now, should we look into drafting a decent QB prospect to groom for the future? Yes. But with a 60 as our best pick, it would be foolish to do that this year.

couple things after re-watching it last night on DVR (yeah, I know - I’m a glutton for punishment. hell, I’m a Cubs fan too.):

Richard Marshall was absolutely lost out there. Now I know why this guy does not start for us. Example: Fitzgerald catches that wide open slant for yardage on their first scoring drive. Anybody with this game on tape please explain to me what he was doing? Also note when he runs over to “help” Lucas with his man Lucas shoves him towards Fitzgerald. Also, a 15 yard personal foul for hitting a guy? - inexcusable in most situations but doubley so when you trail on the board. He is an idiot.

That fumble on the 13 was terrible. Wharton was driven into Jake but Jake held it too long. I’m not sure we are going that far downfield when we are on our own 13. Maybe a busted play/good coverage or maybe he thinks he has Smith downfield for a big play.

Yet after these plays we are still in it marching down the field to tie the game, then the wheels come off. Jake thinks he is making a safe throw to the corner of end zone but DRC sees Smith (not guarding him mind you) heading to it and cuts off his coverage of his man (Moose, Jarrett, dunno couldn’t tell) who is trailing Smith in his own pattern. Maybe it was underthrown but seems like bad play design to run multiple defenders towards the same direction to me.

Jake then throws a beautiful strike to the Az linebacker. These plays are bam-bam-bam in sequence and demoralize the Panthers. At this point Arizona is just daring Jake to beat them - which he cannot do. He was throwing into double coverage all night because Davidson had abandoned the run. Why do you abandon the run the second freakin quarter?

Jake is taking the heat today and rightfully so but there is plenty of blame to go around on this one. The defense and it’s gameplan was terrible in the first half. We abandon our bread and butter and their D is able to run wind sprints in the second half. Tell me Az is only gonna score 6 in the second half and I tell you Carolina wins that game every time. This one was a real head scratcher on many levels.

I cannot help to think of John Fox’s self proclaimed mantra - “Be the same guy”. Well he sure as ****e didn’t tell his O & D Coordinators to do that cause that was one hell of a Jeckyl & Hyde coaching job we witnessed.