Jeff Jones Decommits!!!!

Reading the Maryland Board reminds me of a day we had not to long ago........

I almost feel bad for them…

Almost.

They have the banner that I covet as a fan of this program. I’m still supremely jealous of that. But yeah, rough times for them.

As for Jones, he may never come here. Who knows. but the prospects of such a high caliber player coming here are worth getting excited for. If it wasn’t for reasons to be excited or hopeful, I wouldn’t bother posting here.

i actually do feel bad for them. a lot of boards had sympathy for us when that happened, including the terrible acc schools that we love to hate. i’m glad that things are going our way for a change however. recruiting is a tricky game and nothing is promised but i like our chances.

. a lot of boards had sympathy for us when that happened, including the terrible acc schools that we love to hate.

Uhhh, and which boards are those?

Uhhh, and which boards are those?

IC, packpride, Wakes board, and every other board I saw discussing the issue. Everyone perceived it as a dirty move for the most part besides KSU and their fans.

Everyone perceived it as a dirty move for the most part besides KSU and their fans.

Those same KSU fans will tell you that Manhattan, KS is exactly like Manhattan, NY but without crime and traffic.

I do not feel bad at all based on the fact that we did not take Mox to get this recruit. We grabbed Mox because it was good for the program, if a recruit happens to follow him then so be it. We did nothing dirty or underhanded here so there is nothing to feel bad about.

IC, packpride, Wakes board, and every other board I saw discussing the issue. Everyone perceived it as a dirty move for the most part besides KSU and their fans.

Moxley coming back to Charlotte is not quite the same. Players follow coaches all the time. Huggs took an assistant for the sole purpose of a recruit… We brought back Moxley to get Moxley. Any recruit that comes along because of that is just icing on the cake…

Moxley also received a promotion to Associate Head Coach. If there’s any doubt, just read Doyel’s article about assistant coaching hires. He’s a third party person who said Huggins was cherrypicking and we staged a coup.

I don’t think we did anything dirty at all either, this is another reason we can all be proud to be Niner fans. However I do feel sorry for Maryland and the direction that their program is headed, could be some long years in the ACC.

I don't think we did anything dirty at all either, this is another reason we can all be proud to be Niner fans. However I do feel sorry for Maryland and the direction that their program is headed, could be some long years in the ACC.

The security factor they have, though, is that they are in the ACC. Within reason, programs really only head one direction in the ACC. This will slow down their temporary success, but the fact that their in the conference will always land great recruits. That’s what comes with great prestige. We must keep in mind, that the same thing happened to us, and it hurts, and now we’re in a similar position to those at Kansas State…let’s just keep showing that we’re NOT, in any other way, similar to those at Kansas State.

I dont know, ninerball49. NCState has won a nat’l championship and look at them. GT, Clemson, and FSU all have mediocure programs yet are in the ACC and have been for a while. WF was pretty bad this year. VT and Miami probably never will have that good of teams even tho being in the ACC wont hurt them. But in the end, I think that there is a point to where being in the ACC can get you. After that, its all just good team management. So MU is not a sure thing for getting better.

I dont know, ninerball49. NCState has won a nat'l championship and look at them. GT, Clemson, and FSU all have mediocure programs yet are in the ACC and have been for a while. WF was pretty bad this year. VT and Miami probably never will have that good of teams even tho being in the ACC wont hurt them. But in the end, I think that there is a point to where being in the ACC can get you. After that, its all just good team management. So MU is not a sure thing for getting better.

Yes, look at NC State. They won a national championship. So, here they are, in the temporary rebuilding phase that every team must go through at some point. But just being in the ACC guarantees that someday, they’ll be back in contention. VT and Miami weren’t built for the ACC, and since they’ve been there, they’ve started recruiting/building for the ACC, and they’re here now. It was a huge step for both basketball programs, and will (and has) gotten them big recruits. They’re here to stay, regardless of inevitable hard times.

However I do feel sorry for Maryland and the direction that their program is headed, could be some long years in the ACC.

Highly doubt it.

Being someone who grew up in the DC area, Maryland Basketball is BIG. You will NEVER see anyone in Northern VA/DC/Maryland wear a George Washington, Mason, UVA, Richmond, or VA Tech basketball jersey. It’s all Maryland. The respect and prestige is huge. What the hell am I trying to say? Uggh…just consider me your typical Wal Mart Maryland fan…

[QUOTE=ninerball49;174723]Seriously, no offense at all intended, but the topics with the players names are created for the sole reason of reporting news on those players. With that said, I think this could have gone in the Jeff Jones thread…I’m not trying to criticize you or anyone…just…in the future…keep in mind that’s why the thread is there…clogging up the recruiting forum is frusturating.

On the subject, possibly good news…possibly.[/QUOTE]

SHUT UP ROOKIE

[QUOTE=Threemire09;174741]Bobby: Hit me with your best shot!
GW : Fire away

I wish they were roomies on the trip, it’d be fun listening in on the dinner convos.[/QUOTE]

Gary Williams would kick Lutz’s ass.

On another note, being a huge Maryland fan myself, if Jones leaves and doesn’t come to Charlotte I will be pissed

Yes, look at NC State. They won a national championship. So, here they are, in the temporary rebuilding phase that every team must go through at some point. But just being in the ACC guarantees that someday, they'll be back in contention. VT and Miami weren't built for the ACC, and since they've been there, they've started recruiting/building for the ACC, and they're here now. It was a huge step for both basketball programs, and will (and has) gotten them big recruits. They're here to stay, regardless of inevitable hard times.

I dont think you understood me. NC State won their last Nat’l Championship in 83. They really havnt been that good since the late 80s. But they have been in the ACC the whole time. They are on a streak on 5 tournament appearances but they havnt done that much there (and it looks like thats about to be broken). Plenty of schools go to the tournament multiple times in a row. Being in the ACC doesnt make them different. All I’m getting at is MU did win it all recently, but it is arguable that they may be in for a rough span of years. Being in the ACC guarantees nothing. Clemson, FSU, and GT have all been pretty crappy and have been in the ACC for a while. Why havnt they done anything? WF is not that consistent either. MU may recover, but if they do it will be a result of good management, not because of their conference.

I dont think you understood me. NC State won their last Nat'l Championship in 83. They really havnt been that good since the late 80s. But they have been in the ACC the whole time. They are on a streak on 5 tournament appearances but they havnt done that much there (and it looks like thats about to be broken). Plenty of schools go to the tournament multiple times in a row. Being in the ACC doesnt make them different. All I'm getting at is MU did win it all recently, but it is arguable that they may be in for a rough span of years. Being in the ACC guarantees nothing. Clemson, FSU, and GT have all been pretty crappy and have been in the ACC for a while. Why havnt they done anything? WF is not that consistent either. MU may recover, but if they do it will be a result of good management, not because of their conference.

I see your point. However, the ACC’s prestige allows for Wake to have a bad “ACC” year, the same year that any other conference would consider one of the best in history. 5 tournament appearances is very consistent. As a matter of fact, I think Charlotte’s streak is close to that, and we (at least I) am/are very proud of it. Which is my point…

[QUOTE=WBNiner;174826]I do not feel bad at all based on the fact that we did not take Mox to get this recruit. We grabbed Mox because it was good for the program, if a recruit happens to follow him then so be it. We did nothing dirty or underhanded here so there is nothing to feel bad about.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. After reading some of the posts bashing Charlotte and the A-10 on that board I don’t feel bad at all. Of course, it’s all speculation as to where this guy is going to to commit. Is it just me or are off seasons becoming more interesting?

[QUOTE=WBNiner;174826]I do not feel bad at all based on the fact that we did not take Mox to get this recruit. We grabbed Mox because it was good for the program, if a recruit happens to follow him then so be it. We did nothing dirty or underhanded here so there is nothing to feel bad about.[/QUOTE]
Take me to the river and wash me 'cause I’m dirty, dirty, dirty.

If you people on this board don’t think Moxley was hired at least in part because of this Jones connection, you’re a pack of fools. Yes Moxley is “Coming back home”. Yes, he has a good track record at this school. And yes, he was promised to get high consideration for the head job when the time comes.

But, don’t fool yourself into thinking that he didn’t drop a hint that “Hey, I know this Jones kid pretty well”. Most of you seem a little smarter than this. However, some of you are young so I’ll let you slide.