Lutz Live 2-nite

Its disappointing that Lutz responded this way. His statement that we arent that great inside has some truth to it, but that wasnt the case against Richmond.

We seemed to be doing a damn fine job attacking the basket and getting to the line. We got back in the game with solid defense and interior play. We were in the double bonus with 10 minutes left in the half. We did a terrible job capitalizing on something that was working for us, and instead keeped swinging for the knock out punch.

It was poor coaching…plain and simple.

Very interesting responses. Reponses and thinking like this make me want another coach. I’m not calling for his head but what kind of thinking is this? Are we in middle school? Afraid to hurt his confidence? Isn’t going 1-23 pretty damaging to your confidence? Wouldn’t it be much more effective to call a TO and say:

“Well, the 3 ball is not falling for us right now. Let’s try something else.” Instead we get: “Well, the 3 ball is not falling for us right now…let’s keep heaving it and eventually something has to go in, right?”

This is ridiculous. And the comment about not having Tyler Hansbrough…ugh.

Funny how we don’t want to hurt feelings but I have seen Dean Smith and Coach K two of the best college coaches of all time, pull their ENTIRE team out put them on the bench for minutes, not even put in the 6th and 7th options, I mean go DEEP into the bench, not even say a word or talk to his key players and then put them back on the court. Feelings may get hurt, but a message gets sent.

Ditto, seems like poor responses, but like silvio I was not there, but if this is true, he's not going to find support if he mocks or gets defensive like that with fans, whether they do it to him first or not. Its called being a bigger man, especially if you are a face of the school.

Sorry, but he’s right.

He’s right in YOUR opinion maybe.

Things were contentious. Both sides were fairly heated. But at least it beats the one call Lutz Live that feels like tooth pulling for questions.

[B]Just for Fun[/B] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][IMG]http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/7351/95231770ij0.jpg[/IMG][/SIZE][/FONT]

I suppose he could have brought up Monmouth, we shot better from 3 in that game (24%) than the previous two. We also made the same amount (6) in the last two games combined.

The Richmond stat is a little misleading because we were down for most of the game, double digits down.

But seeing similar patterns , a Sr. leader making poor shot selections in successive game (richmond and dayton) is [B] not bad luck[/B]. It is a larger problem. What problem? I have no idea and won't try to speculate. But it does deserve some sort of caution (sitting down (note I did not use the "B" word) for some part of the game) from the Coach.

He did mention in the post game comments from the Dayton game that he’s probably been playing Goldwire too much and is looking into cutting his minutes.

I hate to bring it up but that's why Coach K is the best in the game, even when they were up by 10 last night he was still riding his team and coaching for improvment.
He's right in YOUR opinion maybe.

How is that not right? Let me guess… your inferiority complex kept you from watching that game. Watch any game, he doesn’t care if he’s play NC School of the Deaf and Blind, his team will compete efficiently and at every moment of the game, so they can become better. There is NO opinion to that. I don’t care if you don’t like the guy, the school, or if you believe he whines and curses too much, it still doesn’t take away from the fact that he gets the results from his group of kids… that you respect, if you know anything about basketball.

I did not listen to any of Lutz Live Thursday, but If I am in Lutz position and someone calls in with “sarcasm” or “attitude” in their question I am going to probably answer it in the same tone. Yes he needs to be respectful, but he dosn’t have to sit down and take some 20 year old student trying to “show him up” on the radio.

[QUOTE=cibik02;292760]why are we last in the league in fg%??? is it because we shoot twice as much as all the other teams. The Bonnies shoot better than us…ughhhhhhh. GW who is 5-13 shoot better than us. its one thing to be average in the middle, but to be lastttttttttt. Awful. not even 2nd to last. Last.[/QUOTE]

Because Bobby likes to recruit [U]athletes[/U]. They do not have to be good basketball players. We have a long history of this.

I did not listen to any of Lutz Live Thursday, but If I am in Lutz position and someone calls in with "sarcasm" or "attitude" in their question I am going to probably answer it in the same tone. Yes he needs to be respectful, but he dosn't have to sit down and take some 20 year old student trying to "show him up" on the radio.
If it helps, 3 out of 4 "callers" were as old, or older, than Lutz.

[QUOTE=eason49;292815]To add on what was said, I think it’s interesting to note that Lutz said “we don’t have a Hansbrough” regarding the inside game. He also said, I believe directly, that we [I]can not[/I] win without the three ball.[/QUOTE]

We don’t have a Roy Williams either.

Bit of a downer to read about his responses. Hmmm.

no doubt we aren’t an inside team first. That said, we had a lead of 8 points in the 2nd half with 8 minutes to play. and had fouled out 2 of their big guys? come on coach. phil + coley + wilderness/dewhurst + lee/anderson + gerrity, and feed the damn post or let dewhurst drive the lane. its really not hard. tell them to get to the rim one way or another is the first option, and the 2nd is a kick out jumper.

shooting a 3, guarded or not, with 20+ sec left on the shotclock in that situation is bad shot selection (even if it goes in).

[quote=kenakabones;292746]Actually I’m the one who had the first call in regarding the shot selection, right when he was asking me if I seen the other games (as he repeated later in the show) my cell phone died…

First, let me state that Bobby is a very educated person and would know better than to state, “asking me if I SEEN the other games.” He knows the correct grammar would be, “have you seen” or “did you see.” Secondly, do you cry when we win taking those shots? Did you listen to him when speaking of giving kids “confindence” in shooting the ball? If you take the shots away the confindence to shoot tough shots and score would go away as well. And a big part of his displeasure was probably due to the fact that he knew he was getting questioned by a snot-nosed brat who chats on the boards and knows nothing about the INS and OUTS of basketball. Do you ever hear Roy Williams being questioned about shot selection or why this or why that? No! You want to know why??? Because his alumni, fans, administration back him 100%. I still think Bobby should tell everyone to kiss his a** and take the USC job and leave us here wondering what now…

[QUOTE=ninerID;292857]Funny how we don’t want to hurt feelings but I have seen Dean Smith and Coach K two of the best college coaches of all time, pull their ENTIRE team out put them on the bench for minutes, not even put in the 6th and 7th options, I mean go DEEP into the bench, not even say a word or talk to his key players and then put them back on the court. Feelings may get hurt, but a message gets sent.[/QUOTE]

See thats the stuff I am talking about. You think Bob Knight won 3 national titles by not hurting his players’s confidence? Jimminy Christmas!

DOBA, for him to just shrug his shoulders and say "We won against good teams" is like throwing in the towel. He get's paid a lot of money to coach the players, not pat them on the back if they shoot 70% or 5%. I hate to bring it up but that's why Coach K is the best in the game, even when they were up by 10 last night he was still riding his team and coaching for improvment. Lutz seems to have the attitude that if the shots aren't falling he thinks, ah shucks we'll get them next time. Pathetic if you ask me.

You sir are an idiot. Coach K is the best in the game…Why???..well, let’s see…maybe because he has 8 All-Americans on his team that are able to make decisions on the court because they have the confidence to shoot/play…Duke takes wild, contested shots as well because, like Bobby, he gives them the confindence to shoot tough shots. The difference is…they have the pick of the litter with proven basketball skills before they even step on campus…We on the other hand get the red-headed step children nobody else wants and have to develop them over time. Hopefully, like Lee, they dont get worn down by the end of the season because unlike Duke players 6’5, 6’4, etc. we have to depend on 5’11 to get it done. You people dont see how Bobby and Rob develop average players (Jobey, Young, Plavich, Alexande, Goldwire) into go-to-guys. You will never accept the fact that Charlotte will never(I dont care who the coach is) get All-American caliber players. Now if you want to hire a cheater like Huggins to come in here and destroy the integrity of our program…then go for it…because cheating is the only way Charlotte will ever be were you think we should be…

How is that not right? Let me guess... your inferiority complex kept you from watching that game. Watch any game, he doesn't care if he's play NC School of the Deaf and Blind, his team will compete efficiently and at every moment of the game, so they can become better. There is [U][B]NO[/B][/U] opinion to that. I don't care if you don't like the guy, the school, or if you believe he whines and curses too much, it still doesn't take away from the fact that he gets the results from his group of kids... that you respect, if you know anything about basketball.

Ease up there Sparky! I didn’t realize you were an internet psychologist…Get over yourself. The original post was that “Coach K is the best in the business”, and I believe that is ATLEAST debatable. If you don’t, thats fine, but don’t act like it is beyond debate!..You might want to also consider that it is a LITTLE easier to coach a team full of 5-star and MCD’s All Americans than it is a team full of 2 and 3 star players! That sometimes makes you look a little better. Ask the folks at Kansas State what just one great player can do for a team. I’m not making excuses for Bobby or saying he is perfect (far from it), but not everyone buys into the “Coach K is the greatest ever” hype!
:tongue:

[quote=ninerdad101;292934]

Actually I’m the one who had the first call in regarding the shot selection, right when he was asking me if I seen the other games (as he repeated later in the show) my cell phone died…

First, let me state that Bobby is a very educated person and would know better than to state, “asking me if I SEEN the other games.” He knows the correct grammar would be, “have you seen” or “did you see.” Secondly, do you cry when we win taking those shots? Did you listen to him when speaking of giving kids “confindence” in shooting the ball? If you take the shots away the confindence to shoot tough shots and score would go away as well. And a big part of his displeasure was probably due to the fact that he knew he was getting questioned by a snot-nosed brat who chats on the boards and knows nothing about the INS and OUTS of basketball. Do you ever hear Roy Williams being questioned about shot selection or why this or why that? No! You want to know why??? Because his alumni, fans, administration back him 100%.

You posts are wrong at so many levels that reading them is giving me a bleeding ulcer.

Your not gonna strip a kids confidence if you coach them on the art of shot selection. They are big boys, they can handle it. Anyone who has played an ounce of competative sports would know this.

Secondly, if you dont think Roy Williams gets questioned about shot selection, then your sadly mistaken. He’s under a microscope, more so than Lutz. Its stupid to believe otherwise.

I still think Bobby should tell everyone to kiss his a** and take the USC job

Yes, we know you still think this. You say it with every post.

[QUOTE=ninerdad101;292934][quote=kenakabones;292746]Actually I’m the one who had the first call in regarding the shot selection, right when he was asking me if I seen the other games (as he repeated later in the show) my cell phone died…

First, let me state that Bobby is a very educated person and would know better than to state, “asking me if I SEEN the other games.” He knows the correct grammar would be, “have you seen” or “did you see.” Secondly, do you cry when we win taking those shots? Did you listen to him when speaking of giving kids “confindence” in shooting the ball? If you take the shots away the confindence to shoot tough shots and score would go away as well. And a big part of his displeasure was probably due to the fact that he knew he was getting questioned by a snot-nosed brat who chats on the boards and knows nothing about the INS and OUTS of basketball. Do you ever hear Roy Williams being questioned about shot selection or why this or why that? No! You want to know why??? Because his alumni, fans, administration back him 100%. I still think Bobby should tell everyone to kiss his a** and take the USC job and leave us here wondering what now…[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree. This has less do with confidence in shooting and more to do with recognizing a good shot versus a bad shot given the particular point in a game.

Maybe the better question would have been “Coach, it appears our team had some difficulty making prudent decisions with the ball, while protecting a lead, late in the Dayton game. What is your strategy in these situations and how do you get the team to execute that strategy?”

No matter how you say it, its gonna put any coach on the defensive. But I think it is a fair question. It doesn’t take a UNC-CH Alum to figure out we lack discipline. As far as comparing the questions Coach Lutz fields versus Coach Williams, well thats an entirely different ball game. One coach has mutliple Final Fours and a National Champoinship and the other doesn’t. I’m not rubbing salt just pointing out the obvious. Heck, Coach K is such a campus diety he has a lifetime guaranteed job at Duke…you think anyone even cares to ask him the tough questions? Hell no.

I will agree though, if the question is asked with disrespect and not genuinely…F%$^ the caller…next question.